Star Wars: The Force Awakens - with Spoilers - discussion thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Finally seen it today so can read the thread, lost the force after 40 odd posts....so have skipped to say I have waited since 1986 after ROTJ to see that....and wasn't disappointed, thought it was a 5 star film, you could argue about minor issues but even the missus enjoyed it. She's defo Luke's daughter. Thought the London lad who played Finn has just made himself a star and Daisy stole the show. Loved JJ Abrams directing/writing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just come across this small article re: accents in Star Wars

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/23/10657798/rey-english-accent

I'm not sure I'm convinced by their predictability argument - there is a world of difference between seeing something coming in the preceding moments to it occurring (the death of Han by the way the scene unfolds), and seeing something coming an entire movie (or more?) away.

It also doesn't seem to go to any great lengths to address and argue against other people that could fit the accent.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It rated 89 out of 100 for me. Don't see how they could have made a much better film. Hans Solo being killed however has ruined my Xmas. It has broken the worldwide box office billionaire club taking 1 090 000 000 dollars after 9 days

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Saw it today and enjoyed it...but never mind A New Hope, I was left wishing it had a new plot. Its basically a complete rehash of E4. Why does the Empire persist with building these planet-destroying Death Star battlestations that have their shields powered by lightly guarded outpost stations just ripe for picking off by the Rebels ? Don't they ever LEARN ??

Visually stunning, I enjoyed the new characters, and there's a nice wry humour to it throughout (something that was painfully absent in I, II and III). And I get that its paying homage to the originals. But it really needed a new storyline.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
When you've just paid £4billion for something then another £200 mill making it why would you take a risk?

Star Wars fans wanted proper Star wars....................they got it.

I'll judge the overall story when I've seen the complete trilogy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why does the Empire persist with building these planet-destroying Death Star battlestations that have their shields powered by lightly guarded outpost stations just ripe for picking off by the Rebels ? Don't they ever LEARN ??
Those that would learn keep dying.

Absolutely 100% not.
I feel you haven't got a firm grasp of percentages.

Rey is almost certainly from the family of Obi Wan which is why you hear his voice shout "Rey" in the scene where she holds Anakin's lightsaber in Mas' place.
Almost certainly? Weird for a man that never had children. He's a force ghost, he can speak to people like Rey.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Saw it again today, enjoyed it more than the first viewing as I've got over the 'it's too similar to iv !' feeling after first viewing. it's definitely Daniel Craig as the stormtrooper who fell for Rey's jedi mind trick as you can recognise his voice. Liked Kylo's character more as I accepted he's an immature illdefined character rather than a fully formed one. I think Fin was one of the Jedi younglings but not a strong one and Rey is a Skywalker, stronger than Kylo but also could easily go to the Dark Side

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Saw it today and enjoyed it...but never mind A New Hope, I was left wishing it had a new plot. Its basically a complete rehash of E4. Why does the Empire persist with building these planet-destroying Death Star battlestations that have their shields powered by lightly guarded outpost stations just ripe for picking off by the Rebels ? Don't they ever LEARN ??

Visually stunning, I enjoyed the new characters, and there's a nice wry humour to it throughout (something that was painfully absent in I, II and III). And I get that its paying homage to the originals. But it really needed a new storyline.

I watched A New Hope yesterday and it is amazing how similar it is the AFA.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Absolutely 100% not.

Rey is almost certainly from the family of Obi Wan which is why you hear his voice shout "Rey" in the scene where she holds Anakin's lightsaber in Mas' place.

Yoda also called to her. OH. MY. GOD. She's the love child of Yoda and Obi Wan!!!

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Now that I've seen the movie there are two things that struck me.

What if Harrison Ford had actually died in that vintage plane crash in March 2015? That would have been one hell of a dramatic scene to see Han Solo plunge to his death in the movie, alone!!.Well, his last name is Solo.

Also, I think Rae is actually Finn's sister and she is actually going to fall in love with Luke who turns out to be her cousin once removed because she is Obiwan Kenobi's grand daughter. Can you wrap your head around that?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Finn was taken at a young age by the first order, he wasn't a Jedi youngling.

Would he have been recognised as a potential jedi youngling had he not been taken by the first order? Kylo Ren seemed to sense his, er, awakening :)wink:) from his conditioning...

I think that could be rather silly, if not done well. Though I suspect his sensing Fin losing faith in the first order was simply something the force allows him to do with people who don't have midi (or maxi) chlorians, and that they're not going to make Fin a Jedi-in-waiting. My tongue was mostly in my cheek for the above sentence.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The greater depth to Stormtroopers was good. Apart from Fin I liked that we saw them looking reasonably competent in action and the scene where the two stormtroopers decided to stay out the way of Kylo Ren's hissy fit.
Captain Phasma was a non event though.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Absolutely loved it.

Don't care about speculating about who rogered who etc.

Just can't wait for the next one.
Very happy that we only have to wait less than a year for Rogue One.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would he have been recognised as a potential jedi youngling had he not been taken by the first order?
I'm cedrtainly not suggesting he couldn't be force sensitive, and could have been spotted by Luke etc, I'm just saying that the story we're told is that he was in the first order from a young age, and therefore not a Jedi youngling. It would be weird if he happened to be force sensitive too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports