Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
For anyone who has any like towards Drum and Bass Ultior Motive's album was just released on Metalheadz (out Monday) with the 12' dropping on my door step this morning - that will be a lovely thing to listen to today

sounds interesting

been loving the metrik album

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Man alive. I need to post reviews of Haley Bonar, The Vaselines, Engineers, Avi Buffalo and FKA Twigs. Too many - I may skip the last two as they have already found well-documented favour. In short: AV - very pleasant, but not a killer album. FKA Twigs: interesting, some lovely moments, albeit cold and sharp-edged in the main. No time this evening: Bake-Off.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Hanging out for payday next week, lining up Royal Blood, Weezer and Foxygen. Anyone heard the Weezer or Foxygen new albums yet? I've read some great reviews but tend to take most with a pinch of salt.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bumper delivery at Tubthumper Turm yesterday. Today I'll be working my way through Flying Lotus, the jewel in the Kompakt crown who is Gui Borratto, Caribou, White Fence, a set of Plastikman re-issues, Ty Segall, grumbling Fur and I'm currently listening to the rather nice Owen Pallett album.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I was lucky enough to have a listen to the Scott Walker/ Sunn album yesterday.

It is absolutely outstanding, a highlight of both of their careers. Clealry I'll need a few more listens but it's going to be there or thereabout for AOTY.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The new Caribou album is fantastic swapping between that and Alt-J at the moment.

The new 2 bears album is out Monday with a live date Tuesday October 27th at the club in pool valley (can't remember the name)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I bought Manipulator a few weeks ago, the new Ty Segal record, but have only just got it out of its cellophane wrap. I forgot I had it, and knew that a couple on here had said it wasn't up to his normal standard.

It is now being played on rotation. An absolutely brilliant album - my favourite by him.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I tried to give the Avi Buffalo record a listen with 'er indoors yesterday, thought it might suit a lazy Sunday afternoon. We got half way through the second track before it was given the elbow (I suspect it might have been related to the vocals)

I quite liked it and will give it another go.

The new Iceage would be brilliant if it is was instrumental. As it is, it's utterly ruined by the singer's sub Doherty/McGowan at their worst drawl. Loved the first 2 records n'all. They were still pretty good live when I saw them at THe Shacklewell Arms t'other month.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Brightonian band, Fear of Men has been a constant this weekend. Very much a "Resident Records"-type band. Folky, whimsical, beautiful lyrics, slightly downtempo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I tried to give the Avi Buffalo record a listen with 'er indoors yesterday, thought it might suit a lazy Sunday afternoon. We got half way through the second track before it was given the elbow (I suspect it might have been related to the vocals)

I quite liked it and will give it another g.

It took me a few listens but I really like it now. Stick with it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Brightonian band, Fear of Men has been a constant this weekend. Very much a "Resident Records"-type band. Folky, whimsical, beautiful lyrics, slightly downtempo.

I like this, my wife does not. Something to do with the vocals. In the same way, my wife complains if I play Broadcast. Some types of female vocal make her quite angry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here