Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Probably a bit middle of the road for this thread but the new Natalie Merchant long player is class.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Albums that have impressed me in the last couple of weeks:

The Horrors - Luminous (they are playing Worthing in October, incidentally)
The Swans - To Be Kind
Badbadnotgood - III

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
CorgiRegisteredFriend;63 59862 said:
Is that sub pop video disclaimer serious? Would not be suprised- rather unsettling!

I'm sure it's a mash up of his previous videos though. Check out the video to Peace on The Rise - amazing stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am finally getting Damon Albarn's solo album after quite a few listens. A lovely and very spaciously sounding long-palyer with some lovely little melodies and ear-worms. It took some time to work though. In sound it is closest to his GTBTQ work but a lot lighter and brighter.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I am finally getting Damon Albarn's solo album after quite a few listens. A lovely and very spaciously sounding long-palyer with some lovely little melodies and ear-worms. It took some time to work though. In sound it is closest to his GTBTQ work but a lot lighter and brighter.

I was going the post the same yesterday. I'm a massive Albarn fan since I bought Blurs She So High, and I love GTBTQ. I also finally got round to seeing the Culture show Albarn special the other day where he explains the album, adding a little background to it. You can't help but enjoy a song about a baby elephant can you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was going the post the same yesterday. I'm a massive Albarn fan since I bought Blurs She So High, and I love GTBTQ. I also finally got round to seeing the Culture show Albarn special the other day where he explains the album, adding a little background to it. You can't help but enjoy a song about a baby elephant can you.

:thumbsup: Mr Tembo is on his way up the hill........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I will look out for the Culture Show special. Like you I think he is an incredible talent.

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
I'd echo that the 2nd album sounds more to your taste and is possibly their best album although the 3rd album smother is excellent too but is more synth and electronic.

Not yet listened to Two Dancers just yet(cheers SHC), but had a few listens to Smother. Working my way backwards. Really enjoying it. Loop the Loop is a great track !

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This thread had slipped to page 5!

I have to say, Gruff Rhys has released a corker in American Interior. The live show at The Corn Exchange was wonderful, but the album itself...full of fantastic tunes, harmonies, styles. His best solo effort, and the most Super Furry thing he's done without the Super Furries.

Nobody seems to have commented on it yet, but it is, for me, album of the year so far.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This thread had slipped to page 5!

I have to say, Gruff Rhys has released a corker in American Interior. The live show at The Corn Exchange was wonderful, but the album itself...full of fantastic tunes, harmonies, styles. His best solo effort, and the most Super Furry thing he's done without the Super Furries.

Nobody seems to have commented on it yet, but it is, for me, album of the year so far.

I'm looking forward to purchasing this. Die Frau has heard some of the tracks and she is raving about it and echoes your summary. He's an incredible, and prolific, not to mention slightly bonkers (but in a nice way), talent.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
6 Music last night played the new single from Pete Fij and Terry Bickers' Kickstarter funded album. Typically I can't remember what either are called (or access You Tube at work) but it sounded amazing. Clever lyrics and musically mellow in a very good way. Anyone know if Resident will be stocking the album? Imagine it will be limited numbers given how it was funded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here