Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale or Walton

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
We won't be getting a loan player, but another keeper whilst Walton is getting experience. Casper will hopefully sign for another 12 months as 3rd choice to give us cover.

Ok so if Walton needs more experience how long for a season ? if so is it really worth signing another keeper for a season unless stockdale is on his way out. Agree with Casper if he signs.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Walton should be given the chance to push for the number one spot for us. whats the point in youth coming through if we just going to loan them out. I want a player who wants to prove he wants to play for us not a loan player who wants a quick fix.

He'll have a much better chance of proving his ability to be our first choice keeper if he goes on loan to a lower league team and plays regularly. Playing in the Development Squad won't give him the same opportunity.

That has been proved over the years by numerous top players being loaned out for a season before returning to their parent club and being stars in the first team.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Walton should be given the chance to push for the number one spot for us. whats the point in youth coming through if we just going to loan them out. I want a player who wants to prove he wants to play for us not a loan player who wants a quick fix.

Agreed - I'm disappointed with this decision. The best way to nurture him is to give him playing time with us. In any case, in goalkeeping terms I don't think there is a huge gulf in class between the Championship and League 1. If he's good enough to play regularly for a League 1 club on loan, he should be good enough to challenge Stockdale. My guess is that if he has an outstanding season on loan, he will be heading elsewhere rather than back to us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He'll have a much better chance of proving his ability to be our first choice keeper if he goes on loan to a lower league team and plays regularly. Playing in the Development Squad won't give him the same opportunity.

That has been proved over the years by numerous top players being loaned out for a season before returning to their parent club and being stars in the first team.

You put it in a better way than I could.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

Playing Walton in league one will give him more experience for the championship ok.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed - I'm disappointed with this decision. The best way to nurture him is to give him playing time with us. In any case, in goalkeeping terms I don't think there is a huge gulf in class between the Championship and League 1. If he's good enough to play regularly for a League 1 club on loan, he should be good enough to challenge Stockdale. My guess is that if he has an outstanding season on loan, he will be heading elsewhere rather than back to us.

There is a gulf in class between the Championship and League 1. You've only got to look at the goals scored by Baldock & CMS in both divisions for examples.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Too early for Walton, he needs more game time and then hopefully become our long term No.1 as he certainly shows plenty of promise.
I'd be happy to see Stockdale moved on though as he hasn't impressed me at all, but I think he's here to stay unfortunately.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
There is a gulf in class between the Championship and League 1. You've only got to look at the goals scored by Baldock & CMS in both divisions for examples.

Agree
How many teams been promoted from league one look for more experienced keeper in the championship including us when we were promoted.

theboybilly

Stockdale is our No.1 'keeper and will be for a few years yet. And rightly so. I can't quite believe this is up for discussion. In the 38 games I saw this season I cannot think of one occasion where I thought his inclusion on the teamsheet made me feel uneasy. Stockdale is a marvellous goalie and we are lucky to have him here.
Walton is one for the future, I trust the club to nurture his progress

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I certainly like the idea of a keeper coming in as competition for Stockers. For all the skill he has with the ball at his feet, he's not impressed with the speed of his reactions or the spring in his step. Maybe a begloved chap alongside him battling out for the position will up his game and have him as the less heavy keeper we expected.
One would hope the plan is for Walton to have just the one season away from us and then be in competition himself. How the negotiations go with a possible signing with the idea that we want Walton back and competing for the top spot in a year might be tricky. If Walton matures as we hope he will, then he'll become a very valuable asset both in goal for a while and then when his capabilities lead him elsewhere.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Stockdale is our No.1 'keeper and will be for a few years yet. And rightly so. I can't quite believe this is up for discussion. In the 38 games I saw this season I cannot think of one occasion where I thought his inclusion on the teamsheet made me feel uneasy. Stockdale is a marvellous goalie and we are lucky to have him here.
Walton is one for the future, I trust the club to nurture his progress

Stockdale distribution is awful and funny his distribution was meant to be so much better than Kuszczak and one of the main reasons why we signed him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stockdale distribution is awful and funny his distribution was meant to be so much better than Kuszczak and one of the main reasons why we signed him.

I think maybe a visit to Specsavers is in order. His distribution is the best I have seen for a long long time.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You sure!? :lol:
I haven't been impressed with him but you can't knock his distribution - strongest part of his game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here