The albums thread - 2014

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Every R.E.M. album since Automatic has been a massive disappointment, hasn't it? I thought that was universally accepted.

Absolutely. My point being they ALWAYS use the "return to form" phrase in the adverts for each new album since then.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Absolutely. My point being they ALWAYS use the "return to form" phrase in the adverts for each new album since then.

Ah! My apologies, I'd not seen these adverts, just the reviews and my own view after (inevitably) giving each album 2 listens and then giving up. It all went downhill after 'Green' for me. Now, that IS a fine album.

spellfast

Jul 14, 2011
Stone Cross
For me the most anticipated album of the year Joe Bonamassa - Different Shades of Blue you can hear the title track here

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Ah! My apologies, I'd not seen these adverts, just the reviews and my own view after (inevitably) giving each album 2 listens and then giving up. It all went downhill after 'Green' for me. Now, that IS a fine album.

I'd go back one album for me - hated Green. 25 or so years later, Murmur and Chronic Town are my favourites by some distance - which makes me the classic music snob I suppose, although, to be fair to me, I wasn't pointing out that their first EP/album was their best when they first had a top 40 single - I was still a Document fanboy then.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As someone who also owns TOTBL but grew up in the era where all their influences come from it really didn't resonate with me

That's what I'm trying to get at. That album has a cult of people aged mainly around 30-35. None of my older mates (and to be properly into music you MUST have some older mates eh??) have much time for it. Aside from myself I know 3 people my age who would have it as one of their very favourite albums, that's not counting Mello.

Doesn't change the way I feel about it but it's an interesting example of that right place, right time thing. I think it was also helped by the ridiculously poor state of commercial(ish) guitar music at the time. The poor kids around my age got the arse end of Britpop, followed by Travis, Starsailor and Coldplay, no wonder we went potty for it. It certainly sent my musical taste in a different direction. A big "gateway" album for me along with 'Is This It.'

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
You could stream it in Resident, not sure if you still can, but I did.

Massive new album coming out tomorrow, Catfish and The Bottlemen's debut album is released tomorrow. Already have had a sold out UK tour, onto their second one which is all sold out apart from in Brighton where they're playing at the Concorde 2. Should be a class album, and they're a quality act!

Would just like to bump this. The Balcony came out today, and is as brilliant as I thought it would be. It's on Spotify so give it a listen and you'll see why they're one of the best new acts at the moment.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Preternaturals - Grumbling Fur: very pleasant psychedelia, but I'm afraid every song reminds me of a silly Adam and Joe creation and renders me unable to take it seriously. My loss, probably....

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Preternaturals - Grumbling Fur: very pleasant psychedelia, but I'm afraid every song reminds me of a silly Adam and Joe creation and renders me unable to take it seriously. My loss, probably....

This record is the most divisive at home at the moment. I love it, she thinks it's rubbish. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
This record is the most divisive at home at the moment. I love it, she thinks it's rubbish. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

The vocals are reminding me of this a bit:
http://julianfox.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/tom-2/

Sometimes, I feel this song is like an exaggerated version of my life. As it happens, I DO have to go on a brief business trip from London City Airport on Monday. Depressing. Still, got the match to look forward to first.....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Am loving the Grumbling Furs album too, a real treat.

Also, I had a first listen to Leonard Cohen's new album yesterday and it's very, very good. Despite the music being borne of necessity, it still feels like the work of an artist rather than the work of someone who needs the dosh. There's still the clever wordplay, still the Spector-esque girl backing singers. It's very, very good.

I don't know how popular Bandcamp bands are with the musos on here but I have found some excellent bands over the years from that site. One of my favourites is Terror Bird, a singer from Vancouver. She's a lo-fi, electro-pop singer heavily influenced by the 80s. She reminds me of Anika Invada/Siouxsie Sioux in delivery at times. Her sound is quite sparse, like an early OMD album but there's just something about her tunes that makes me smile.

https://terrorbird.bandcamp.com/album/clubs-svn-sns-records

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Am loving the Grumbling Furs album too, a real treat.

Also, I had a first listen to Leonard Cohen's new album yesterday and it's very, very good. Despite the music being borne of necessity, it still feels like the work of an artist rather than the work of someone who needs the dosh. There's still the clever wordplay, still the Spector-esque girl backing singers. It's very, very good.

I don't know how popular Bandcamp bands are with the musos on here but I have found some excellent bands over the years from that site. One of my favourites is Terror Bird, a singer from Vancouver. She's a lo-fi, electro-pop singer heavily influenced by the 80s. She reminds me of Anika Invada/Siouxsie Sioux in delivery at times. Her sound is quite sparse, like an early OMD album but there's just something about her tunes that makes me smile.

https://terrorbird.bandcamp.com/album/clubs-svn-sns-records

Love bandcamp. Great site, great ethos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports