Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
CXcHlHiUAAAWbiI.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So is screen 2 (or 3) can't recall now, are they 4DX? I so rarely go to the movies it's all foreign to me.

They have 1 dedicated 4DX screen - with livery all over the doors. It's a bit of a gimmick (IMHO) with moving seats, wind, rain and scents.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They have 1 dedicated 4DX screen - with livery all over the doors. It's a bit of a gimmick (IMHO) with moving seats, wind, rain and scents.

Not sure I'd want a fairground ride watching a movie, spill me beer!!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

See this is what I'm thinking.

It looks like great fun to me, especially after having seen the film already, it just adds an extra element of enjoyment I guess.
However, if it's tacky and irritating, I'd rather see it in IMAX.

If there's any film to first try 4DX though, I imagine TFA is the one.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
See this is what I'm thinking.

It looks like great fun to me, especially after having seen the film already, it just adds an extra element of enjoyment I guess.
However, if it's tacky and irritating, I'd rather see it in IMAX.

If there's any film to first try 4DX though, I imagine TFA is the one.

I'm willing to give it a go.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm willing to give it a go.

I'm going to go for it, probably next Tuesday at 8:20pm.

out of interest, how much is a 4DX ticket compared to IMAX or 3d?

Same price as IMAX I think. £16.00.

'Meercat Movies' brings it down to £22.00 (for 2x tickets) although with 4DX, you must bring or buy glasses (£1.00 each).
With IMAX, they are complimentary.

I got Meercat Movies (2 for the price of 1 on Tues & Weds) for £1.50 for the whole year, so pretty chuffed with that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Finally saw it. Walked away laughing at how big a Mary Sue they have made Rey.

Please Stop Spreading This Nonsense that Rey From Star Wars Is a “Mary Sue”

“Mary Sue” is one of those terms that had a useful meaning in fan culture at one point, long ago, and has now become both vague and toxic. Originally, a “Mary Sue” was an author surrogate, inserted into fan-fiction. The “fan fiction” thing is important, because part of the fantasy of the “Mary Sue” was the fan-fic author getting to live at Hogwarts or travel on board the U.S.S. Enterprise. And this thinly veiled copy of the story’s author is incredibly good at everything, to the point where all the established characters marvel at her (usually it’s “her”) wonderfulness.

The “Mary Sue” is a very specific wish-fulfillment fantasy, in other words. It’s about getting to hang out with Harry, Ron and Hermione, and having them admire you. There’s nothing wrong with that kind of fantasy—we’ve all had it, when we get especially invested in a particular universe—but the term acquired a pejorative meaning because people felt it made for bad stories. Fair enough.

Over time, the term “Mary Sue” has broadened until it means “any female character who is unrealistically talented or skilled.” Which is insane for a couple of reasons: It makes this “trope” so vague as to be meaningless, and this is also purely a way at tearing down female characters who are good at stuff.

So without getting into heavy spoilers, Rey has one element of the “Mary Sue” character locked down: She’s a newly added character in an existing universe. But she’s among a bunch of new characters in the first chapter of a new story, so it’s not like she was introduced halfway through Return of the Jedi and suddenly started out-Lukeing Luke.
(I’d also argue that—SPOILER ALERT!—Kylo Ren teaches Rey a lot about using the Force. Every time she gets better at using it in this film, it’s right after Kylo Ren has tried to use it against her. She sees what he’s doing, and copies it. I thought it was fairly explicit that Kylo Ren is Rey’s “teacher” in this movie.)​

See also forbes article.

Goes from knowing nothing about the force to being able to use it and defeat a trained Jedi in 20 minutes.

There are hints that she has received some training, before being left on Jakku. There's also evidence that she is aware of the legend of Luke Skywalker. A link in my last post shows that there is a religion of people that worship the force, indicating that people still know about it, even if they haven't been trained. Luke was suddenly able to block blasters from that ball thing within minutes of trying.

And others have pointed out he wasn't a fully trained Jedi.

Goes from being a junker to be being able to fly the millennium falcon like one of the best pilots in the galaxy. Simply by sayin "i'm a pilot".

Like Annakin. And similar to Luke going from farm boy to death star destroy because he used to bullseye wamprats. In this galaxy far, far away, people aren't chained to their planets. Her 'I'm a pilot' was clearly meant to indicate that while being a junker, she also has experience flying ships. She is also, contrary to the articles I linked above, too familiar with the millenium falcon's history and the 'upgrades' that Unker Platt had made to not have experience with it that could be easily used to explain her ability to fly it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

“Mary Sue” is one of those terms that had a useful meaning in fan culture at one point, long ago, and has now become both vague and toxic. Originally, a “Mary Sue” was an author surrogate, inserted into fan-fiction. The “fan fiction” thing is important, because part of the fantasy of the “Mary Sue” was the fan-fic author getting to live at Hogwarts or travel on board the U.S.S. Enterprise. And this thinly veiled copy of the story’s author is incredibly good at everything, to the point where all the established characters marvel at her (usually it’s “her”) wonderfulness.

