Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I think the phrase I'm supposed to use is, my bad.
There was a feature on the Amazing Snakeheads in The Guardian a few weeks back, and they looked interesting and exciting live. Were they?

Yes- absolutley brilliant. Saw them in a crowd of about fifty in a venue in Brighton called Boutique. It was so small that when the band left the stage they actually entered into the street behind which happened to be the shit hole that is West Street. Saw them there afterwards with their stuff as they were waiting to be picked up. Pretty surreal. I recommend them.

Mr Icicle Boots

Apr 12, 2013
North East Aegean.
I'm loving the album by The Both, an Aimee Mann & Ted Leo collaboration. Fans of either will be impressed. Leo's 'Neil Young-esque' guitar had a bit of 'umph' to the always excellent Mann. 'Milwaukee' the first single is a good taster. Recommended!

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Anyone listening to Present Tense by Wild Beasts? I think a couple have posted about them on this thread, but I didn't take too much notice then.

I was checking out some of the support acts to Arcade Fire, who are playing at Hyde Park on July 3rd. If I'm honest, I'd never heard of them before, but of what I have heard so far, I like what I'm hearing!
Not sure if it's a very good album or it's just very interesting. Certainly very different! On 3 or 4 listens to Present Tense, there are some great songs namely Sweet Spot, the gorgeous 'poppy' A Simple Beautiful Truth and the standout track Mecca.
There are 2 vocalists, one of whom has a very distinctive voice(bit Thom Yorkey), which you'll either love or loathe. The other guys voice isn't that great(in my opinion), though he doesn't do lead on too many.
Anyway, I'm liking this album more and more with each listen, and if there is a slight criticism it's the drumming. A bit too electronic for me..

Ironically, I can't make it to Hyde Park now, shame :(

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I always tell other people off for saying this but I genuinely think it's been a disppointing year so far.

The Copeland album may well change my mind (http://boomkat.com/vinyl/950700-copeland-because-i-m-worth-it.) Swans new one is going to be monumental, I'm currently deperately trying not to listen to the low quality rip that is doing the rounds at the moment.

The vinyl arrived today. I can't play the first track ever again as it attacks my tinnitus. the rest, pretty good.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The vinyl arrived today. I can't play the first track ever again as it attacks my tinnitus. the rest, pretty good.

I'm really liking insult 2 injury and Advice To A Young girl. I played the former on the radio yesterday and the girlfriend remarked that it was boring, annoying and talentless. We've been converging too much recently so I took that as evidence I'm on the right lines.

Heard this yet? I haven't but I'm intrigued

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19147-millie-andrea-drop-the-vowels/

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fancy a really quite odd video accompanied by rather good Scandinavian synth pop? No? Well, you're getting it anyway.

[yt]LEoGQU_k78k[/yt]

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone listening to Present Tense by Wild Beasts? I think a couple have posted about them on this thread, but I didn't take too much notice then.

I was checking out some of the support acts to Arcade Fire, who are playing at Hyde Park on July 3rd. If I'm honest, I'd never heard of them before, but of what I have heard so far, I like what I'm hearing!
Not sure if it's a very good album or it's just very interesting. Certainly very different! On 3 or 4 listens to Present Tense, there are some great songs namely Sweet Spot, the gorgeous 'poppy' A Simple Beautiful Truth and the standout track Mecca.
There are 2 vocalists, one of whom has a very distinctive voice(bit Thom Yorkey), which you'll either love or loathe. The other guys voice isn't that great(in my opinion), though he doesn't do lead on too many.
Anyway, I'm liking this album more and more with each listen, and if there is a slight criticism it's the drumming. A bit too electronic for me..

Ironically, I can't make it to Hyde Park now, shame :(

Cracking band, your comment about the drum sound suggests to me you'd get more out of Two Dancers, their second album

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'm really liking insult 2 injury and Advice To A Young girl. I played the former on the radio yesterday and the girlfriend remarked that it was boring, annoying and talentless. We've been converging too much recently so I took that as evidence I'm on the right lines.

Heard this yet? I haven't but I'm intrigued

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19147-millie-andrea-drop-the-vowels/

Have a listen
https://bleep.com/release/50160-millie-andrea-drop-the-vowels
Not really my sound, bit too drum n bassy for me.

I bought the new Tobacco album today though, a lot of fun found in there. Like Umberto on acid. https://bleep.com/release/50893-tobacco-ultima-ii-massage

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quick question - anyone got a site/shop they use regularly for well priced, good quality vinyl? Prices vary so much online and I'm just getting into the ol' vinyl game.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Quick question - anyone got a site/shop they use regularly for well priced, good quality vinyl? Prices vary so much online and I'm just getting into the ol' vinyl game.

Resident for new releases, Boomkat and Bleep for those they don't get. Some limited ones are Rough Trade only but you'll be paying postage for the online shops.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Resident for new releases, Boomkat and Bleep for those they don't get. Some limited ones are Rough Trade only but you'll be paying postage for the online shops.

Nice, thanks. Am familiar with all of those but useful to know they are the "good ones". How's about for rarer vinyl (ie there was only 1 pressing and they sold out yonks ago, like Thom Yorke's The Eraser which goes for silly money online).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Cracking band, your comment about the drum sound suggests to me you'd get more out of Two Dancers, their second album

I'd echo that the 2nd album sounds more to your taste and is possibly their best album although the 3rd album smother is excellent too but is more synth and electronic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here