Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St James's Street, brighton, Sh*thole!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The agra Tandoori is the NUTS.

I look forward to moving back to my BN2 postcode as it'll be 10 seconds walk from Queens Park even though the council have decided to make it resident permit parking only round there. Well out of order that is, they should amke AMEX pay for the residents, it's all their f***ing staff.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
greens in west street is ok. i also sometimes go to standard the event about once every two years and i can swear to that.

mostly go down the lanes to drink as its nicer atmosphere. font, old orleans, browns sometimes, leos lounge

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
hove born&bred said:
Five ways is by the Stammer pub and the Co-op also the Agra Tandoori and what was Savoury books, about a qtr of the way up Ditchling road by Princes Road.........................actually

are you having a laugh !?

princes road is next to the BP petrol Station up ditchling Road!

This is NOT Fiveways.

it makes me laugh how people change the geography to suit where they live.

by the way I drive round brighton and hove for my job and also work in postcode order so I think I know a thing or 2 about areas

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I seem to remember "Pink Coconuts being ok" for loose women, as long as you bought em a kebab end of the night they were yours!!!!!!

:lolol:

D

Deleted User X18H

Mr Popkins said:
are you having a laugh !?

princes road is next to the BP petrol Station up ditchling Road!

This is NOT Fiveways.

it makes me laugh how people change the geography to suit where they live.

by the way I drive round brighton and hove for my job and also work in postcode order so I think I know a thing or 2 about areas
I live in Clyde Road in Glorious BN1 Fiveways is BN2
end of.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
hove born&bred said:
I live in Clyde Road in Glorious BN1 Fiveways is BN2
end of.

For Fucks sake its BN1 6!!!!

look at the royal mail website!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
St James street, a traveller's view...

This is St James's Street and it's the oldest shopping street in the town. It was built by Kemp to service his estate that he was building in Kemptown. In 1826, a traveller came to Brighton and he went into St James Street and he describes the street as the Bond Street of Brighton. He said he had never seen such luxury. So it was very, very popular - very, very high-class shops of all descriptions."

Image and text from the 1994 My Brighton museum exhibit

Comments:

"I have memories of Gizzi's ice cream parlour & cafe, Hallett's optician's opposite, a corner hot pie shop that after WW2 had plastic birds that dipped their beaks into water glasses, really, Martha Gunn's fishmonger & the newsagents at the bottom end, almost next to Lyons where I bought the the first issue of The Eagle. " (John Sullivan, 16-10-03)

Make a comment about this page

st_james_street1.JPG

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Pah - Worthing has the worst street in Britain. That's official!

Radio FiveLive listerners voted Teville Gate as being the worst in the UK recently

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
chips and gravy said:

Radio FiveLive listerners voted Teville Gate as being the worst in the UK recently
all went down hill when flemmings closed! i live in london now but my family still live in worthing and i would never ever go out in worthing! what a shit hole!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Cash converters were invented for junkies.

I

Who sang that,

Skinnyman wannit ?

or

Its on the Countryman Skitz LP ??

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Lord Bracknell said:
When was "then"?

There was a visible gay community in the area when I lived up St James's Street - and that was in the late SIXTIES.

But I agree. It was a nice street. Still is, imo.
About 20 years ago and it was a heck of a lot quieter then and barely ever saw gays plodding around,although as time as moved on its obviously known that gays are very open these days as you can see grrrrrrr,ball groping and snogging all over the place.Makes me cringe for some reason.:shootself

The community was good then and boy how things have changed as its full of shit full stop and hate that area and all who hang out there.:angry:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
chips and gravy said:

Agreed, though bit of a difference in terms of how many people congregate there.
But both have their purposes -

St James's Street, which can provide an intriguing insight into so many different types of people passing by. And it leads to St George's Road, which has a decent-ish record shop and a decent-er guitar shop. (Though the Beatles memorabilia shop has sadly closed.)

And Teville Gate, which is on the way to the railway station.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's never been the same since they closed the Beano Pie Shop.:p

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
I used to own a house at Fiveways and it was BN2
You must have been just 'over the border' Tim. I live in Fiveways and I'm BN1

The Agra Tandoori is pretty good as are the doner kebabs from Tuckers - but their pizzas are rubbish. Oh, and if there is a better traditional chippy anywhere that's better than the Model I'll be amazed - mind you in comparison with the one in the Dip any chippy would be brilliant.

Haven't been in the 'Stabber' since an unpleasant incident with a racist former landlord and some of his cronies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here