Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sudan crisis- should western governments pay for aid?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Rougvie said:
I've always thought our overseas aid money should be poured into education, not export credits to boost the sales of British Aerospace and the like.

Ah but then the Govt can screw them with the repayments. Imagine what state this countries economy's would be in is we had not flogged them arms via Export Credits, well a much better state than most countries in the south actually are.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
As the US government seems broadly anti the Government, and pro the rebels I suspect it's Russian ones for the Government and US ones for the rebels (either that or US aid to buy more Russian ones).

Aid should definitely be linked to education and welfare. I propose we reverse the arms trade and buy the weapons off both sides.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dave

All the Arabs want to do is kill Westerners and the evil infidel for believing in a religion other than theirs, ie Islam. They have given nothing absolutely nothing, ever, to aid or make the world a better place. The don't care about the crisis in the Sudan.

The want to destroy and kill and Islamic " sub human " nutters are a cancer on this planet. I would love to push the button that would kill all of them.

However the West and the USA in particular are expected the solve the crisis and give billions in aid.

New York Geezer

Feb 4, 2004
Bermondsey
Gareth

You are sounding like a UKIP party political statement.

Are you serious in saying,

'I would love to push the button that would kill all of them.?'

Any other groups you want to ethnically cleanse the world of whist your at it?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
New York Geezer said:
Gareth

You are sounding like a UKIP party political statement.

Are you serious in saying,

'I would love to push the button that would kill all of them.?'

Any other groups you want to ethnically cleanse the world of whist your at it?

Yeah, bookies.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
It seems to be the reason the US backs the rebels. It's the Government militia that is the current problem, rather than the rebels. OK I know that the problem is more complex than that but that is the superficial view.

The US already has sanctions in place against the Government, which is why it's not bothered about getting more UN backed ones in place. The UN resolution is all about getting a ceasfire set up so peacekeeping can happen.

As usual with the UN there's not much they will do with a civil war. That's not really their job.

Of course the West should be giving masses of aid. Two reasons.

1. It's a humanitarian issue. Reason enough in itself.

2. The ultimate cause of the conflict in Sudan is the creation of that artificial state by the British colonial powers. The place was designed to be ruled by a benevolent European power, not by a neo-colonialist Arab power in either Cairo or Khartoum. In the early twentieth century, Britain gave no consideration whatsoever to the complete lack of cultural unity in the state that we created. Ethnic cleansing has been going on in southern Sudan since the 1960s. It's now spread to western Sudan. We owe a huge debt to the disposessed people of the south and west, which we have never acknowledged.

I have no idea how a political solution to this crisis can be achieved, other than through the United Nations. But even the UN will be severely challenged to bring about the restructuring of the Sudan that is necessary. Tragically, it's only when the bullets fly that the world pays any attention to the place. And that's probably the worst time to achieve an effective solution.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Lord Bracknell said:
Of course the West should be giving masses of aid. Two reasons.

1. It's a humanitarian issue. Reason enough in itself.

2. The ultimate cause of the conflict in Sudan is the creation of that artificial state by the British colonial powers. The place was designed to be ruled by a benevolent European power, not by a neo-colonialist Arab power in either Cairo or Khartoum. In the early twentieth century, Britain gave no consideration whatsoever to the complete lack of cultural unity in the state that we created. Ethnic cleansing has been going on in southern Sudan since the 1960s. It's now spread to western Sudan. We owe a huge debt to the disposessed people of the south and west, which we have never acknowledged.

I have no idea how a political solution to this crisis can be achieved, other than through the United Nations. But even the UN will be severely challenged to bring about the restructuring of the Sudan that is necessary. Tragically, it's only when the bullets fly that the world pays any attention to the place. And that's probably the worst time to achieve an effective solution.

Hear, hear

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would have no problem in wiping out Islam fanatics. Why would you ?.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Gareth dear chap, there are times when I wish you could have met my mother's late partner "King Billy".

He too was a great "freedom fighter" and we all recall the day he set out to liberate Angola with similarly fierce principles. Whether his failure to achieve greatness was down to being armed only with two rounds of cheese & pickle sandwiches and his mate Panzer Haynes from the Polar Bear Milk Bar in Lewes has been a question that has exercised historians for many years....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
Dave

All the Arabs want to do is kill Westerners and the evil infidel for believing in a religion other than theirs, ie Islam. They have given nothing absolutely nothing, ever, to aid or make the world a better place. They don't care about the crisis in the Sudan.

Gareth - you're using irony, right?

Else that's one DODGY set of sentiments :ohmy:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Roz / Tom

I was using my alter ego Gareth " Kilroy Silk " Glover. He is a beast which I try and tame and keep hidden. The " Kilroy silk " voices sometime overcome me and I find myself making wild and controversial statements.

I am aware of the " Kilroy silk " within and rest assured I am doing all I can to tame the " Kilroy Silk " beast.

I am about to undergo a councilling course and hypnotherapy to attempt to destroy the " Kilroy Silk " within.

I trust you will bear with me.

I will keep you updated as to my condition.

Regards.

Gareth

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
tommy boy 86 said:
if sudan had oil the US would be straight in there,
they don't, so they're left to suffer

top liberating:glare:

Aint that just the truth

Wheres big boy Bush now then

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am amazed at some of the comments on here especially the one...."we need to educate them"

For God sake...wake up. The West is hated by Africa - or more accurately the White man as they are accused of raping the continent in an effort of global imperialism by European countries ( Spain, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, France and Britain). Can you really see the people of the Sudan accepting the Americans ( the symbol of all that is hated in the West) coming in to assist the country.

Isn't that what we tried to do in Iraq and look where that has got us.

This is an ARAB problem. It is ARABS ethnically cleansing, not someone from Buckinghamshire! Whilst Gareth has outragously suggested that the cause of the world's ills is predominantly Islam, there is some grain of truth in it.

Remember, when you get on a train, an aeroplane, go to work travel on the tube, on a bus, there are Islamics extremists plotting to kill you...right now...in their homes. They dont care if you are white/black/yellow, you are male, female a child or a new born baby....they want you DEAD. Does anyone seriously believe the people who let off bombs in Madrid gave a flying f*** about who they were killing? Or bali, or New York...no.

So whilst I think that we should continue to give aid to countries who have starving populations or who face horrendous natural disasters, I also thing the the Arabs get off their fat capitalist arses and start contributing to the world society and help their neighbours.

Having said all that, the most worrying statement made reently was by Sharon who suggested that the Jewish population in France should all emigrate to Israel as they would be safer there that the facist country that France seems to be heading towards. Anti Semitism is nothing to be proud about

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dave

I agree 100%.

You are the voice of reason, I am the voice of hot headedness. Now what about that beer in Son Bou ?.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here