Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton plan £7.5m raid on Brighton for Solly March

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG considering you alwaqys advocate that we need cover for every position I am surprised you would even think that Towell would walk into the team as it is now. He is a cover player or on the bench player at best until he proves otherwise in training.

As for Solly. He is not a Lewis Dunk - He is not the type of lad to let this stuff go to his head. He is more likely to be surprised by a story like this. These sort of stories are fed to the newspapers by Agents to try and negotiate new contracts

I think that reading between the lines of Richie Towells interview he is expecting to be in the starting line up or ag least on the bench rather than initially be back up. We have nobody to play the role Texiera played and I see him as that man. I feel that CH is a man who plays each team according to the opposition and there will be times when he feels we need a tighter formation. As regards back up we have Van La Parre on loan at the moment and who knews the future plus Lua Lua on the road to recovery so the wide back up is there. We have plenty for midfield so I do not see Towell as a signing as back up.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You are of course right, but so many young players that could become very good are lost chasing the money.

Has that Patrick Roberts played more than 1 game for City this year after leaving Fulham?

Well firstly most are not moving for money, most are moving for status which will include increased money, just like Walton, Towell, Ward etc etc coming to us and they reasonably expect that an improved status should represent an increase in the quality of coaching, development, sport science and every aspect of what is now considered tools to maximise each players potential.

I do agree that competitive first team playing time can sometimes supersede all of the other aspects and needs to be considered, but as young adults with usually sound guidance behind them they make the decision based on what they feel would be beneficial to their career, its very rarely money initially, I am sure he would be in a position to have a long and lucrative contract with Fulham anyway.

I cannot be sure of Roberts position, I do not follow him closely perhaps he is injured, perhaps he is playing brilliantly for their U21's and the club have high expectations for him, or perhaps he is due to go out on loan to a club with a comparable status to Fulham anyway, but it shouldnt follow that they need restriction of their right to choose their own preferred professional pathway.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We've spent out quite a bit in transfer fees this season, you'd imagine that our wage bill is pretty eye watering too. £7.5m would go some way towards balancing the books, much like the sale of Ulloa did. I don't want to sell him, but if he wants to go and we can broker a deal that suits us (possibly a sell/loan back agreement) then I wouldn't be too disappointed. Anyway it'll all be thought through by the club and I trust them to do what's best for the long term.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Puzzled as to.the relevance of the August 2014 article in relation to the rumour the mirror have published

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think that reading between the lines of Richie Towells interview he is expecting to be in the starting line up or ag least on the bench rather than initially be back up. We have nobody to play the role Texiera played and I see him as that man. I feel that CH is a man who plays each team according to the opposition and there will be times when he feels we need a tighter formation. As regards back up we have Van La Parre on loan at the moment and who knews the future plus Lua Lua on the road to recovery so the wide back up is there. We have plenty for midfield so I do not see Towell as a signing as back up.

I bow to your superior knowledge of Chris and how he thinks BG and will let him know next week when I see him that Richie Towell and yourself will be making the team selections between you from now on ??

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I was just reading the Towell interview on the official.site and.to me it comes across that he.is well aware it will be a challenge to get into the side at the moment, certainly not as BG seems to suggest.that he expects he.can just turn up and be an automatic choice

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I bow to your superior knowledge of Chris and how he thinks BG and will let him know next week when I see him that Richie Towell and yourself will be making the team selections between you from now on ??

How do you know CH? And (looking at your join date) is it fair to say you follow CH not Brighton? Genuine questions.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
How do you know CH? And (looking at your join date) is it fair to say you follow CH not Brighton? Genuine questions.

They are not mutually exclusive. I have known him for years and I like to see him be sucessful as he is a really nice guy............. I don't go to a lot of Brighton matches in the course of a season as I go to watch many different sides, through the course of my work

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I am not for one minute saying I am right but it is the impression I get. Before signing didnt Towell say he wanted to go to a club and play not be a reserve so obviously he is confident he will make the 1st XI. Like nearly all on here we think we could pick a better team than CH thats why he is paid to do it and we post on NSC:)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I am not for one minute saying I am right but it is the impression I get. Before signing didnt Towell say he wanted to go to a club and play not be a reserve so obviously he is confident he will make the 1st XI. Like nearly all on here we think we could pick a better team than CH thats why he is paid to do it and we post on NSC:)

Just an aside really but Towell is a central midfielder not a winger so no direct correlation. Playing him "instead" of March assumes a change in tactics/formation. Doesn't impact on whether we might get a bid or two or how we might react of course.
It would be a surprise if there wasnt interest in a number of our squad and an even bigger one if any of our key players were allowed to leave IMO

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think that reading between the lines of Richie Towells interview he is expecting to be in the starting line up or ag least on the bench rather than initially be back up. We have nobody to play the role Texiera played and I see him as that man.

So, we sign a CENTRE MIDFIELDER, who has been highly succesful in that position, and despite having never once watched him play, you 'see him' as a No.10 playing off a central striker?

Amazing insight. We are lucky to have you, BG.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have said I can see the logic in playing somebody in the role Tex played last season but to do so would mean losing 1 wide man. He appears to be a very forward minded central midfielder more so than Kayal Stephens and Crofts as none of them woukd get near 20 goals so to be just behind the 2 strikers wouldnt be much of a change for him if any.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
So, we sign a CENTRE MIDFIELDER, who has been highly succesful in that position, and despite having never once watched him play, you 'see him' as a No.10 playing off a central striker?

Amazing insight. We are lucky to have you, BG.

I thought he had been playing the No. 10 position? His goal record certainly suggests so.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am not for one minute saying I am right but it is the impression I get. Before signing didnt Towell say he wanted to go to a club and play not be a reserve so obviously he is confident he will make the 1st XI.
Yes, he did say that - I read that interview too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can somebody put me right isnt NSC a forum for people to express a view and others to agree or not and possibly put forward other arguments. If I was 100% correct I would have CH job as would others it is only an individuals opinion.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Can somebody put me right isnt NSC a forum for people to express a view and others to agree or not and possibly put forward other arguments. If I was 100% correct I would have CH job as would others it is only an individuals opinion.

48,000 posts....holy moly thats a lot of opinion ! ;-)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Solly March looks like being the sort of player that could make the difference between play-offs and automatic promotion. The Albion would be mad to sell him in the middle of a season like this. That said, if we do miss out then he'd probably have to be sold to finance the rebuild over the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here