Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton fans arrested for 'homophobic' chanting.....

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Well I never.......

BBC News - Southampton fans on homophobic chant charges

Two Southampton fans have been accused of homophobic chanting at St Mary's Stadium during Saturday's Championship game against Brighton and Hove Albion.

A Southampton man, 28, and a man from Romsey, 26, were charged under section 5 of the Public Order Act, relating to homophobic abuse.

A man, 38, from London, was charged under section 5 of the Public Order Act, relating to abusive behaviour.

All three were bailed to appear before Southampton magistrates on 2 December.

They all have bail conditions preventing them from attending any football matches.

A 27-year-old man from Hove in East Sussex received a caution after being arrested for throwing a bottle.

A Hampshire Constabulary spokeswoman said: "There were some small pockets of fighting amongst the rival fans as they left the ground after the game in Northam Road, but these were quickly dispersed by officers and no further arrests were necessary."

SaintsFTW

Nov 22, 2010
Well done hope you lot are happy.
You'll start to get a reputation if people get arrested at every away game you go to now for banter.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
You'll start to get a reputation if people get arrested at every away game you go to now for banter.

There's a huge difference between taking the piss out of somebodys sexuality and banter, obviously it wasn't a good idea because it resulted in violence.

Eh? It's illegal you twat. It's a hate crime. The police made it clear that they would have zero tolerance on it and a few bigots still weren't smart enough to figure it out.

Re-wind 20 odd years ago when people were starting to get arrested for racial hate and there were fuckwits like you moaning about it all just being banter then. Would you chant racially motivated chants at Bradford? If not, why not? If the police carry on arresting people for bigotry then even neanderthals like you might just be dragged kicking and screaming in to the 21st Century.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Er, you'll see the article talks about pockets of fighting. One would assume it involved a bit more then 'banter'.

Hardly a shining indictment of your owns fans.

SaintsFTW

Nov 22, 2010
Yes clearly it's our fault they got arrested not their own. Good point.

The police wouldn't have been looking to arrest fans if yours hadn't complained about it in the first place.

pot noodles - hate crime bahaha yeh ok.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

It's brilliant isn't it?!!! We might of lost the match, but you lost by 2 fans nicked to our 1!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
12.8 Section 5 - Conduct likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress

This is by far the most commonly used piece of legislation on demos, and the one with which activists will be most familiar. A person is guilty of this offence if he

a) uses threatening, abusive words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,
within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.

Notes on Section 5
The police will often warn you under Section 5 simply as a preventive power to control behaviour on a demo and they often have no intention of following it through with an arrest, especially where no threatening behaviour has been used.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
This makes up for the defeat :moo:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Er, can you tell me exactly what I did wrong? Idiot.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The police wouldn't have been looking to arrest fans if yours hadn't complained about it in the first place.

pot noodles - hate crime bahaha yeh ok.

Personaly the gay insults etc don't bother me but if the Police are becoming aware of it and want to do soemthing about it and your fans are chanting that shit then I think our fans are pretty far down on the list of people to blame really old bean.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Pretty sure all of your fans were warned about this by your local police force prior to the game, so how you can blame us for some of your fans' behaviour is beyond me, please do elaborate on just how we got some of your lot arrested

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
C**k in mouth gestures in front of children, I take that's OK is it? I witnessed plenty of that from your fans, you really are in the dark ages down there are'nt you.....

Sorry can you define 'banter' for me, I think we may have a difference if opinions!
I fear it's because you lot are living in the 1970's, here in 21st century it is a criminal offense.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
1970's I'd say 1950's from some of Hampshires finest I saw on saturday, seems the further West you go the less tolerant you become

Sorry can you define 'banter' for me, I think we may have a difference if opinions!
I fear it's because you lot are living in the 1970's, here in 21st century it is a criminal offense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here