Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale or Walton

Feb 14, 2010
e. I really don't see what you have to moan about in this situation except you always like to moan.[/QUOTE]

You slag off our support with "I know better than all of them". This club fought to be here and your attitude towards these guys is wrong. You have your view but so do the 25000 to 30odd thousand others who paid to watch last season, as do I a long term fan who goes every now and again.the people who watch the albion are no different to any othe club with one exception, they trn p in greate nmbes than almost evey other club in the football leae for failing lower leae football. As for Stockdale over Walton, Walton has looked good Stockdale accident prone, so Brihton keep Stockale and loan out Walton because he is young. It as all the allmarks of another classic Brighton coacing disaster to add to the long list of historic and recent one's.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You have a superiority complex over your fellow fans. Im proud of our support now as I was in the Archer years.People saw the mistakes of Stockdale and the disaster of last summer in all depertments. Like fans up and down the country them commented on it. The problem is the coaching footballing failures at the club and losing Walton for Stockdale has all the hallmarks of yet another one. CMS for Murray, Penney over Ian Wright, the lads at Bournemouth, its not new, this club has a great history of failure. Stockdale and lose Walton? We just fear yet another Albion coaching disaster.

Your post sounds like you are speaking for all people and all fans. You don't.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If playing Walton at Middlesbro was an indication of CH thinking what about playing Bennett and Halford and bringing CMS on as a sub where they also indications of the future.

If the article in The Argus is accurate it suggests Hughton is thinking of sending Walton out on loan next season to gain further proper match time experience. I think Hughton is looking to sign another goalkeeper either to take over from Stockdale or provide serious competition for the jersey because Walton in his opinion isn't quite there yet.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I know CH and the other coaching staff very well and you hear one or two things in passing You never know for sure what is really being considered without asking outright. Then when you see Walton getting played in last game of the season, it reconfirms some of the things heard previously. That's why I said playing Walton made me think he is looking at other options to Stockdale

I wonder if that other option if true will be number 1 or 2 choice and with the Argus quoting Boss Chris Hughton is coy about Albion’s interest in Finnish international Niki Mäenpää.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As for Stockdale over Walton, Walton has looked good Stockdale accident prone, so Brihton keep Stockale and loan out Walton because he is young. It as all the allmarks of another classic Brighton coaching disaster to add to the long list of historic and recent one's.

Walton only played 2 first team games last season (against Spurs, and Boro) and some Eng matches. Interested to know on what basis you rate him ? Have you seen him in training or in u21s matches ? I agree he looks good but 180 minutes in the Capital One Cup and a meaningless end of season game is not much to judge him on compared to Stockdale. He's also still only 19.

He's on a long contract so the club have protected their investment, and sending him out on loan (if thats the plan) is standard practice for young keepers in the Prem/Champ to improve their development (and value). Why do you disagree ?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
e. I really don't see what you have to moan about in this situation except you always like to moan.

You slag off our support with "I know better than all of them". This club fought to be here and your attitude towards these guys is wrong. You have your view but so do the 25000 to 30odd thousand others who paid to watch last season, as do I a long term fan who goes every now and again.the people who watch the albion are no different to any othe club with one exception, they trn p in greate nmbes than almost evey other club in the football leae for failing lower leae football. As for Stockdale over Walton, Walton has looked good Stockdale accident prone, so Brihton keep Stockale and loan out Walton because he is young. It as all the allmarks of another classic Brighton coacing disaster to add to the long list of historic and recent one's.[/QUOTE]

I give up arguing with you. You go every now and then. I have a season ticket and go to most away games so would imagine I'm in a better position to judge.

Walton has played three games. That is not enough to judge him. Yet you think you know better than the current coaching staff, none of who were there during these long list of historic disasters.

I actually don't slag off our support. I slag off people who moan constantly. There are a lot of very valid criticisms of the club this season without going on a bizarre rant about coaching disasters. We'll see what happens next season but I genuinely believe Walton would benefit from a six month/year long loan and I'm willing to trust Hughton rather than spending another pre season moaning. Why not wait and see what happens?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I know CH and the other coaching staff very well and you hear one or two things in passing You never know for sure what is really being considered without asking outright. Then when you see Walton getting played in last game of the season, it reconfirms some of the things heard previously. That's why I said playing Walton made me think he is looking at other options to Stockdale

Interesting. I thought that keeper was one of the positions where there'd be no change in the summer but with Walton being loaned out, it looks like I'm wrong. Will be interesting to see who we get and whether they are first choice or backup.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I wonder if that other option if true will be number 1 or 2 choice and with the Argus quoting Boss Chris Hughton is coy about Albion’s interest in Finnish international Niki Mäenpää.

I havnt heard anything about the Finnish International guy, so don't know if that's true but one thing is for sure. When CH is asked a question about anything by the Press, he is an expert and dancing around it to avoid answering it ; however, one thing he will never ever do, is outright lie about something

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The we was reference to those who are expressing concern over the Walton decision

So how many is that? Ten, twenty, a hundred? The vast majority of people in this thread think the loaning out of a teenage keeper is standard practise, good for him and the sign of a manager who knows what he's doing.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
So how many is that? Ten, twenty, a hundred? The vast majority of people in this thread think the loaning out of a teenage keeper is standard practise, good for him and the sign of a manager who knows what he's doing.

I think it is a sign of a Manager who knows what he is doing. When you realise a keeper is ready for the first team, you always know that there will be a few jitters and a few goals given away in errors. It's best that these errors take place at another club then bring him back when confidence has been built up. Courtois being the perfect example.

CH did the same with Jack Butland at Birmingham to see if he was ready but I think Butland had some nightmare matches when he first went out on loan if I remember correctly.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I know people like him, but too many mistakes for me, so I would be happy if we sold Stockdale. As to whether Walton is ready, I have no idea.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If the article in The Argus is accurate it suggests Hughton is thinking of sending Walton out on loan next season to gain further proper match time experience. I think Hughton is looking to sign another goalkeeper either to take over from Stockdale or provide serious competition for the jersey because Walton in his opinion isn't quite there yet.

If that is so I would think it would be an older experienced keeper in the Brad Friedel mould but probably not him as he is too old. and then have CA as a No 3 back up if needed as per now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Walton only played 2 first team games last season (against Spurs, and Boro) and some Eng matches. Interested to know on what basis you rate him ? Have you seen him in training or in u21s matches ? I agree he looks good but 180 minutes in the Capital One Cup and a meaningless end of season game is not much to judge him on

He also played v Wigan and Blackburn

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Walton is largely untested. It will be great for him and us, for a 'decent' club to take him on loan. Walton will be making progress and we will have more of a chance to see his quality.

Seagull97

Jan 13, 2014
I agree that a loan can only be beneficial, as he needs the time at number 1.

theboybilly

You sure!? :lol:
I haven't been impressed with him but you can't knock his distribution - strongest part of his game.

I don't think there has been a side in the division this season that has utilised the backpass to the 'keeper so much as the Albion. Stockdale is always available but sometimes he is put under pressure by a sloppy pass. I think he has done rather well in this respect. I did question some of his long punts to CMS but that is more down to the fact that it normally means a loss of possession.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Surprised some see Walton going out on loan as bad thing. Season in league 1 before he comes back to take his (likely) place as No 1. The only question for me would be - does he go to a team likely to be wrong end of the league where he will get lots of shots at him or does he go to one likely to be at the top end where he will be behind a good defence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here