Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thatcher T-Shirts Sold in Brighton...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This has become one of the most depressing threads I've ever read. One or two reasoned comments aside, it consists of people incapable of appreciating an alternative position calling one another names. Anyone with sympathy for trades unionism is a guilty of class envy, anyone with the opposite view is ignorant of history. Etc etc.

It's worrying that a demented old bat who hasn't mattered since the 80s can still drive a wedge between people who are theoretically united in a common love for the beautiful thing that is Brighton & Hove Albion.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
This has become one of the most depressing threads I've ever read. One or two reasoned comments aside, it consists of people incapable of appreciating an alternative position calling one another names. Anyone with sympathy for trades unionism is a guilty of class envy, anyone with the opposite view is ignorant of history. Etc etc.

It's worrying that a demented old bat who hasn't mattered since the 80s can still drive a wedge between people who are theoretically united in a common love for the beautiful thing that is Brighton & Hove Albion.

Classy, would you describe a friend or a family member in that way?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

I agree with your sentiment. Fortunately most rational punters on here are able to separate out a bit of banter on the diverse range of topics on NSC from the far more important stuff relating to our beloved footie.

I put this outbreak of sniping down to the absence of proper footie during the international break, the end of the transfer window frenzy and no updates on the building works at the glorious Amex for us to get excited about. Only 48 hours to go until normal service is resumed.

abc

Jan 6, 2007

Started well, ended badly

Cuffs

Jan 29, 2010
Hate the f***ing woman, and what she did to this country.

What ? Modernise it ? i am sure you would preferred us to remain a manufacturing also ran that found itself unable to compete with the far east. Ie up a creek without a paddle.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Glad she was PM when the Argies invaded The Falklands and for the Iranian Embassy Siege.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
I find it somewhat ironic that those on the left are willing to still blame Thatcher for the ills of today despite Labour having been in power for 13 years ( and Blair serving for long than Thatcher ). Yet when the current Tory government complain that they are trying to sort out Labour's mess Labour deny any responsibility. They can't have it both ways !

As for pissing on anyone's grave or celebrating an elected leaders death, well I'd support [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] banning them for a few weeks.

Actually I blame Thatcher for creating Blair. I blame them both for creating the conditions that have led to the mess were in today, where years of wealth redistribution from rich to poor were crushed and reversed after 1979, and replaced a with greedy me me me society.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Fair enough - I obviously meant to type a left wing PM's name !

we obviously have never had a left wing PM (with the possible exception of Clement Atlee), but just for the sake of argument if we had, I still wouldn't be offended. Its words on fabric. People idolizing Thatcher don't offend me either. Its the ideas that matter not the personalities.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
You're probably right but does anyone seriously think that if the situation were reversed and it had been the south east that was in trouble and the north that was living high on the hog then there would have been hordes of chip on their shoulder northerners demanding action to share the burden ??
I was in the south at the time, but saw the north as I was up there at uni. Now I am back up north and am getting deja vu . House prices have dropped near 20% and jobs? When I am down for matches I ask other fans is there a recession here? House prices high and stable and lots of jobs, so I guess not. It can really change your view if you live outside the south east.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Or were we no longer able to compete with new emerging markets?

We could have competed. There were contracts cancelled by the government that had been ordered. She decimated the industry.

The government also very nearly messed up the deal with the Nissan factory, it was rescused by the local authorities. The Nissan plant is one of the big success stories of the North East.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was in the south at the time, but saw the north as I was up there at uni. Now I am back up north and am getting deja vu . House prices have dropped near 20% and jobs? When I am down for matches I ask other fans is there a recession here? House prices high and stable and lots of jobs, so I guess not. It can really change your view if you live outside the south east.

I'm sorry but this is absolutely not the case.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm sorry but this is absolutely not the case.

Everything is relative. It might be the case, comparatively speaking. But if you are in one of the more deprived bits of Brighton or Hastings or Eastbourne or Portsmouth or Southampton, then it can be a bit grim. In the days when we had English regions, I remember hearing someone senior in SEEDA (South-east England Development Agency) talking about the mainly prosperous region, but with a necklace of poverty around the coast, which would include all the aove-mentioned places, and round to Dover, Folkestone and up to places like Chatham and Ramsgate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here