Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale or Walton

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I don't think we actually know whether Walton is better or not but the last game of the season gave you an indication that he is looking for an alternative to Stockdale

No, it doesn't. It shows he wanted to give a game to a young goalkeeper who had only played two first team games before.

What Finchley said.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Neither §Walton out on loan as needs more experience, Stockdale not good enough.
I agree with Houghton on this we need another keeper, but def NOT Stockdale as NO 1

Feb 14, 2010
On what do the people form a view that Walton isnt ready? He got into the side before xmas, didnt put a foot wrong and so of course according to the logic of bha, we dropped him to play an accident prone Stockdale instead. The logic seems to be that he is young, and well he is nearly 20, not that young. We shouldnt have dropped him after the spurs game and should have made Stockdale wait to see if there was a reason to replace Walton. He earned the right to keep playing, but we dropped him and now send him on loan "to get experience". Its starting to look like yet another albion footbaling people disaster. Lets hope not but having watched this club over the years then I wouldnt be at all surprised if we got this wrong.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
No, it doesn't. It shows he wanted to give a game to a young goalkeeper who had only played two first team games before.

I agree that he wanted to give Walton experience, but I think Hughton is very much looking for an alternative for Stockdale judging by his comments in the Argus. Doubt he would make those comments if he was happy with Stockdale's performances.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On what do the people form a view that Walton isnt ready? He got into the side before xmas, didnt put a foot wrong and so of course according to the logic of bha, we dropped him to play an accident prone Stockdale instead. The logic seems to be that he is young, and well he is nearly 20, not that young. We shouldnt have dropped him after the spurs game and should have made Stockdale wait to see if there was a reason to replace Walton. He earned the right to keep playing, but we dropped him and now send him on loan "to get experience". Its starting to look like yet another albion footbaling people disaster. Lets hope not but having watched this club over the years then I wouldnt be at all surprised if we got this wrong.

This 'accident prone' keeper that you keep denigrating had the 8th best number of goals conceded in the Championship. By your measure, there were 16 worse keepers than him this season.

Feb 14, 2010
This 'accident prone' keeper that you keep denigrating had the 8th best number of goals conceded in the Championship. By your measure, there were 16 worse keepers than him this season.

Its you not me who puts clean sheets down to one player. What did Walton do wrong? We saw the errors of our regular keeper and so why did we drop Walton for doing nothing wrong? Foot shoot the in again, rearrange, its the story of ourclub

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its you not me who puts clean sheets down to one player. What did Walton do wrong? We saw the errors of our regular keeper and so why did we drop Walton for doing nothing wrong? Foot shoot the in again, rearrange, its the story of ourclub

Keep taking the tablets.

Feb 14, 2010
Keep taking the tablets.

Nice logical point, why was Walton dropped to replace him with an accident prone keeper? Because he was young. With logic like that then no wonder someone else at the club thought we should let cook and elphick go and as for cms over murray then blimey, useless footballing knowledge is not the half of it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Nice logical point, why was Walton dropped to replace him with an accident prone keeper? Because he was young. With logic like that then no wonder someone else at the club thought we should let cook and elphick go and as for cms over murray then blimey, useless footballing knowledge is not the half of it.

So at the time we 'let' Cook and Elphick go did you say it was the wrong move? Or do you only deal in hindsight

Feb 14, 2010
So at the time we 'let' Cook and Elphick go did you say it was the wrong move? Or do you only deal in hindsight

I didnt see them much and so had no view other than to think they were young and we will see. But what you or I think isnt the point, we didnt get paid to make the decision. Who else did we let go who was not good enough, murray and a couple more who are better than we have. Now this decision of Stocdale over Walton. The albion love to shootitself in the foot

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I didnt see them much and so had no view other than to think they were young and we will see. But what you or I think isnt the point, we didnt get paid to make the decision. Who else did we let go who was not good enough, murray and a couple more who are better than we have. Now this decision of Stocdale over Walton. The albion love to shootitself in the foot

With regard to Cook and Elphick, at the time we let them go we had better and so a move was for the good of their careers, it was the right call. Murray was a cock up as I'm sure any one at the club would agree. The others moved upwards (I guess you are talking about Buckley, Bridcutt, Barnes (not sure what went on behind the scenes, but not everyone at the club was happy) and Ulloa) at their own request. What would you have liked the club to in those situations.
Every club has let players go and they have turned into better players than could have been foreseen. Wonder if Plymouth fans are still up in arms about letting Barnes going for cheap?

Feb 14, 2010
With regard to Cook and Elphick, at the time we let them go we had better and so a move was for the good of their careers, it was the right call. Murray was a cock up as I'm sure any one at the club would agree. The others moved upwards (I guess you are talking about Buckley, Bridcutt, Barnes (not sure what went on behind the scenes, but not everyone at the club was happy) and Ulloa) at their own request. What would you have liked the club to in those situations.
Every club has let players go and they have turned into better players than could have been foreseen. Wonder if Plymouth fans are still up in arms about letting Barnes going for cheap?

If we had better then cook and elphick could have gone on loan to be ready when we needed them, but no the coaches sold them as they clearly didnt rate them. Murray, well if I could see cms was not half the footballer after seeing him twice then how did they get that so wrong. I think there is another lad at burnley other than barnes. I have no issue with the lads who went to sunderland, as you say, was always going to happen. This season we had a young keeper who got into the side and we dropped him for no reason. Stockdale didnt have to earn the shirt. It was a poor decision, Walton earned that place in the side and did nothing wrong. Its not how sport should work. He had the right to carry on not be dropped for no reason and now shuffled out on loan.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
All football fans love to see great young home grown players break into the team...............ME TOO

However, I am also aware that a team full of young lads would be great to see next season but we want a team who will challenge for the play offs. It is possible to have both if a club has had a great scouting system in place for perhaps 10 years or more but we have not.

I think we have to have faith in what the manager decides to do in the close season because we don't see the lads on the training ground. I think what he will do is bring in fairly young players but players who have also had some championship experience.

I don't think he will fill the team with older players but go for a fairly young age group so that we have a some players with a reasonable sell on potential if they do well and tie them to long enough contracts just in case they do really well and we need to keep them.

next year will be difficult. You only need to look at the play offs this year, plus the teams just missing out on the play offs, plus the teams likely to drop out of the premiership. However, I also think we can put together a squad who can compete well in this division , with a mixture of good signings and some decent young exciting loanees from the premiership teams.

If we use the loan system well then we will do well and couple that with a few good permanent signings then I think we can compete in the top 8 or 10 with a goal of hitting the play offs

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Stockdale with Walton out on loan for a year. Walton will go on to be a far, far better keeper than Stockdale from what we've seen so far though.

The boy looks genuinely special. He HOLDS things that I've seen top, top goalkeepers PARRY.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Talking of parrying I am a great fan of Kuszczak but dic you see his error for Wolves on Saturday it was in the Stockdale class straight to an oncoming player. Terrible mistake, so it obviously happens to many not just DS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here