Points per game id bet emery way ahead

Emery at Villa 1.84
1696107873191.png

De Zerbi with us 1.69
1696107912697.png

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Anyone thinking RDZ needs to go needs to remember how many goals we used to score at home under GP and how many we now score with RDZ, just no comparison - Steele is vital to our squad - Webster becoming less so

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Webster in the line-up and we lost? I'm not surprised :shrug:

He should be playing in the Championship, whilst Van Hecke should be starting for the Albion, would like to see him sold and replaced soon (y)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Steele looks like exactly what he is - a Championship/League 1 goalkeeper who has Premier League talent with his feet. He won't make any saves you wouldn't expect and goals conceded won't be his fault but he won't be a factor in preventing them. Very similar to John Sullivan who was rarely at fault for the goals conceded but they were always 4 of them. That nonsense finished when King Michel was fit again to resume keeping goal. Steele isn't even close to being a top level goalkeeper so either we protect him at all costs or realise the truth and get him out of the team.

Much like Arteta has done at Arsenal with another goalkeeper who is sub-standard. The media can talk all it wants but who plays? Raya. Verbruggen should be our number 1 every game now.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yes steele has to go now unfortunately. Just concedes too many. Verbruggen has the whole package we should be backing him as number one.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
List me the swathe of goals that Steele has been directly at fault for to quality such a statement?

Bloody hell, is just 'not being directly at fault for goals' your main requirement for our Premier League keeper?

Watching the highlights on MOTD got me raging a little bit. It's like he's just incapable of making difficult saves. But then, I already knew that, just seeing six of them in five minutes was particularly hard to watch.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
List me the swathe of goals that Steele has been directly at fault for to quality such a statement?
Aek last goal for sure .... really slow to come out. Man u away.

Yesterday 2nd beaten at his near post with a shot that dribbled in. 4th bigger more alert goalie saves. 5th again bigger more alert goalie saves.

Anyone suggesting that somehow Steele was pivotal in our defeat today is clearly hurting( like us all) but knows nothing about football!

A bad day at the office from everyone including the manager
I know NSC is great at overreaction but I guess it’s been a while since we had one of these, it’s still funny to watch. The amount of self destructive errors yesterday makes the game impossible to draw huge lessons from.

I think the match will have zero long term consequences for any of our players. Possible exception is Webster who is struggling to cope with quick offensive players in the manner of Duffy in his final days. But even he had a reasonable game last week so to even say he’s finished is a wee bit premature.

The game will no doubt give plenty to RDZ to analyse in his rotation. Sometimes I think his combinations lack the gelled nature of practiced teamwork but it’s a long season - they’ll get practice!

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
I think Steele is a luxury player at this point. As people say he's very good with the ball at his feet, maybe even world class. However, there's a reason he's spent so much time in the lower divisions and it's because he is a lower division goalkeeper in every other aspect of his game.

Last season, when we were mostly dominanting opposition teams, he was the correct option. Newcastle away and Everton at home were tasters for this season though. He lets in every decent shot and is weak on set peices. We're not good enough now to get away with it. Time for Bart to be consistent number 1 imo.

Aek last goal for sure .... really slow to come out. Man u away.

Yesterday 2nd beaten at his near post with a shot that dribbled in. 4th bigger more alert goalie saves. 5th again bigger more alert goalie saves.
I mean genuinely speculative stuff you can get away with when everybody is having a funny turn

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Bloody hell, is just 'not being directly at fault for goals' your main requirement for our Premier League keeper?

Watching the highlights on MOTD got me raging a little bit. It's like he's just incapable of making difficult saves. But then, I already knew that, just seeing six of them in five minutes was particularly hard to watch.

What a bizarre thing to get so worked up about.

Yes, Steele is not an amazing shot stopper (and even a top class shot stopper wouldn't have had much hope yesterday).

But he saves the ones he should and is so important to how we play out from the back.

Out of interest, which other Prem keepers would you rank ahead of Steele? (Not specifically for shot stopping but shot stopping + playing out from the back)

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
What about Dunk? He was awful today, Or estupinian, who was awful today. Or veltman.....
I agree what a silly thread. I assume this came from the thread starters knee jerking a lot? Can I suggest he put a bag of frozen Birdseye peas upon that knee, but swiftly making sure he moves it to his head afterwards.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I have finally got round to watching the goals from Saturday again.

My OP was actually a broader post that for too long I don’t think Steele and Webster are what we need defensively but now I’ve seen the goals in the cold light of day I stand by it even more.

1st goal Webster let’s Watkins get in front of him, you can’t do that at this level.
2nd goal, Steele is too slow to get down to his right, maybe there’s mitigation with the player in front but still looked soft
3rd goal, didn’t realise at the time but Steele palms a week shot that was straight at him straight back into the danger zone which leads to the goal. Very poor keeping.
4th goal - maybe harsh on Webster but he’s out of position when the ball is floated over his head, he’s slow to react and then lunges in causing the deflection.
5. 5th goal - Steele seems to misjudge it. He doesn’t full extend his arm to tip it away assuming it’s going wide. A clear error of judgement
6th goal - Webster loses his man then puts in a weak attempt to tackle. He then sits on his arse rather than attempt to be ready for the ball coming back out.

So, for those who claimed it was harsh on these to players, go watch the game again without the heightened emotions.

For those who don’t like this thread but feel need to say so… not sure you have grasped what a football forum is for.

Conveniently ignoring Verbruggen's clanger vs Bournemouth?
All of this is very sentiment driven. What even happened a few games ago doesn't matter. People are just adjusting the evidence to whatever they want to see

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have finally got round to watching the goals from Saturday again.

My OP was actually a broader post that for too long I don’t think Steele and Webster are what we need defensively but now I’ve seen the goals in the cold light of day I stand by it even more.

1st goal Webster let’s Watkins get in front of him, you can’t do that at this level.
2nd goal, Steele is too slow to get down to his right, maybe there’s mitigation with the player in front but still looked soft
3rd goal, didn’t realise at the time but Steele palms a week shot that was straight at him straight back into the danger zone which leads to the goal. Very poor keeping.
4th goal - maybe harsh on Webster but he’s out of position when the ball is floated over his head, he’s slow to react and then lunges in causing the deflection.
5. 5th goal - Steele seems to misjudge it. He doesn’t full extend his arm to tip it away assuming it’s going wide. A clear error of judgement
6th goal - Webster loses his man then puts in a weak attempt to tackle. He then sits on his arse rather than attempt to be ready for the ball coming back out.

So, for those who claimed it was harsh on these to players, go watch the game again without the heightened emotions.

For those who don’t like this thread but feel need to say so… not sure you have grasped what a football forum is for.
Erm to give an opinion? you gave yours they gave theirs, not sure what are you complaining about

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Erm to give an opinion? you gave yours they gave theirs, not sure what are you complaining about
Just irritates me, if they disagree with my opinion then fair enough let’s debate. But the people who feel the need to say this thread shouldn’t exist without any reasons as to why contribute nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here