Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton plan £7.5m raid on Brighton for Solly March

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Can somebody put me right isnt NSC a forum for people to express a view and others to agree or not and possibly put forward other arguments. If I was 100% correct I would have CH job as would others it is only an individuals opinion.

BG - You post as much as you like Sir. Your voice and opinion is as valid as anyone else's on here. You do talk a lot of shite sometimes but your opinions are as good as anyone else's.

All I said in your response to your claim that Richie Towell will be almost certain to be playing because he was brought in by Chris with a plan in mind was - No he wasn't. He is here on the same ticket as everyone else and he won't be in the team until he shows in training that he has what it takes to be in the team.

The exception to my last statement is obviously. James Wilson. He was brought in directly to play because our strikers have been failing and we have injuries in that department. Everyone else has had to wait for their chance. Even Jamie Murpphy did't start when he forst came in until he proved himself in training and on matchdays when he got his chance

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Simple question if Richie Towell was brought in with no plan for the future why sign him? We are not short of midfielders. I accept that he wont be picked for the FA Cup game without proving himself in training but I cannot accept that CH had no forward plan envisaged for him.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Simple question if Richie Towell was brought in with no plan for the future why sign him? We are not short of midfielders. I accept that he wont be picked for the FA Cup game without proving himself in training but I cannot accept that CH had no forward plan envisaged for him.

You could say the same of Jack Harper, Elvis Manu, Hambo, Goldson. Menpaa, Rosenior (he is not first choice either when everyone is fit either). Also Uwe the German and even Murphy to a lesser extent. All of them need to be consistent and do well in training or they won't play.

From that lot, Elvis Manu was playing Champions League Football last year - Now look at him, he hasn't started a game all season and we are almost half way through it

A good manager builds a squad of players BG, not just a team of players

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I
You could say the same of Jack Harper, Elvis Manu, Hambo, Goldson. Menpaa, Rosenior (he is not first choice either when everyone is fit either). Also Uwe the German and even Murphy to a lesser extent. All of them need to be consistent and do well in training or they won't play.

From that lot, Elvis Manu was playing Champions League Football last year - Now look at him, he hasn't started a game all season and we are almost half way through it

The Manu development has worried me somewhat to be honest. This question is for everyone though....... How good is the Dutch 1st division. I don't follow it so is it just a few good teams and the rest are crap or what. I genuinely want to know how good was Elvis last season. I'm not knocking the transfer btw...........not yet anyway.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I agree but they wouldnt have all signed had they been told they were going to be squad players. They must have all thought they will make the first team and not to help the U21s win their league. The same with Richie Towell he had many options apparently and had he thought he was signing to be just a squad player, do you think he would have signed for us?

I have no idea how tthe deal was sold to him or what his priorities were and can only base this on what I think I would want if in his position.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The way he has developed recently,...I think £15m is about right for a young English player .....Southampton need to look at the figures they got for Walcott, Chamber pot and Bale.......

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I agree but they wouldnt have all signed had they been told they were going to be squad players. They must have all thought they will make the first team and not to help the U21s win their league. The same with Richie Towell he had many options apparently and had he thought he was signing to be just a squad player, do you think he would have signed for us?

I have no idea how tthe deal was sold to him or what his priorities were and can only base this on what I think I would want if in his position.

I hope Towell proves himself, and that he can make his way into the first team squad. But it is ridiculous to say that he would expect to be in the team straight away - a team that is several levels above where he has ever played, and top of that league.

Your assertion that he signed on the basis that he wants first team football is absurd. Name me ONE player who would not state this. Every player who moves club will say that he hopes to be in the first team at his new club - but he will be under no illusions that he will go straight into the first team squad.

You ask why he would sign if this was not the case. Well it's obvious - he has been playing for Dundalk in the Irish League, and a comparitively huge club has expressed an interest in him - told him that he has a chance of making the grade. He HAS to give it a go. Would you expect him to settle for first team football at Dundalk when he has a chance of being coached and developed, a chance of proving that he has what it takes at a higher level?

He has been signed for the Development squad. Like so many others before him. Let's hope that he can show that he has what it takes to progress further.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What at 24 years old with a host of other clubs trying to sign him Yer OK.

And all of them would have spotted his potential. But how can you think that he has proved himself? He may be 24 but he has never played at a level anything like that aty which we are playing.

If he makes it, great. We are a fantastic opportunity for him. But he will know that he is at the back of a long queue until he proves that he is worth more.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This.

And for what it's worth, I don't think the club would sell March at that price. I genuinely think they'd want more for an England U21 player who is beginning to look like one the best players in an unbeaten Championship leading side.

But if he does go, it will be for £9m plus add-ons I'm guessing.

Agreed. The days of us being a place to get a bargain are long gone

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What at 24 years old with a host of other clubs trying to sign him Yer OK.

As was reported in the Argus with the loan rules changing, clubs like the Albion and other big Championship clubs will stockpile young talent to bolster their squad numbers relatively cheaply. He will start like Harper in the Development squad but if he shines his chance will come.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

If players want to be in the first team, they have to show that they're better than those who are already there. On the flip side, part of the job of squad players is to push hard so that those in the first team don't get complacent. Don Revie always used to say that his best reserves would walk into most other first division teams but that by staying at Leeds they made his stars play better.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Just an observation from The Sun on Tuesday, Brighton have agreed to sign Dundalk forward Richie Towell. They have also got it wrong it seems.

I will get the position cleared up for you on Monday BG as to what position he plays

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
As was reported in the Argus with the loan rules changing, clubs like the Albion and other big Championship clubs will stockpile young talent to bolster their squad numbers relatively cheaply. He will start like Harper in the Development squad but if he shines his chance will come.

He is 24, no doubt he will get the odd game like Holla and a few other First teamers, but he certainly isnt a DS player, he has been signed for the first team and will be training and when ready in first team matchday squads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here