Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - with Spoilers - discussion thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Didn't he make a fortune from the first one though?
Don't know about the first, but he did the filiming for the second and third in a day (or half) and got something like 0.4% of the entire takings for the films.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don't know about the first, but he did the filiming for the second and third in a day (or half) and got something like 0.4% of the entire takings for the films.

Believe he got 2.25% of the takings for the first. World wide box office was £786m. That makes about £17m. Not a bad fee for 1977

Edit. Actually, think he got less than that. He got 2.25% of what George Lucas got in royalties which was a fifth of the take. So he made about $3.3m which again wasn't bad for 1977.

Last edited:

Hate to be the Christmas grinch but it felt a bit flat to me. How many times can they keep retreading the same thing over and over again, blowing up a death star for the umpteenth time (and I thought that bit really lacked drama, seemed to explode way after the rebels did anything), cutesey robots and animal creatures, naive squeaky-clean young goodies...the too simplistic good v evil thing.

I loved the first Star Wars, the sound and effects and the mythical tale were just perfect but the franchise has really trod water since then for me. Bit like watching yer da Morrissey's vaudeville act now after worshipping the Smiths in your youth.

Science fiction is such a creative genre and Star Wars seems so plain vanilla compared with more braver examples. Even this year you came out of the cinema blown away and nervously shaking after Mad Max: Fury Road. The thematic and satirical brilliance of the Battlestar Galactica series reboot, the charm of Firefly/Serenity, even in pure blockbuster terms the Marvel films like Iron Man 3 and the first Avengers film have hit the mark much better.

I'd be really interested to know if the Force Awakens dominates the school playground chat as much as the first Star Wars did for my generation or if the box office record is actually being driven by the oldies of my vintage.

No I haven't, I must say. Any recommendations?

Adam Driver is brilliant as the crazed boyfriend in the Lena Dunham vehicle Girls. It's a great show, so worth watching for a lot else besides him.

The helmet off thing was one of the few things I really responded well to as it felt surprising and by that stage I was crying out for the plot just to do something different.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I was five when the first film came out in 1977 and remember going to see it at the cinema and being hooked. I tolerated the prequels bit little more and had set my bar accordingly low for The Force Awakens. However, I loved it. Really, really enjoyed it. It made me feel as though as I was 11 or 12 again, as I got swept away in it (and I don't tend to watch anything action/Marvel related these days). It's pretty faithful to its roots and feels a lot more tangible than the prequels as quite a bit less of it is spat out of a computer. It will work as a stand-alone film for the new generation but I reckon there's enough there to please most long standing watchers.

100% this took me right back to being 9 years old in 1977. It made me emotional and very nostalgic. Great job in my opinion.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
This is absolutely worth watching if you're a Star Wars fan.
A documentary on George Lucas and the making (and reception) of the original trilogy.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Having watched it this morning i have to say that i left the cinema feeling a bit flat.Sure there were many elements that were great, the scene setting was excellent and the characters were good but, and it is a very large but, the final play (i.e, the blowing up of the battle station) was a massive disappointment. There was no flow to the scenes and it all came across as being extremely disjointed. The disabling of the shield was a joke and seemed to be totally separate from the attack which appeared to take about 3 minutes.

Added to that the continuity throughout the film was terrible (and yes i know that it is a childrens fantasy film) but on a number of occasions characters were in one place, yet a number of seconds later (and you could measure time as the attack was always being counted down with a view to when the resistance base could be destroyed) the same characters have miraculously either crossed a great cavern or relocated onto a totally different area of the action (on foot).

My kids loved it and i guess as a kids film it did what it set out to do. However i think that all the coverage that i had read had set my bar way to high and it fell some way short.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Great looking movie but the plot and character development (and some of the acting) was very disappointing. Overall a real anti climax and missed opportunity for me. Maybe my expectations were too high (hyped).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is absolutely worth watching if you're a Star Wars fan.
A documentary on George Lucas and the making (and reception) of the original trilogy.

before commiting to 2.5hrs, is this a real history acknowledging maybe even explaining the original plots and story, or revisionist history that maintains the pretense that George always wanted to do a trilogy for the first films and wanted to do the backstory of Vader first but couldnt sell that story? (a ludicrous claim given how contrived the second trilogy was getting to Vader's creation)

...The disabling of the shield was a joke and seemed to be totally separate from the attack which appeared to take about 3 minutes.

Added to that the continuity throughout the film was terrible (and yes i know that it is a childrens fantasy film) but on a number of occasions characters were in one place, yet a number of seconds later...

the shield was a poor spot, Phasma not exactly putting up a fight, and while there why not take the oscillator ofline too? the continuity suffered from some fairly substantial cutting, though im glad of most of it (chase scenes are usually fairly pointless when done for the sake of it). one key scene though i wish they'd kept in concerns Kylo and Snokes discussing the weakness of Vader who ultimatly failed due to sentimental feelings towards Luke. reading it, it would add so much depth and purpose to both charaters, though for first viewing it would probably spoil the end and is probably why it got cut. seems getting the novelisation of the film is going to be worthwhile, with many scenes in the book that didnt make the film.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
before commiting to 2.5hrs, is this a real history acknowledging maybe even explaining the original plots and story, or revisionist history that maintains the pretense that George always wanted to do a trilogy for the first films and wanted to do the backstory of Vader first but couldnt sell that story? (a ludicrous claim given how contrived the second trilogy was getting to Vader's creation)

Yes to all of the above, however they only briefly talk about how Vader's character was well established before the others.

Trust me, if you're a Star Wars fan, you'll love it. :thumbsup:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Saw it nye. Really enjoyed it...loved the opening with the crashed battle cruiser in the sand.

Anyone think the young girl is Luke skywalker's daughter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here