Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are you referring to:
Neneh Cherry -- Blank Project, and
RocketNumberNine -- MeYouWeYou (if this, you might be reinforcing my point: Amazon says it was released in 2013)

The album (a colaboration with RocketNumberNine) is indeed called Blank Project and was definitely released this year.... on Feb 25th 2014 according to Wikipedia. I'm not sure what MeYouWeYou is though; a quick Google suggests it is a CD by RocketNumberNine on their own.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The album (a colaboration with RocketNumberNine) is indeed called Blank Project and was definitely released this year.... on Feb 25th 2014 according to Wikipedia. I'm not sure what MeYouWeYou is though; a quick Google suggests it is a CD by RocketNumberNine on their own.

Got you. Will give it a go.

Flex Your Head

I've finally got around to this. I'm getting a lot of crunchy American guitar chords, I'm hearing Japandroids, No Age. I'm sensing some hints of ...AYWKUBTTOD. Am I liking it though? You know, I think I am. :thumbsup:
I find it gets better the more I listen to it, and I like to play it from start to finish in order whereas I'm usually happy to shuffle (fnarrr fnarrr etc). It becomes hypnotic and almost trance-inducing, which is surprising for what is quite a noisy offering. I find it works best on public transport after a few beers :thumbsup:

Quite like this review (but I hate the font) - http://musicalmathematics.co.uk/album-review-playlounge-pilot/

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'll bet you do. Half of Hype Williams and latterly Dean Blunt and Inga Copeland. The lead track on the record is a collab with Actress

And just mentioning her gives me an excuse to post this. It's in any conversation about my favourite tracks of the decade. Storming album as well

Copeland album pre-ordered, cheers.

James, on your show you said Oneohtrix Point Never was a must have ticket. Are they playing?? Maybe I misheard.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I find it gets better the more I listen to it, and I like to play it from start to finish in order whereas I'm usually happy to shuffle (fnarrr fnarrr etc). It becomes hypnotic and almost trance-inducing, which is surprising for what is quite a noisy offering. I find it works best on public transport after a few beers :thumbsup:

Quite like this review (but I hate the font) - http://musicalmathematics.co.uk/album-review-playlounge-pilot/

you're right - that font has ruined my eyesight :down:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just catching up on some Jules Holland, Neneh Cherry was fantastic in the first show, she's just an all round class act.

It's worth searching out the interview and "Everything" as well. She even does "Buffalo Stance"

Last edited:

Mr Icicle Boots

Apr 12, 2013
North East Aegean.
Really getting into the new Eels album, The Cautionary Tales Of Mark Oliver Everett. Mostly sparse, quiet songs with a great big dollop of lyrical darkness. Not as upbeat as the last couple but excellent imho. Also a shout for the new reissue of XTC's Skylarking. Brilliant sound quality, something to do with reversing the polarity?? And it includes Dear God. Quality.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Been listening to The Amazing Snakeheads album this week and its crept into my top five releases so far this year. Looking forward to seeing them live. Truelly AMAZING.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Been listening to The Amazing Snakeheads album this week and its crept into my top five releases so far this year. Looking forward to seeing them live. Truelly AMAZING.

If it's that Champagne Holocaust (terrible title), I really don't care for it. They need to learn how to write a tune. Would still like to see them live.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
HT kindly pointed me in the direction of that Neneh Cherry album, which is excellent. Two new releases that I'm fond of too are Turn Blue by the Black Keys, and the majestic noise created by Swans.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Swans new one is insanely good. Somehow manages to be heavier and more accessible than The Seer. Early days I know but I just can't see anything else topping it this year.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
tUnE-yArDs Nikki Nack

One potato, 10 straws = Science in action YES

I really, really liked that without being totally able to explain why. I suspect that video's going to give me interesting dreams the next time I overdo the Stilton

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
tUnE-yArDs Nikki Nack

One potato, 10 straws = Science in action YES

She's out of this world good live. Unbelievable voice and unbelievable presence. She hasn't suffered too much from the increase in venue sizes either, she's the type of performer that just grabs the audience by the scruff of the neck and doesn't let go.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Had a recent splurge on albums:-

The Horrors - Luminous - Another very strong album.
Gruff Rhys- American Interiors - I've only listened once but sounds good on first listen
Black Keys - Turn Blue
Chromeo - White Women - Sounds like a cross between RAM by Daft Punk, Hall & Oates with a bit of Flight of The Concordes.
Future Islands - Singles

Will probably Swans based on the recommendations here.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Had a recent splurge on albums:-

The Horrors - Luminous - Another very strong album.
Gruff Rhys- American Interiors - I've only listened once but sounds good on first listen
Black Keys - Turn Blue
Chromeo - White Women - Sounds like a cross between RAM by Daft Punk, Hall & Oates with a bit of Flight of The Concordes.
Future Islands - Singles

Will probably Swans based on the recommendations here.

Swans is two hours long, and it all works. It's made my really excited about seeing them in a few weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here