[Football] The Apology

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
How can they keep apologising for the same mistakes over and over and not learn from them?

What I don't get is, that Mitoma foul was an easy call for VAR. How the f##k do they get it wrong? VAR has time to review replays as many times as they wish (not that it was needed).

I would love to have sat in the VAR room and heard the discussions leading to their non decision

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I wonder if they got Mike Gatting to write the apology....

1.png

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How can they keep apologising for the same mistakes over and over and not learn from them?

What I don't get is, that Mitoma foul was an easy call for VAR. How the f##k do they get it wrong? VAR has time to review replays as many times as they wish (not that it was needed).

I would love to have sat in the VAR room and heard the discussions leading to their non decision
They were probably comparing their betting slips :smile:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So many apologies surely the time has come for the PL to ask for an external investigation to look as whether those making the decisions are not in the pockets of gambling rings.

With so much money attached to the PL it would at least remove any doubt assuming there was no evidence to support this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Since VAR came in, it does seem that it is trying to stop goals being scored, rather than checking if the goals were 'legal'.

Has a goal been ruled out onfield but given by VAR? It probably has but I can't immediately think of one.
Yes, loads of offsides have been found to be onside.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They need to add official PGMOL apologies to the league table - they should serve as a tie-breaker ahead of goal difference.

If you accumulate more than three in a season you get a bonus point and Howard Webb has to walk naked through the streets and let fans throw tomatoes at him.

Only seems fair.
From what I can collect together:

Aston Villa 2
West Ham 1
Newcastle United 1
Arsenal 2
Nottingham Forest 1
Manchester United 1
Brighton 3
Wolves 1

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
A pointless gesture as it left us pointless.
Completely meaningless unless the authorities learn from the mistakes they continuously make.
Could of saved on the overpaid to someone coming in to type the apology, pathetic gesture, again .

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Falls well short

At the very least we need an actual statement from the officials confirming why a penalty wasn’t given

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
I used to like Nat Geo's "Air Crash Investigation". The recorded conversation between pilots often help us to understand what was actually happening. I think referees conversation should be recorded too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So many apologies surely the time has come for the PL to ask for an external investigation to look as whether those making the decisions are not in the pockets of gambling rings.

With so much money attached to the PL it would at least remove any doubt assuming there was no evidence to support this.
They could launch such an investigation and it would find no such thing.

What is needed is a clear rubric for decision making, better use of VAR, no rushing decisions, and binning of the clear and obvious bollocks. I was in favour of a 20 second rule, but perhaps it may be better the VAR officials get it right rather than rush it so the immediatist contingent among supporters are sated, and not infuriated by a delay.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The apology should cover Mr. Attwell's handling of the whole game. Aside of the disallowed goals and non penalties, he failed to red card Perisic for a two footed assault on Gross. Failed to adminster a second yellow to Hojbjerg after a ghastly, studs down the back of Mac's calves and did nothing when certain Spurs players were clearly simulating and play acting to break up play and waste time.
This was such a sub par performance, it smacks of a man out of his depth and incompetent. Sounds ideal to carry on and referee in the PL.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I see that Stellini is saying that Spurs got lucky - but is also adding (almost with a 'so what') that Spurs have been done over this season too.

We have had three - yes three - apologies form PGMOL this season. As a matter of interest, how many other clubs have had apologies - and if so, have any of them received three?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Actually, how difficult would it be for VAR to organise a camera and audio for that to become the accepted practice? There's a lot to be said for transparency and openness.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I see that Stellini is saying that Spurs got lucky - but is also adding (almost with a 'so what') that Spurs have been done over this season too.

We have had three - yes three - apologies form PGMOL this season. As a matter of interest, how many other clubs have had apologies - and if so, have any of them received three?
We should have had a 4th for the non-referral of the blatant foul on Welbeck at Leicester ( another 2 points down the Swanee ) I know Arsenal received one, the same day as our Palace fiasco.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Actually, how difficult would it be for VAR to organise a camera and audio for that to become the accepted practice? There's a lot to be said for transparency and openness.
Yep, like rugby when the conversation between refs and the TMO are broadcast. it smacks of something untoward when we have no idea how decisions are reached when so many are contentious and apologised for afterwards

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports