Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sorry to get political but.......

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The issue is perfectly clear in my mind. People in dire circumstances needing help are just that, wherever they come from.
how very noble , i wonder how you'd feel if you or a member of your family were denied lifesaving/prolonging cancer drugs due to lack of funds , just as long as our " asylum seekers" are well cared for eh ?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
how very noble , i wonder how you'd feel if you or a member of your family were denied lifesaving/prolonging cancer drugs due to lack of funds , just as long as our " asylum seekers" are well cared for eh ?
That isn't going to happen though is it... completely different budgets. Therefore mutually exclusive.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
what a ridiculous argument, the NHS budget could be bigger if there wasnt such a big asylum seeker budget, not too difficult to comprehend.

Do you know how big it is? And how big is it in relation tot he NHS budget?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
i dont care, i know what you're trying to say , and you're entitled to your views, it just goes totally against the grain with me to spend ANYTHING on asylum seekers when our own are going without due to monetary constraints.

I understand that and you are entitled to your views too.... think I was more unsure of your example... I suppose there are more pertinent examples you could have used.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Also, with so much to pay for in the NHS, there's no gaurantee that an increased NHS budget will actually filter down to cancer drugs.
such as ? things like the 350 flat screen monitors that my sister in laws department ordered to replace the perfectly serviceable current monitors, because flat screen monitors were " more in keeping with a modern NHS" ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
such as ? things like the 350 flat screen monitors that my sister in laws department ordered to replace the perfectly serviceable current monitors, because flat screen monitors were " more in keeping with a modern NHS" ?

Look, I'm not saying they are spending it all on good things. They waste money on some things, red tape, those TVs you mention, face lifts (of the hospitals, not cosmetic surgery, though they probably do that too), consultants.

There are programmes to fund, such as the quitting smoking support, and programmes designed to fight obesity (which should help long term)

But there are also many other illnesses to deal with. For example the number one killer is not cancer, it is heart disease; due to society getting fatter there are lots more people with diabetes. Organ failure treatment (dialysis etc) and transplants, infections (not just in people, but also in hospitals)...

Because of the weight increase, there is a need to spend on more sturdy equipment, there are non-cosmetic liposuction operations (the sort for 50+ stone people who will die without surgery).

This doesn't even start to cover it, the NHS also has to fund GPs, and dentists, and opticians, physiotherapists, nursing support to care homes with dementia sufferers, and we're still barely scratching the surface of where the budget goes.

Is it all wise? Maybe not. But that isn't my point. My point is that the NHS budget goes towards much much more than cancer drugs, and an increased budget due to no asylum seekers is not necessarily going to lead to an increase in money being there for cancer drugs.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Look, I'm not saying they are spending it all on good things. They waste money on some things, red tape, those TVs you mention, face lifts (of the hospitals, not cosmetic surgery, though they probably do that too), consultants.

There are programmes to fund, such as the quitting smoking support, and programmes designed to fight obesity (which should help long term)

But there are also many other illnesses to deal with. For example the number one killer is not cancer, it is heart disease; due to society getting fatter there are lots more people with diabetes. Organ failure treatment (dialysis etc) and transplants, infections (not just in people, but also in hospitals)...

Because of the weight increase, there is a need to spend on more sturdy equipment, there are non-cosmetic liposuction operations (the sort for 50+ stone people who will die without surgery).

This doesn't even start to cover it, the NHS also has to fund GPs, and dentists, and opticians, physiotherapists, nursing support to care homes with dementia sufferers, and we're still barely scratching the surface of where the budget goes.

Is it all wise? Maybe not. But that isn't my point. My point is that the NHS budget goes towards much much more than cancer drugs, and an increased budget due to no asylum seekers is not necessarily going to lead to an increase in money being there for cancer drugs.
cancer drugs was just a analogy, i couldve said alzheimers drugs , or anything tbh.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
This thread seems to have degenerated in to a nit picking festival. Luckily the chief nit seems to be busy cleaning his establishment's toilets.

no , what gives you that impression ?

You seem to be implying that patients with long term illnesses are not getting the necessary drugs because of NHS cash restraints. My view is that the costs of new treatments has often been set deliberately and unnecessarily high in the UK and that is why many of these drugs, whether experimental or not, are not readily available on the NHS. The pharmaceutical industry has, until recently, been generally unwilling to accept that drug cost has any relevance in what should be provided and never (imo) engaged in any meaningful discussion with the DoH on this, particularly involving any cost vs clinical outcome measurement. That's why NICE, for all its shortcomings, was set up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here