Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton plan £7.5m raid on Brighton for Solly March

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I suppose we saw bigger clubs than Southampton pay them for players of potential rather than achievement, so if we have joined that school of processing and improving the youngsters that we take in, then i'm pretty happy with that. If the invented rumour is a tool for March to realise his potential and continue to put in top drawer performances with end product, then all the better for it. I doubt this is a bid we currently need to worry over though, or suddenly believe that Solly is in the top 14 world wingers because of.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Quite a transformation from just two months ago when the boy-in-a-men's-team's lack of strength and decision-making was driving many (including me) up the wall.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Got to love NSC. A few games ago Solly was shit and out now his depth. Now he's the best thing ever. It would be nice if people spent more time supporting the young players like Solly and JFC rather than getting on their backs so quickly!

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
It is a lot of money, money that could be put towards a Calleri-quality player?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
England U21 winger who has been starting and scoring goals for the team that is top of the Championship. £7.5m.. Thanks but no thanks.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My point is that even without this rumour CH may be considering playing 1 wide man to allow a place for Towell. Who does he expect him to replace or has he just signed him to make up the squad numbers?

BG considering you alwaqys advocate that we need cover for every position I am surprised you would even think that Towell would walk into the team as it is now. He is a cover player or on the bench player at best until he proves otherwise in training.

As for Solly. He is not a Lewis Dunk - He is not the type of lad to let this stuff go to his head. He is more likely to be surprised by a story like this. These sort of stories are fed to the newspapers by Agents to try and negotiate new contracts

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Keeping Dunk and (if this is true) keeping March and any other first teamer through January is a bigger "statement of intent" than any signing we have made IMO

Totally agree. This season has been built on team spirit so far. Some individuals who have previously struggled are blossoming, others are playing out of their skins. March, Stephens, Kayal, Bruno, LuaLua, Stockdale, all having their best performances in an Albion shirt if not their careers. We really don't want to be breaking that at the turn of the year.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Lazy desk journalism. No source, just evidence of a young player in form and a previous interest.

Alex Smith works for the M & Y news agency in Hampshire so will have been told to write a story that is strong enough to get into the national papers. Easier for the Mirror to use the agency copy than get a decent journo on their staff to look into it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Got to love NSC. A few games ago Solly was shit and out now his depth. Now he's the best thing ever. It would be nice if people spent more time supporting the young players like Solly and JFC rather than getting on their backs so quickly!

That isn't NSC, I am sure Hughton and Solly himself would acknowledge he looked out of his depth. I think it was at home to Cardiff where something happened, either a soul searching from Solly, or the manager told him to just be free, but the transformation was before our eyes either side of half time. Since that second half he's been superb. Forget NSC, that is football, and a player suddenly bursting into life brimming with confidence.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
That isn't NSC, I am sure Hughton and Solly himself would acknowledge he looked out of his depth. I think it was at home to Cardiff where something happened, either a soul searching from Solly, or the manager told him to just be free, but the transformation was before our eyes either side of half time. Since that second half he's been superb. Forget NSC, that is football, and a player suddenly bursting into life brimming with confidence.

This. The first 15 minutes aside, he was unplayable that day and has been great ever since :)

Alex Smith works for the M & Y news agency in Hampshire so will have been told to write a story that is strong enough to get into the national papers. Easier for the Mirror to use the agency copy than get a decent journo on their staff to look into it.

So this story originates from M&Y and, if there is any factual basis to the content, AS was primed to write it by the Scummers.

See you on Thursday evening btw.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He would be foolish to go.

Alli turned down numerous clubs before he signed for Spurs in the summer so he could play first team football, which he says himself benefited him massively.

Really think young English players shouldn't be able to move clubs till they are over 21

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So this story originates from M&Y and, if there is any factual basis to the content, AS was primed to write it by the Scummers.

See you on Thursday evening btw.

More likely his boss at M&Y saying 'What have we got that we can flog to the nationals?' Southampton's media operation isn't that sophisticated or proactive. Anything they want put out there would more likely go through the Telegraph, which has two Saints fans in prominent positions (deputy football correspondent Jeremy Wilson and head of sport Adam Sills).

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He would be foolish to go.

Alli turned down numerous clubs before he signed for Spurs in the summer so he could play first team football, which he says himself benefited him massively.

Really think young English players shouldn't be able to move clubs till they are over 21

Unworkable, at what age should a player waive his rights to freely move between clubs within the already EPPP rules, they shouldn't be arbitrarily stuck with a club irrespective of that clubs coaching, playing quality or status.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Unworkable, at what age should a player waive his rights to freely move between clubs within the already EPPP rules, they shouldn't be arbitrarily stuck with a club irrespective of that clubs coaching, playing quality or status.

You are of course right, but so many young players that could become very good are lost chasing the money.

Has that Patrick Roberts played more than 1 game for City this year after leaving Fulham?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here