Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sudan crisis- should western governments pay for aid?

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
The crisis in the sudan is beyond what most of us could comprehend,
massive ethnic clensing, women and childer dying of stavation and illness.
should western governments pay for all of the aid?
I think they should ,
for the first time in my life I have given a donation but think why cant rich western governments pay for all the aid?

by the way if you wan to donate the website is

www.christianaid.org.uk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Lets get food and shelter to these innocent people first, then we can play the blame game.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, yes they f***ing should.

I donated to this through Oxfam on top of my monthly donation.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
El Presidente said:
Lets get food and shelter to these innocent people first, then we can play the blame game.

Total agreement El Pres.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
so do you think the pubilc should pay and then we should all get a refund from the government later?

wheather its right or wrong as ive stated yes we should make donation now as the government are in no urgency to do so.

just wanted peoples opions on if this is right?

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Its quite an interesting point this.

Arab Africans have basically Ethnically Cleansed their land of Black Afican's by killing people and burning villages and crops.

We, in the west, hated by the Arab World are asked to help, when this is nothing whatsoever to do with us.

Why does not the Arab World put their hand in their very deep pockets and donate their untold Billions ( all western money for their oil) to pay for the aid?

Before anyone gives it the "holier than thou" bollocks I have donated money to the appeal, not in any way to appease my capitalist western conscience, but to hopefully help!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not sure the UKIP knows there is an "overseas" let alone "aid"

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
New York Geezer said:
What is the UKIP position on overseas aid?

I think their plan is to reinvade India, "Rhodesia" and Jamaica and force them all to build railways otherwise they get flogged.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
seems fair enough to me MOH.

At least in the days of empire the trains ran on time, and no-one was poor well no-one of any significance - c/o Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Doughlas Adams

:lolol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I wonder if the people who were whining about the UK being a shit place to live still feel that after watching the harrowing pictures from Sudan.

I believe the Western governments are sending aid but that's not to stop individuals helping out. It's our duty as human beings.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The real thing they need form the west is intervention. We should send in the Para's to head up an Arab based UN force.

Aid only alliveate the suffering temporarily, for a longer term solution we have to stop the Sudanese government from carrying out their ethnic cleansing.

wont happen of course, no 'strategic interest'.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
beorhthelm said:
The real thing they need form the west is intervention. We should send in the Para's to head up an Arab based UN force.

Aid only alliveate the suffering temporarily, for a longer term solution we have to stop the Sudanese government from carrying out their ethnic cleansing.

wont happen of course, no 'strategic interest'.

Problem of sending our troops in is the fact that we are bit short staffed due to the 2 wars we are currently involved in and at least one of these is illegal.

Out of interest who sold this lot arms?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Mr Popkins said:

should western governments pay for all of the aid?

So as I read it the key part of your question is "Western" and "all"?

This rich Government has given £35m for the Darfur crisis so far, which is a good start. Individuals should be free to choose whether they contribute as well as the Governments. And other Governments should be able to contribute as well.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I see the Arabs have put loads in

:nono:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that we have a pretty good track record as regards giving aid and providing peacekeeping troops.

I believe that in issues like this we need to have a U.N. with teeth, i.e. an organisation with aid, logistics, personnel and armed, peacekeeping forces.

Britain cannot make much of a difference on its own, it's time to beef up the UN so we act as part of a more effective team.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Out of interest who sold this lot arms? [/B]

Mostly the Russians I think, who are always the quietest when the whole thing goes tits up, although you can be sure that US/UK hardware has just managed to 'turn up' there somehow.

We had a UN Contract down there for 2 years and the place makes Mogadishu seem like Hove, remember being driven to the back of beyond where our aircraft was being maintained by a 14/15 yr old kid with a gun tucked into the belt of his shorts, its a scary scary place.

I've always thought our overseas aid money should be poured into education, not export credits to boost the sales of British Aerospace and the like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here