Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Wow! 936 is in my top albums of the decade so far, the new one to these ears is terrible cod reggae mixed with Europop. The decision to bring Indra's voice front centre is ridiculous - she can't sing and it just brings focus on some utterly excruciating lyrics. There are some pretty sounds here and there but not nearly enough.

In the space of 2 records they've gone from favourite band to pet hate.

Ha! i know exactly what you mean. 936 is one of my all time favourite albums. When I heard this one I was shocked. I think you're being harsh on her vocals. She can sing OK. The lyrics are hilariously bad but they always were. No different from New Order when Bernard Sumner took the helm. Or The Beloved. I think they generally manage to keep the psychedelia sound going but the balance isn't quite right. I still love it, especially the opener and Dreamquest.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ha! i know exactly what you mean. 936 is one of my all time favourite albums. When I heard this one I was shocked. I think you're being harsh on her vocals. She can sing OK. The lyrics are hilariously bad but they always were. No different from New Order when Bernard Sumner took the helm. Or The Beloved. I think they generally manage to keep the psychedelia sound going but the balance isn't quite right. I still love it, especially the opener and Dreamquest.

I just about put up with the last record (prefered the dub version) but had to draw the line here. The missus was in hysterics, I'll give it another go at some point I'm sure.

I was a big fan of that period up to and including 936 on Not Not Fun (Pocahaunted/ Magic Lantern/ Sun Araw/ Eternal Tapestry/ Mi Ami/ Rac-oo-oon/ Peaking Lights/ Rangers/ KWJAZ etc....) There's still good stuff on there but it's a little more sporadic now. Torn Hawk's album from this year is very good though. It seems that Amanda Brown is much more focused on 100% Silk now.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I'm with you on her voice. She can just about sing and I don't mind those little off-key moments. One of my favourite bands from the last 10 years is Swedish band JJ and quite often the singer, Elin Kastlander sounds flatter than a pancake.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just on the off chance that there are any metalheads on this thread I can recommend the new Winterfylleth album The Divination of Antiquity.

Just recently discovered this band and they have blown me away. A particularly British take on the black metal genre. The songs rooted in the landscape and old world British lore. Musically whilst it ticks all the fast as f*ck boxes this is combined with an expansive, melodic and orchestral sound that I find particularly epic. The album also has a couple of welcome acoustic breaks to lighten the mood. I'll admit it's an acquired taste and not for all, but if you were curious about the genre but wanted to avoid going down the Norwegian route this album would be as a good a start as any.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I'm with you on her voice. She can just about sing and I don't mind those little off-key moments. One of my favourite bands from the last 10 years is Swedish band JJ and quite often the singer, Elin Kastlander sounds flatter than a pancake.

I'll check JJ out too. Been playing that album by The Acid on Spotify the last hour. Brilliant stuff. Sounds like Thurston Moore embracing dance.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just on the off chance that there are any metalheads on this thread I can recommend the new Winterfylleth album The Divination of Antiquity.

Just recently discovered this band and they have blown me away. A particularly British take on the black metal genre. The songs rooted in the landscape and old world British lore. Musically whilst it ticks all the fast as f*ck boxes this is combined with an expansive, melodic and orchestral sound that I find particularly epic. The album also has a couple of welcome acoustic breaks to lighten the mood. I'll admit it's an acquired taste and not for all, but if you were curious about the genre but wanted to avoid going down the Norwegian route this album would be as a good a start as any.

Far from a full time metaller these days but was massively into Black metal in the mid to late 90's, then listened to a lot of doom until around '02/'03. Already been reccomended this lot by someone else so will now make sure that I give them a go.

Though I would say for anyone wanting to get into Black Metal - Go down the Norwegian route.

Are you going to the Godflesh show?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Far from a full time metaller these days but was massively into Black metal in the mid to late 90's, then listened to a lot of doom until around '02/'03. Already been reccomended this lot by someone else so will now make sure that I give them a go.

Though I would say for anyone wanting to get into Black Metal - Go down the Norwegian route.

Are you going to the Godflesh show?

Excellent, I hope you like it. I'm going to catch them at the Behemoth show in december up in London, very much looking forward to it.

I shall be at the Godflesh show, haven't seen them in absolutely ages. Think it was the only gig I ever saw at The Fridge in Brixton along with Treponem Pal if I recall correctly.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Excellent, I hope you like it. I'm going to catch them at the Behemoth show in december up in London, very much looking forward to it.

I shall be at the Godflesh show, haven't seen them in absolutely ages. Think it was the only gig I ever saw at The Fridge in Brixton along with Treponem Pal if I recall correctly.

Behemoth eh? That'll be a brilliant gig.

I'm enjoying the new Godflesh album far more than I thought I would. Glad they took their time over it.

Jul 7, 2003

Prefer my Rock & Metal on the slightly more melodic side that black/thrash metal but my general music taste is best described as eclectic (Herr Tubthumper knows all about that). This thread is all a bit 'indie' for me at times but always dip in to see what is out there as always open to try something different and will look at Winterfylleth

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I bought Manipulator a few weeks ago, the new Ty Segal record, but have only just got it out of its cellophane wrap. I forgot I had it, and knew that a couple on here had said it wasn't up to his normal standard.

It is now being played on rotation. An absolutely brilliant album - my favourite by him.
I've been enjoying it too. Aside from the obvious Feel, Suzie Thumb etc.. (up-tempo fuzzy goodness that you'd expect), Green Belly is the track I keep going back to. Still think the record's maybe a tad too long though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And now I'm listening to the new Gui Boratto album called Abaporu. If you like very clear, crisp and bouncy techno and house with a mix of melody then this is for you. There are a few club stompers on this as well as more regular songs and soundscapes. It's on the rather wonderful Kompakt label "Berlin does vodka techno, Koln does beer techno"

This guy is seriously good, check his back catalogue out. Then head to Kompakt for The Field and Coma.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And now I'm listening to the new Gui Boratto album called Abaporu. If you like very clear, crisp and bouncy techno and house with a mix of melody then this is for you. There are a few club stompers on this as well as more regular songs and soundscapes. It's on the rather wonderful Kompakt label "Berlin does vodka techno, Koln does beer techno"

This guy is seriously good, check his back catalogue out. Then head to Kompakt for The Field and Coma.

Will give that a go. Sounds a bit like this that I've been digging of late.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=15604

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Prefer my Rock & Metal on the slightly more melodic side that black/thrash metal but my general music taste is best described as eclectic (Herr Tubthumper knows all about that). This thread is all a bit 'indie' for me at times but always dip in to see what is out there as always open to try something different and will look at Winterfylleth

:thumbsup:

PS got my annual Motorhead ticket a few weeks back.

Jul 7, 2003
:thumbsup:

PS got my annual Motorhead ticket a few weeks back.

Who are the support acts? In the UK it is The Damned and The Bosshoss which could be interesting.

Got your near namesake Cheeky to come along to Alestorm the other night and he seemed to enjoy it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who are the support acts? In the UK it is The Damned and The Bosshoss which could be interesting.

Got your near namesake Cheeky to come along to Alestorm the other night and he seemed to enjoy it.

Over here it's The Damned and Skew Skindred. The latter seem to have formed purely to support Motörhead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here