[Albion] Steele and Webster

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think a lot of fans think it's enough for a keeper to only save the expected... if it's a decent finish against them, 'fair enough, not a lot he could have done about that one'.

No, that's absolutely the wrong way to see things at this level. Premier League keepers need to be expected to make incredible saves. They're not going to save every great finish - but they should be expected to save at least some of them. It's literally the difference between success and failure.

Having a quality shot stopper in goal is SO IMPORTANT at this level, where shots are so often so precise and clinical.
You may not have noticed, but for our keeper, it is SO IMPORTANT to be able to play with your feet, would have been great if Sanchez had been willing to stick around and develop that ability more, but he wasn't.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
You may not have noticed, but for our keeper, it is SO IMPORTANT to be able to play with your feet, would have been great if Sanchez had been willing to stick around and develop that ability more, but he wasn't.

May as well stick Gross in goal then.

No, we have a perfectly good young keeper in Bart.

Good shot stopper - good with the ball at his feet - and he's only going to get better.

Suspect RDZ will agree with me here, and he will be starting every game going forward.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I was fairly drunk by the fifth, to be fair :)

But no, i don't think 'its fine' that he just saves the ones he should, because that just ends up with Everton scoring 5, Villa scoring 6, West ham scoring 3 off 20% possession, AEK scoring three the same way. Is it too much to ask for a keeper who can pick one out of the corner?

Our last memory of Sanchez is full length tipping a Rashford shot, bound for the bottom corner, around the post to preserve a clean sheet at Wembley. At least till we saw him keep a clean sheet at Stamford Bridge last week.

I have high hopes for Bart, let's leave it there.
That’s the first I’ve heard of causation between possession stats and probability a goalkeeper should make saves. I’m going to suggest there is no such thing.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Good shot stopper - good with the ball at his feet - and he's only going to get better.

Suspect RDZ will agree with me here, and he will be starting every game going forward.

I am pretty sure come the end of the season Bart will have established himself.

But I would be shocked if he starts every game going forward.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
For poor performances you can add Ferguson. Did nothing of note.
Yep. And Mitoma, Welbeck, March, Gilmour and so on. One of those days. It happens, especially at Villa Park. Well done, Emery, Watkins and special mention for Attwell and his contributions in keeping the score up. However, we played badly as a team, and with so many poor performances, we were never going to get anything out of that match. It's easy to come on here and be an Internet football manager, and I don't know any more than anyone else here whether RDZ got things wrong. With so many having off days, none of us knows how it would have ended up if we'd played anything like what we're capable of.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That’s the first I’ve heard of causation between possession stats and probability a goalkeeper should make saves. I’m going to suggest there is no such thing.
I'm not making that link, so don't worry. But they're is a correlation between possession and number of shots.

Would you agree that scoring the first goal is important in games where teams sit back against us? So it follows that if our keeper can pull off a worldie preventing the other team scoring first, that might have a very important bearing on the game?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I suspect you are wrong about that, you will be seeing plenty of Steele.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm not making that link, so don't worry. However, would you agree that scoring the first goal is important in games where teams sit back against us? So it follows that if our keeper can pull off a worldie preventing the other team scoring first, that might have a very important bearing on the game?
Definitely. Even better would be one of the outfield players scoring a first minute hat trick.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I suspect you are wrong about that, you will be seeing plenty of Steele.

Rotating keepers is not a good idea, the defence needs consistency. I think we can all be certain RDZ will not continue doing it for much longer, if at all.

I suspect RDZ wanted Bart to watch more games first - to get a better understanding of what to do in possession.

I pray to God RDZ feels he is ready, as Steele will cost us too many points.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Rotating keepers is not a good idea, the defence needs consistency. I think we can all be certain RDZ will not continue doing it for much longer, if at all.

I suspect RDZ wanted Bart to watch more games first - to get a better understanding of what to do in possession.

Costing us points isn't the issue, he doesn't really make mistakes to my memory. What Steele doesn't do is WIN us points, but i hope that Bart can do that (y)

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Steele was clearly not the reason for the defeat. I’m not sure blame would be right for RDZ either. If we back his style of play it encompasses days like today alongside the good days. Everton last year. Villa this year.
Let me be clear, I do back his style of play, but today the way we set up from the off with Welbeck and Ferguson up front is the reason we lost, so that’s on RDZ not individual players. Genuinely think we could have played that line up / formation ten times and we’d lose quite a few more than we’d win. So today, if we’re proportioning blame it’s RDZ 80% Players 20%

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

No points were dropped because of Steele today, and Verbruggen was in goal for the other 3 points dropped in the league.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Let me be clear, I do back his style of play, but today the way we set up from the off with Welbeck and Ferguson up front is the reason we lost, so that’s on RDZ not individual players. Genuinely think we could have played that line up / formation ten times and we’d lose quite a few more than we’d win. So today, if we’re proportioning blame it’s RDZ 80% Players 20%
I agree about Welbeck and Ferguson. And tbf to RDZ he did take the responsibility, which is your point.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s the system/starting line ups.

We’ve got away in many games starting two light weight/slow technicians as our CM. Whilst opponents, even Plucky, swamp us with three powerhouses.

At this stage we’ve definitely not replaced the bite, nouse and power of Biss/Mwepu/MacA/Caicedo.

Defensively; duos of variously Gross, Gilmour and Milmour couldn’t lace their boots. They lack the power and pace required for that role. Each game doing that is a roll of the dice. Dyche, Emery and the AEK coach were elated in seeing a CM with no power.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It’s the system/starting line ups.

We’ve got away in many games in starting two light weight/slow technicians as our CM. Whilst opponents, even Plucky, swamp us with three powerhouses.

At this stage we’ve definitely not replaced the bite, nouse and power of Biss/Mwepu/MacA/Caicedo.

Defensively; duos of variously Gross, Gilmour and Milmour couldn’t lace their boots. They lack the power and pace required for that role. Each game doing that is a roll of the dice. Dyche, Emery and the AEK coach were elated in seeing a CM with no power.
Hard to argue with what you say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports