Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steele and Webster

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Singling out Steele when he was behind that utter car crash of a midfield and defence shows that some people have zero understanding of football. Pervis looked like he won a competition to play in a prem football match, the centre backs left Watkins constantly unmarked, and the central and wide midfield was non existent and incapable of winning a tackle or making basic passes. But let’s blame the keeper. Lol.
I don't think anyone is blaming the keeper. The point appears to be that top quality keepers will pull the team out of the shit when the defence is having a shocker. Steele isn't going to do this.

Nor is Webster.

Caicedo could do this. . . Because he is/was top quality.

To keep improving we need to uplevel some of our players. GK and Centre back are the first two positions I would focus on.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
All of this is very sentiment driven. What even happened a few games ago doesn't matter. People are just adjusting the evidence to whatever they want to see
Bottom line Steele is a lower league plodder who has incredible distribution and the season of his life last season.

Verbruggen has the whole package ... he is very highly rated in Holland. He is young and will make mistakes but he is a serious serious keeper who has an amazing all round game, including a much better shot stopping ability than steele.
I know RDZ is good mates with steel but it's Time to give bart an extended run

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just irritates me, if they disagree with my opinion then fair enough let’s debate. But the people who feel the need to say this thread shouldn’t exist without any reasons as to why contribute nothing.
Asked you in my response which you chose to ignore. (See post 93).

So you think the other team members are okay?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Asked you in my response which you chose to ignore. (See post 93).

So you think the other team members are okay?
Apologies I missed that.

On the day then no I don’t think the others were okay, Estupinan and Veltman had very bad games by their standards.

But, this thread was about Webster and Steele over the longer term, I don’t think they are playing at the level we need for where we are. Webster has had a difficult start to the season and the game on Saturday reinforced my view he’s not at the level we need, especially having watched the goals back. The ‘others’ you mention have an awful lot more credit in the bank to excuse a poor performance. I would certainly have JPVH ahead of Webster.

Steele is maybe a bit of a harsher call but I just don’t think he’s of the standard we need going forward. As I said on an earlier post today if you watch the goals back from Saturday 2/3 of them are just very average goalkeeping.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Apologies I missed that.

On the day then no I don’t think the others were okay, Estupinan and Veltman had very bad games by their standards.

But, this thread was about Webster and Steele over the longer term, I don’t think they are playing at the level we need for where we are. Webster has had a difficult start to the season and the game on Saturday reinforced my view he’s not at the level we need, especially having watched the goals back. The ‘others’ you mention have an awful lot more credit in the bank to excuse a poor performance. I would certainly have JPVH ahead of Webster.

Steele is maybe a bit of a harsher call but I just don’t think he’s of the standard we need going forward. As I said on an earlier post today if you watch the goals back from Saturday 2/3 of them are just very average goalkeeping.

Neither does the club. Hence why we signed Bart...

But he is fine for now whilst Bart settles in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Apologies I missed that.

I certainly don’t agree with JPvH having more credit in the bank than Webster. Even isolating Saturday as an example, the first goal was more down to Mitoma and Pervis switching off than Webster, who although admittedly partially culpable, as he failed to react to Watkins movement (as did Dunk) but was effectively sold out as soon as they’d gone inside of Mitoma.

Second Veltman sloppy pass. Steele has to do better though, but the player undoubtedly impacts on his line of vision.

Third is a foul on Solly.

Fourth, given Lamptey hadn’t tucked round, I think Webster did well to get something on it, which of course didn’t help Steele.

Fifth - think Steele got his angles wrong, unfortunate, but a mistake.

Sixth - Webbo got wrong side, but we were non-existent in terms of midfield protection, which specifically at Villa was the bigger problem rather than Steele and Webster (IMO).

Picking up the wider question, Possibly Bart is the better option going forward, but Steele has done well enough to warrant the opportunity.

JPvH may be ok one day, but lacks pace for me and positional sense. See AEK most recently. He seems to relish a physical battle, so those are the games I’d start him. Webster needs to have a run of games, and West Ham aside particularly when Milner did him no favours he is stronger on the ball, has pace and communicates.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I certainly don’t agree with JPvH having more credit in the bank than Webster. Even isolating Saturday as an example, the first goal was more down to Mitoma and Pervis switching off than Webster, who although admittedly partially culpable, as he failed to react to Watkins movement (as did Dunk) but was effectively sold out as soon as they’d gone inside of Mitoma.

Second Veltman sloppy pass. Steele has to do better though, but the player undoubtedly impacts on his line of vision.

Third is a foul on Solly.

Fourth, given Lamptey hadn’t tucked round, I think Webster did well to get something on it, which of course didn’t help Steele.

Fifth - think Steele got his angles wrong, unfortunate, but a mistake.

Sixth - Webbo got wrong side, but we were non-existent in terms of midfield protection, which specifically at Villa was the bigger problem rather than Steele and Webster (IMO).
I agree with most of this, apart form the 5th - where I'm perplexed at a keeper getting stick for a well struck goal that went in off the post :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree with most of this, apart form the 5th - where I'm perplexed at a keeper getting stick for a well struck goal that went in off the post :shrug:
If you look he didn’t extend his arm fully, I think he genuinely thought it was going wide.
It happens. The other 10 made a lot more errors than him imo

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Another awful piece of goalkeeping - that second one was straight at him, he’s got to save that.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Another awful piece of goalkeeping - that second one was straight at him, he’s got to save that.

He's not a top level shot stopper. It's always been obvious, but it's particularly obvious when he's receiving lots of shots.

He needs to be dropped to be fair :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here