Tanno, Vicente and CMS due at press conference today

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
For one, the club (management, board, fans etc.) is placing a higher expectation on achievement than this season. That in itself would make things tougher, I'd say.

Absolutely agree that and if the statement was made in that context then this is positive. It's the context that was/is missing for me e.g. tougher because we aren't signing any new players, tougher because we don't expect to do as well so setting an expectation etc ... I know those are extreme examples but you'll get my drift

tbh Rug ..i don't see that as odd...and i am sure tanno knows its always going to b tough ..afteral all he's been in football a fair old while.

Yes I know and I've been an enthusistic observer even longer :smile: You'll know I'm a bit pissed off at the moment (more so than I can remember) the way things ended up, and No I'm not pissed at ending 10th just the manner of our abdication and the fact that our last 11 games was nailed on relegation form. When I first saw that comment it struck me that the seeds of excuses were being sewn already ... but I promise to look at it the way TLO has!!

Roll on the cricket season proper and all the wonderful transfer speculation

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
For one, the club (management, board, fans etc.) is placing a higher expectation on achievement than this season. That in itself would make things tougher, I'd say.

Yeah, that's my thought. Staying up was probably the baseline goal this season, maybe top half of the table. With the way things have gone this season next year the goal will probably be playoffs as a minimum, more pressure on everyone involved.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
well this is what i was thinking....and there seems a fair few people who seem to think we have an enormous pot of gold to be spent this summer....yes we will need to spend if ambitions are to be met..but i can't c Bloom just dishing it out like theres no tomorrow..which means there are expectations to be managed

The flip side to that is as I understand it, all the income projections for the stadium have been smashed this season, and with the expansion likely to happen, that is only set to increase (even with the capital expenditure of the expansion works). I'm not for a second suggesting there will be an unlimited pot, but I imagine there will be enough to tempt some quality players and convince the likes of Vicente that it would be an exciting year ahead.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes I know and I've been an enthusistic observer even longer :smile: You'll know I'm a bit pissed off at the moment (more so than I can remember) the way things ended up, and No I'm not pissed at ending 10th just the manner of our abdication and the fact that our last 11 games was nailed on relegation form. When I first saw that comment it struck me that the seeds of excuses were being sewn already ... but I promise to look at it the way TLO has!!

This season, we have be gloriously and consistently inconsistent.

No defeat for the first eight games, then no wins in nine, then four wins in five, then four straight defeats, then undefeated in 14, now no wins in seven...

Mad, but you know - f*** it...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Absolutely agree that and if the statement was made in that context then this is positive. It's the context that was/is missing for me e.g. tougher because we aren't signing any new players, tougher because we don't expect to do as well so setting an expectation etc ... I know those are extreme examples but you'll get my drift

I guess thats all down to expectation Rug...i felt we just weren't capable of scoring enough goals and boy this is a tough league where anyone is capable of beating each other...ye the last so many games haven't produced results wise..but there have been many positives...Cardiff..came back twice to level...2 down against a in form Watford to draw...Bro ...great game to watch...and Reading well we more than held our own against the top team ..and we could still end higher than 10th..i think for a lot of people next season will be tougher...we've had a taste of what is possible...will we accept more/same/less? As always important we get a good start

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The flip side to that is as I understand it, all the income projections for the stadium have been smashed this season, and with the expansion likely to happen, that is only set to increase (even with the capital expenditure of the expansion works). I'm not for a second suggesting there will be an unlimited pot, but I imagine there will be enough to tempt some quality players and convince the likes of Vicente that it would be an exciting year ahead.

Well i definitely share that hope

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Next year we'll have Charlton, Leeds, Blackburn or QPR, Wolves, possibly even Villa, Sheffield Wednesday, Hull, Leicester, and 3 from the current play-offs. That's 11 teams that will have the same expectation. Mental league.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You'll know I'm a bit pissed off at the moment (more so than I can remember) the way things ended up,

I think this season results have exceeded performances, and some of the other stats (such as second lowest number of shots on target) are perhaps a more revealing performance indicator of our season.

I would be surprised next year if we get away with STEALING as many points as we did this season.

Those who are saying playoffs are a minimum next season are in my opinion delusional. They are ignoring the parachute payments of £18million that are available to the relegated teams, ignoring the fact that have not an established squad of CCC players yet, ignoring that this season we are only 8th in the attendance table of this division, and also ignoring that Tony Bloom has stated he wants to balance the books in terms of financing the club, unlike clubs such as Leicester.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
So what did Vicente say for gawds sake!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know transfer fees are not the only cost, but according to Sky News last night, Reading only spent £1.74M - far less than us.

Brian McDermott has done exceptionally well. He lost his best striker (Shane Long) and his best defender (Matt Mills) in the summer, and recruited very wisely to replace them, with Kaspers Gorkks and Adam Le Fondre.

But ultimately, it was the signing of Roberts in January that got them over the line. Its fairly common knowledge that we tried for Roberts too, but could not compete on wages.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think this season results have exceeded performances, and some of the other stats (such as second lowest number of shots on target) are perhaps a more revealing performance indicator of our season.

I would be surprised next year if we get away with STEALING as many points as we did this season.

Those who are saying playoffs are a minimum next season are in my opinion delusional. They are ignoring the parachute payments of £18million that are available to the relegated teams, ignoring the fact that have not an established squad of CCC players yet, ignoring that this season we are only 8th in the attendance table of this division, and also ignoring that Tony Bloom has stated he wants to balance the books in terms of financing the club, unlike clubs such as Leicester.

Similarly, Gus himself has set the play-offs as the target - if I recall the pre-Watford press conference correctly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports