Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - with Spoilers - discussion thread

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What happened to Lukes hand, previously he had a robotic arm however it looked normal as before with a skin, has he lost his hand again?

Probably worn it away. It must've been lonely stuck on that island for 30-odd years.

[edit]

plus of course he would've had the added bonus of it feeling like someone elses :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Point 2. Yes I think they have done a good job in layering the character, but I like my bad guys to be seen as strong, whats the point of the bad guy being an average Joe its not really going to take a lot for him to be beaten next time round.
Maybe next time he'll be stronger. Everyone seems to want Rey to start weak and grow in strength gradually, but for Kylo to start super strong, but there's no need for it to be that way.

Obviously he is still in training, but he has had enough to stop a blaster in mid flight, but not enough to over come Rey and Finn
That's not what happened. He deliberately toyed with Finn, because Finn was a traitor. He knocked Rey unconscious and could have killed her and Finn quickly, but that wasn't his mission. He'd been told to bring Rey to Snook, so he was showboating - and we know that can come and bite you in the ass.

Point 3. I think this could have easily been fixed with BB8 trying to fix him the whole time from when they met.
No, no, no. R2 was not broken. He had one mission, and one mission only. To reveal Luke's whereabouts when the time came.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Thank you :blush: I think that might be my first 'great post', and it only took slightly over 20,000 attempts.

I want to see it at a proper IMAX (2D 70mm etc), but I think the UK only has one, in Waterloo. Crawley's biggest screen sounds tempting, but I don't really want to see it in 3D. F'ing big 2D would be nice. But I could try 3D if that's the only option.

Haha.

Yeah I've just had a look for 2D IMAX but it looks like you're right.
I'm still debating whether to go to Crawley for IMAX or 4DX. I think screen-size might be the decider.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Maybe next time he'll be stronger. Everyone seems to want Rey to start weak and grow in strength gradually, but for Kylo to start super strong, but there's no need for it to be that way.

That's not what happened. He deliberately toyed with Finn, because Finn was a traitor. He knocked Rey unconscious and could have killed her and Finn quickly, but that wasn't his mission. He'd been told to bring Rey to Snook, so he was showboating - and we know that can come and bite you in the ass.

No, no, no. R2 was not broken. He had one mission, and one mission only. To reveal Luke's whereabouts when the time came.

he was hibernating, fair enough. still feels weak. wake up when the time comes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd love to know what [MENTION=4800]Tyrone Biggums[/MENTION] thought of the Prequels if he disliked THIS one ;)

You don't have to look for plotholes in the prequels to dislike them, there's a whole host of things in those three films to despise.

That said, I don't despise the prequels. They just annoy me because they could and should have been so much better.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
he was hibernating, fair enough. still feels weak. wake up when the time comes.
We don't know anything about how R2 works - we don't know what he uses for energy, if the Resistance keeps him topped-up or if that's not necessary. My take on it is that what C3PO calls 'low power mode' is actually R2 constantly listening/scanning for whatever it is he was waiting for. That was what Luke asked him to do, and he's Luke's droid. He wasn't hibernating like a bear.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I doubt there's been a sci-fi film ever made that doesn't have a few plot-holes, or the requirement of a few leaps of faith.

the first Star Wars has gapping plot holes, not least that farm boy takes up with old codger on mission to save a princess... etc. as long as the story arc from here to there works, who cares? (the main problem with the prequal was they created more holes as they desperately retro-fit that story to a fixed ending.)

We don't know anything about how R2 works - we don't know what he uses for energy, if the Resistance keeps him topped-up or if that's not necessary. My take on it is that what C3PO calls 'low power mode' is actually R2 constantly listening/scanning for whatever it is he was waiting for. That was what Luke asked him to do, and he's Luke's droid. He wasn't hibernating like a bear.

thats exactly what a low power state would mean, though some more direct interaction from BB-8 or others would have made this unnecessary question/problem in the film disappear. like a couple of points, there's a lot of expectation on the viewer to explain away issues, for the sake of 2-3 seconds of film. when people cant catch basic plot points such as Ren's state unease/unpreparedness, Rey being a pretty hard nut to begin with, that expectation is a tall order.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Come on, it was the most poignant ending to episodes 4 to 6 when Luke finally rescued his father off the Death Star and vindication that he did have a tiny bit of good left with Anakin's dying breathe 'tell your sister you were right about me' before escaping in the imperial shuttle.

You got a deserved facepalm for a lack of nerd knowledge, while picking holes in the new one!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Come on, it was the most poignant ending to episodes 4 to 6 when Luke finally rescued his father off the Death Star and vindication that he did have a tiny bit of good left with Anakin's dying breathe 'tell your sister you were right about me' before escaping in the imperial shuttle.

You got a deserved facepalm for a lack of nerd knowledge, while picking holes in the new one!

