Stiliyan Petrov - and what I'm going to do about it

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hi Jim, just read the article about your little lad in today's Argus (p17). What a little gem he is, I've got everything crossed for you all that it goes well.

Not much help I know, but reading that has prompted me to pull my finger out and register online with the Anthony Nolan Trust as a potential donor. Been meaning to do it for years but never got round to it, so hopefully it'll have the same impact on a few other Argus readers.

Good luck for May 7th, William :thumbsup:

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Hi Jim, just read the article about your little lad in today's Argus (p17). What a little gem he is, I've got everything crossed for you all that it goes well.

Not much help I know, but reading that has prompted me to pull my finger out and register online with the Anthony Nolan Trust as a potential donor. Been meaning to do it for years but never got round to it, so hopefully it'll have the same impact on a few other Argus readers.

Good luck for May 7th, William :thumbsup:

That's brilliant news and has made my day thus far :)

I did ask the reporter that it was important to me to promote both blood donoring and bone marrow donoring as they are life savers.

I actually didn't go through anthony nolan (though I think they keep the national register, and certainly have sorted out Willam's donor). But I found it really easy to get on the bone marrow donor register by just filing in a form when I gave blood one time. All they do is take a little bit extra. So you don't actually have to go through and get a special appointment with A.N.

So if you're a blood donor, just ask them next time you go i.e. when you sign in.

Can arrange a blood donor appointment on http://www.blood.co.uk

Great news you're going for it though :)

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Just an update on the boy.
He's currently on day 5 out of 10 of his Conditioning Chemo. He'll get his new stem cell (bone marrow) next Thursday. He did react to one of the drugs (CAmpath). but seemed fine on te second dose.

So all going ok at the moment.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
No offence - but why has Petrov 'brought home' your personal situation?
I would have thought that was already very much brought home.

You are unbelievable mush !!!! Someones serious illness is discussed and all you can think about is correcting his personal feelings !!!

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
THanks BHA Benny. :) Currently on day 7 out his 10 day conditioning chemo. On Thursday his new cells will go into him and he will have his 2nd birthday (like the queen).

A big thanks to the Anthony Nolan Trust who have given him this chance of life + of course the donor who we have no idea who they are. I wish I could actually shake their hand and show them what hope they are giving to people like me. I suppose in years to come we maybe able to have their contact details.

I saw a bone marrow donation last week and it was amazing to see the cells going into a little 3 year old. I'm going to get some picks hopefully of William's new cells and put them on my twitter feed. Also will be amazing to show him if he makes a teenager.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
If you've ever wondered what a bone marrow transplant looks like, here you go:
AtFvTZiCEAAO-OA.jpg

Hope the pick came out ok.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
If you've ever wondered what a bone marrow transplant looks like, here you go:
AtFvTZiCEAAO-OA.jpg

Hope the pick came out ok.

Hey Big Jim, good to see things are going to plan. I am keeping an eye on progress so keep the updates coming, fingers crossed.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Thanks chaps. Couldn't log in for a few days for one reason and another (due to me, not the forum).

But we're currently on day 6, and though he's had a few temperatures, being sick, coughing, etc. He's doing better than we'd hoped. touch wood it continues.

The little boy next door had his counts start to rise on day 10. So really anything from Sunday onwards we'll be watching his blood counts.

When I say blood counts, I mean the new Stem Cells (in the syringe above) graft in his bone marrow and start to produce White blood cells (to give him the ability to fight infections/ virus's/ tumours), Platelets (to give him the ability to stop bleeding), red blood (to pass oxygen to each organ/ part of his body).

He had platelet transfusion 2 days ago, and red blood yesterday. Certainly the red blood is like giving him life, you literally see life and energy come back to them.

Now have raised £5K for Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research (excluding gift aid). My company have sort of matched this total with £1.2K for Action for Children. Check out http://www.justgiving.com/williamlyne

So thanks again for all of you that have made a donation. I personally feel that 5K is a really good figure and will hopefully make a difference for people in the future.

:)

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks chaps. Couldn't log in for a few days for one reason and another (due to me, not the forum).

But we're currently on day 6, and though he's had a few temperatures, being sick, coughing, etc. He's doing better than we'd hoped. touch wood it continues.

The little boy next door had his counts start to rise on day 10. So really anything from Sunday onwards we'll be watching his blood counts.

When I say blood counts, I mean the new Stem Cells (in the syringe above) graft in his bone marrow and start to produce White blood cells (to give him the ability to fight infections/ virus's/ tumours), Platelets (to give him the ability to stop bleeding), red blood (to pass oxygen to each organ/ part of his body).

He had platelet transfusion 2 days ago, and red blood yesterday. Certainly the red blood is like giving him life, you literally see life and energy come back to them.

Now have raised £5K for Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research (excluding gift aid). My company have sort of matched this total with £1.2K for Action for Children. Check out http://www.justgiving.com/williamlyne

So thanks again for all of you that have made a donation. I personally feel that 5K is a really good figure and will hopefully make a difference for people in the future.

:)

Thanks for the update Jim.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Coincidentally, I got my letter through from the Anthony Nolan people today saying I've been accepted and I'm now on the list of donors.

Anyone who's thought about being a bone marrow donor but been put off by the thought of blood tests...don't be. I filled in a form online, then they sent me a saliva testing kit in the post. All you have to do is spit in the tube, seal it and send it off, and Bob's yer uncle. Easy. No blood stuff at all.

Do it, folks :thumbsup:

Got everything crossed for the wee man, Jim :wave:

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Coincidentally, I got my letter through from the Anthony Nolan people today saying I've been accepted and I'm now on the list of donors.

Anyone who's thought about being a bone marrow donor but been put off by the thought of blood tests...don't be. I filled in a form online, then they sent me a saliva testing kit in the post. All you have to do is spit in the tube, seal it and send it off, and Bob's yer uncle. Easy. No blood stuff at all.

Do it, folks :thumbsup:

Got everything crossed for the wee man, Jim :wave:

That's really good news. I didn;t know you could do it from saliva. I did it whilst giving blood, just filled in the form and they took a little extra blood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports