Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Would just like to bump this. The Balcony came out today, and is as brilliant as I thought it would be. It's on Spotify so give it a listen and you'll see why they're one of the best new acts at the moment.

Have a look at the link below - do CFATB really have this behind their merch stall? Words are unable to express my disatisfaction if they do.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bxr99qyCUAA3M2T.jpg:large

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You really believe that do you?

I don't as a rule find LAD bible misogyny funny but each to their own. Clearly not for me, I'll move on.

Call sexism out where you see it and that, joke or no joke, is completely sexist. No place in music for me. Women are performers as well, not just groupies.

I expect they don't tend to be supported by too many bands featuring girls?

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I don't as a rule find LAD bible misogyny funny but each to their own. Clearly not for me, I'll move on.

Call sexism out where you see it and that, joke or no joke, is completely sexist. No place in music for me. Women are performers as well, not just groupies.

I expect they don't tend to be supported by too many bands featuring girls?

As it is, I don't find the LAD Bible funny at all. I agree with you, but music is rocked by misogyny. Not saying it's right, but it's a light hearted joke which didn't they even admitted was a mistake. To compare it to cancer is a little extreme do you not think?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As it is, I don't find the LAD Bible funny at all. I agree with you, but music is rocked by misogyny. Not saying it's right, but it's a light hearted joke which didn't they even admitted was a mistake. To compare it to cancer is a little extreme do you not think?

In fairness it probably was but I can't empahsise how much I find this completely and utterly unacceptable. Music should inclusive, it should be a force for good, not the entrenchment of Jurassic Age attitudes around gender and sexuality. If I had a daughter who brought me home a photo of this from a gig she'd been to I'd be destroying their records. Women need positive role models musically not to be bombarded with this madonna/whore bullshit.

The band should be forced to watch this until they can recite it word for word. This girl's got more balls than all those needle dicks put together. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1785612/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here is a stream for Avi Bufallo's album which has sneaked into my top ten releases of the year. Guarenteed to put a smile on your face and lift your mood whatever day it is. Hope for a live date as not seem him since The Great Escape a few years ago.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/20...cuckold-album-stream-and-track-by-track-guide

Loving this. Also just bought the rather glorious vinyl version of the new Hercules and Love Affair's album. It won't change your world but it will certainly embetter it. Some nice 90s house moments on it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Loving this. Also just bought the rather glorious vinyl version of the new Hercules and Love Affair's album. It won't change your world but it will certainly embetter it. Some nice 90s house moments on it.

I've not heard of Avi Bufallo prior to this thread, but what the Hell, sounds good. I'll buy it tomorrow.

It had better be good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've not heard of Avi Bufallo prior to this thread, but what the Hell, sounds good. I'll buy it tomorrow.

It had better be good.

We have very similar tastes so I reckon you'll like it. It's quite dreamy floaty west coast with a pop sentiment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...but you must like fairly high-pitched male vocals.

Yeah, that's a fair comment. It's not a particularly strong high-pitch either.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Liking that Vessel record v much. It might even make it into my top five of the year.
Another, very different, recent purchase I'm enjoying is House Music by Steven James Adams. It's no major departure from his earlier work with Broken Family Band. In other words, country-tinged pop, intelligent lyrics and delicious wit.
Still trying to work out the new Shellac album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Still have the Avi Buffallo on repeat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here