I said thanks. what more do you want me to say? You were right I'm wrong? although a thanks usually covers that.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I said thanks. what more do you want me to say? You were right I'm wrong? although a thanks usually covers that.

<ragged, raspy voice> Tell [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] he was right

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The official explanations for R2D2 waking up when he did:

http://www.geek.com/news/jj-abrams-and-star-wars-writers-explain-r2-d2-in-the-force-awakens-1642788/

It was decided that when R2-D2 plugged into the Death Star in A New Hope, he obtained the Empire’s map of the galaxy, the one that he displays in the movie. “But the idea was that in that scene where R2 plugged in, he downloaded the archives of the Empire, which was referenced by Kylo Ren,” Abrams said. Then it was BB-8’s arrival with the other part of the map that starts R2-D2’s return. “BB-8 comes up and says something to him, which is basically, ‘I’ve got this piece of a map, do you happen to have the rest?'” Abrams said. “The idea was, R2 who has been all over the galaxy, is still in his coma, but he hears this. And it triggers something that would ultimately wake him up.”

Why he wakes up when he does is completely based on dramatic context of the movie, and Abrams acknowledges that, saying, “While it may seem, you know, completely lucky and an easy way out, at that point in the movie, when you’ve lost a person, desperately, and somebody you hopefully care about is unconscious, you want someone to return.”

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
thats exactly what a low power state would mean, though some more direct interaction from BB-8 or others would have made this unnecessary question/problem in the film disappear.
On this particular point, I don't think there is any question/problem. And spending a couple of seconds to explain it, like Scooby-do, would take away from the film. No one knew what R2's mission was (apart from Luke). No one knew he was sat there waiting for a map or Rey, so for someone to have explained what was obvious anyway would have been a bit naff IMO. The sort of thing that happened all to often in the prequels.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Why he wakes up when he does is completely based on dramatic context of the movie, and Abrams acknowledges that, saying, “While it may seem, you know, completely lucky and an easy way out, at that point in the movie, when you’ve lost a person, desperately, and somebody you hopefully care about is unconscious, you want someone to return.”

He got to number one with the Smurf song too, blokes a bloody genius!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
How was it at the IMAX?

4DX is also in Crawley, screen 1.

4DX is with the moving seats, smells, water spray and all that stuff.

I went to see it again in 4DX last night, it was OK - I would not see another film in it again - too much.

My neck is sore this morning form moving around.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'm amazed at how the films detractors have such an in depth knowledge on how the FORCE works,

particularly among young Jedi and their training (or lack of ) regime. :lolol:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Blimey - she was my favourite of the lot, I thought she was excellent. But then I'm no movie buff, so perhaps less convincing moments go over my head.

Off topic but that made me ponder how a movie/film buff is defined.
One definition I saw said that if any of the following apply to you then you're a film buff:

1. While channel surfing, you join a good movie in progress, and watch the rest of the movie (even though it may require you to adjust your plans for the rest of the day).
2. After you watch a movie, you go look up its cast and crew to learn more about them.
3. While reading about the cast and crew, you see they were in another interesting movie, and start reading about that one. Then, while reading about that movie, you’re diverted to another and so on.
4. You browse through the TV schedule as soon as it’s published and set your video recording device to ensure you don’t miss any desired movies.
5. You’re willing to give a famous movie a second chance even though you didn’t like it the first time around.
6. You keep a list of movies you want to see, but haven’t.
7. You provide family members and friends with a list of DVDs as gift ideas for you.
8. You make family and friends watch classic movies with you…at least the ones you feel are required viewing.
9. You play movie games with family and friends on long trips.
10. You read movie blogs–like this thread...

Not sure that works. The dictionary definition of a buff is a ​person who ​knows a lot about and is very ​interested in a ​particular ​subject. Based on that I'm no movie buff but (and this is no criticism) you appear to be a massive Star Wars buff. More power to you saber I say as I'm enjoying this thread.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On this particular point, I don't think there is any question/problem. And spending a couple of seconds to explain it, like Scooby-do, would take away from the film. No one knew what R2's mission was (apart from Luke). No one knew he was sat there waiting for a map or Rey, so for someone to have explained what was obvious anyway would have been a bit naff IMO. The sort of thing that happened all to often in the prequels.

well, the debate on the matter, would suggest for many (not yourself) this is a problem. not suggesting an explaination of driod standby procedures, in line with the reply above yours, i think it just needed a more clear and marked interaction between BB8 and R2 on their encounter, say a physical interaction to "boot" R2. there was a communication, just many seem to miss it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
For those who complain about aspects of the new film that are too convenient/unbelievable,

no one ever seems to worry when its Luke in Empire though....???

SPOILER ALERT if you havent seen Empire Strikes Back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here