The “Mary Sue” is a very specific wish-fulfillment fantasy, in other words. It’s about getting to hang out with Harry, Ron and Hermione, and having them admire you. There’s nothing wrong with that kind of fantasy—we’ve all had it, when we get especially invested in a particular universe—but the term acquired a pejorative meaning because people felt it made for bad stories. Fair enough.

Over time, the term “Mary Sue” has broadened until it means “any female character who is unrealistically talented or skilled.” Which is insane for a couple of reasons: It makes this “trope” so vague as to be meaningless, and this is also purely a way at tearing down female characters who are good at stuff.

So without getting into heavy spoilers, Rey has one element of the “Mary Sue” character locked down: She’s a newly added character in an existing universe. But she’s among a bunch of new characters in the first chapter of a new story, so it’s not like she was introduced halfway through Return of the Jedi and suddenly started out-Lukeing Luke.
(I’d also argue that—SPOILER ALERT!—Kylo Ren teaches Rey a lot about using the Force. Every time she gets better at using it in this film, it’s right after Kylo Ren has tried to use it against her. She sees what he’s doing, and copies it. I thought it was fairly explicit that Kylo Ren is Rey’s “teacher” in this movie.)​

See also forbes article.

There are hints that she has received some training, before being left on Jakku. There's also evidence that she is aware of the legend of Luke Skywalker. A link in my last post shows that there is a religion of people that worship the force, indicating that people still know about it, even if they haven't been trained. Luke was suddenly able to block blasters from that ball thing within minutes of trying.

Like Annakin. And similar to Luke going from farm boy to death star destroy because he used to bullseye wamprats. In this galaxy far, far away, people aren't chained to their planets. Her 'I'm a pilot' was clearly meant to indicate that while being a junker, she also has experience flying ships. She is also, contrary to the articles I linked above, too familiar with the millenium falcon's history and the 'upgrades' that Unker Platt had made to not have experience with it that could be easily used to explain her ability to fly it.

The other explanation for her not having really realised her use of the force, is that this is the Force Awakens. The underlying story is that after Luke abandons his teaching, no one is using the force (good side at least) so the force has remained dormant for some time. Hence when Rey is effectively forced into using it in the MF it is the 'awakening' Ren and the big bloke both feel through the dark side.

I do think sometimes people enter a cinema intentionally unable or unwilling to 'go with the flow' and fill in the gaps themselves. The great success of TFA is that it doesn't try to fill in or expand on every event, it allows the film narrative to drive the movie without getting bogged down. I agree with you, the fact Rey knows the modifications in the MF is enough to tell you she knows how to fly it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

See also forbes article.

Took three movies for Luke to get the Force. Got the shit kicked out of him and rescued plenty of times in those movie.

Rey is a rubbish character and every bit a Mary Sue. Typical Disney drivel.

And yes, people bagged the shit out of Annakin too for being a rubbish character in the movies.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I thought the whole point was that Ren wasn't a trained Jedi? We are told Luke failed in his training of him. So he goes off to the dark side, half cocked, uncontrolled, temper tantrums - it's pretty clear I thought that he wasn't particularly powerful, appeared to have no master, had serious commitment issues, and wasn't top dog in the chain of command. He struggled getting info. from Poe, and shit himself as soon as he met Rey...that was no Jedi.

He should have more control of it than a person who has no idea what the hell it is.

The whole mind control of the Stormtrooper to escape was parody comedy at its best.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He should have more control of it than a person who has no idea what the hell it is.

The whole mind control of the Stormtrooper to escape was parody comedy at its best.

I thought there was a good bit of humour running through the film. Poe at the end saying 'right, we deactivate this, bomb that, lets go' actually bought a laugh out loud moment from me - in a good way I might add, a nod at the complexity of the prequels. I thought that mind control scene was intended to be funny hence the dialogue.

The whole Star Wars premise is built upon the prophecy of a person bringing balance to the force. Was it Anakin, Luke or now Rey? If it is Rey then you would expect her to have extraordinary abilities if she is to indeed fulfil that prophecy in the course of the next two films.

What were you expecting, a Kubrick-esque sci-fi intellectual masterpiece?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The lead actress was pretty erratic.
Blimey - she was my favourite of the lot, I thought she was excellent. But then I'm no movie buff, so perhaps less convincing moments go over my head.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Blimey - she was my favourite of the lot, I thought she was excellent. But then I'm no movie buff, so perhaps less convincing moments go over my head.

You one of those people that watches movies, rather than a wannabe movie critic.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You one of those people that watches movies, rather than a wannabe movie critic.
Correct (and I'm not complaining about those who are more discerning than me), nail on head - I'm like a child in a world of disbelief. I'd hate to be watching a movie and thinking about how well the director has done something etc, I want to believe it's all real while the film's on. I dislike most movies, because they're so unrealistic they pull me out of my little world.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its clear to me Kylo Ren is a plant in the dark side by Luke to finish them off once and for all ;-)

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck

Haven't read through all of the pages of this thread, but I am lead to believe that the Stormtrooper in the mind control escape scene was played by Daniel Craig who was shooting Spectre at Elstree at the same time as TFA!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Haven't read through all of the pages of this thread, but I am lead to believe that the Stormtrooper in the mind control escape scene was played by Daniel Craig who was shooting Spectre at Elstree at the same time as TFA!

It was indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here