Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sorry to get political but.......

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You seem to be implying that patients with long term illnesses are not getting the necessary drugs because of NHS cash restraints. My view is that the costs of new treatments has often been set deliberately and unnecessarily high in the UK and that is why many of these drugs, whether experimental or not, are not readily available on the NHS. The pharmaceutical industry has, until recently, been generally unwilling to accept that drug cost has any relevance in what should be provided and never (imo) engaged in any meaningful discussion with the DoH on this, particularly involving any cost vs clinical outcome measurement. That's why NICE, for all its shortcomings, was set up.
yes thats exactly what i was implying, but i cant see where i have given the impression that the drug companies should be given a blank cheque.

yes thats exactly what i was implying, but i cant see where i have given the impression that the drug companies should be given a blank cheque.

OK so you're implying that the NHS drug budget is inadequate and more money should be re-directed from elsewhere within HMG. Constantly pumping in money is not the way, the ABPI will see this as a Christmas present and there will then be no need for them to change their approach to the drug pricing/clinical benefit issue.

gts big bruv

Apr 15, 2004
Tavistock
Not fair? So this single mum - what do you know of her? Was she working before? Is she going to go back to work sometime in the future? How much tax has she paid? Is she able to work? What's her flat like? Bet it ain't palatial.

This asylum seeker - what's his story? Should we senf him back rather than fund ANY of his being over here. You're aware that asylum seekers have very little opportunity to work don't you? There's huge restrictions on them trying to get employed. Should we also take away his sofa? His bed? Should we send him home?

You may well be right Harty but to try and start a debate like this based on such emotive language and little facts as you've got at your fingertips is the kind of thing that's best left to the Sun newspaper.

And do you know any different ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Who will be the first person on the phone in tomorrow to ask for a price for 10 square metres of Axminster?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
how very noble , i wonder how you'd feel if you or a member of your family were denied lifesaving/prolonging cancer drugs due to lack of funds , just as long as our " asylum seekers" are well cared for eh ?

Its a question of balance really..............

Maybe a quality laminate if only having palliative care,
but a cheaper foam back from Allied if you are having the full works with radiation/chemopherapy .

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Is this what we've come to?
My mate owns a local carpet firm and he went out on three separate quotes the other day.

The first was a pensioner who wanted her front room carpeted and was on a budget, the second was a single mother in her early 20's who had been given a grant of £100 by the DSS and the third was a very pleasant young man from Africa, who just wanted a price to have his flat carpeted.
My mate gave him a written quote of a competitive price at which he returned a couple of days later with the full amount made out in a cheque by the 'West Sussex County Council Asylum Seekers Fund'

Don't get me wrong I'm not a snob or a racist but it appears the only one whose worked all her life, IE the pensioner, is the only one paying her way.

Sorry times.............

For a start Harty, you are telling a porky when you say that you are sorry to be political. You love stirring the shit, and positively thrive on the reaction that it gives off. Just shows how wrong one can be though - I wouldn't have thought that you were a Daily Malice reader.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For a start Harty, you are telling a porky when you say that you are sorry to be political. You love stirring the shit, and positively thrive on the reaction that it gives off. Just shows how wrong one can be though - I wouldn't have thought that you were a Daily Malice reader.

I think my biggest disappointment is that the BBC employs people like Harty. I expect higher standards of intellect from a public service broadcaster.

I stopped listening to the phone-in years ago as to be blunt it is boring.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
What I really, really would like to see my tax spent on is huge bonuses for desperate bankers who have lost everything over the last few months.Not that I am being political, like.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
NAILed on, as they certainly are TACKy.
They're past the THRESHOLD of decency, but people keep PILEing them on.
I doubt he'd be UN-DuR-LAY bothered by it, though I expect he's thinking "'if-FOAM-ly they'd ROLL out some better ones.

You've crossed the lino there son.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here