Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sorry to get political but.......

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Is this what we've come to?
My mate owns a local carpet firm and he went out on three seperate quotes the other day.

The first was a pensioner who wanted her front room carpeted and was on a budget, the second was a single mother in her early 20's who had been given a grant of £100 by the DSS and the third was a very pleasant young man from Africa, who just wanted a price to have his flat carpeted.
My mate gave him a written quote of a competitive price at which he returned a couple of days later with the full amount made out in a cheque by the 'West Sussex County Council Asylum Seekers Fund'

Don't get me wrong I'm not a snob or a racist but it appears the only one whose worked all her life, ie the pensioner, is the only one paying her way.

Sorry times.............

Last edited:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Similer theme.

My Nan was born in Eastbourne and lived there for 30years. Moved around abit and then decided to moved to Eastbourne to see out her life. Aparently she has no conection with eatbourne and has no rights for ANY assistance for rent.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When you say is this what we've come to. do you mean basing your political views especially regarding benefits given to those who are bringing up children and the granting of asylum and financial support to those seeking asylum on a conversation held with a mate who's just taken a few quotes for laying carpets?

If so, then yes. It's all a bit crap really.

Great thread by the way.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
My mate owns a local carpet firm and he went out on three sperate quotes the other day.

The first was a pensioner who wanted her front room carpeted and was on a budget, the second was a single mother in her early 20's who had been given a grant of £100 by the DSS and the third was a very pleasant young man from Africa, who just wanted a price to have his flat carpeted.
My mate gave him a written quote of a competitive price at which he returned a couple of days later with the full amount made out in a cheque by the 'West Sussex County Council Asylum Seekers Fund'

Don't get me wrong I'm not a snob or a racist but it appears the only one whose worked all her life, ie the pensioner, is the only one paying her way.

Sorry times.............

Got her number??!! :kiss:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
It seems that any Tom, Dick or Abdul that lands on our shores claiming to be an asylum seeker gets welcomed in with a detached house for him, his wife and 8 kids, where they get council tax benefit, job seekers allowance and any other benefit/allowance going whereas the poor sods born and bred here have to scrimp, save and work for every penny.

Just the impression I get, like!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Similer theme.

My Nan was born in Eastbourne and lived there for 30years. Moved around abit and then decided to moved to Eastbourne to see out her life. Aparently she has no conection with eatbourne and has no rights for ANY assistance for rent.

if she sent back the rent review form with similar spelling to your post they probably thought she was Croatian!! :laugh:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
When you say is this what we've come to. do you mean basing your political views especially regarding benefits given to those who are bringing up children and the granting of asylum and financial support to those seeking asylum on a conversation held with a mate who's just taken a few quotes for laying carpets?

If so, then yes. It's all a bit crap really.

Great thread by the way.

But your missing the point Buzzer three people had carpets but only one person actually paid for it, yours and my taxes paid for the others.

Not really fair whichever way you look at it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But your missing the point Buzzer three people had carpets but only one person actually paid for it, yours and my taxes paid for the others.

Not really fair whichever way you look at it.

Not fair? So this single mum - what do you know of her? Was she working before? Is she going to go back to work sometime in the future? How much tax has she paid? Is she able to work? What's her flat like? Bet it ain't palatial.

This asylum seeker - what's his story? Should we senf him back rather than fund ANY of his being over here. You're aware that asylum seekers have very little opportunity to work don't you? There's huge restrictions on them trying to get employed. Should we also take away his sofa? His bed? Should we send him home?

You may well be right Harty but to try and start a debate like this based on such emotive language and little facts as you've got at your fingertips is the kind of thing that's best left to the Sun newspaper.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Well, to a point I agree with you. However, it tends to be people in full time employment that make these kind of comments! I've worked and paid tax for 20 years, but in the last 3 months since I've been unemployed, I've taken all the help I can benefit wise, and tbh, I'm getting quite a lot. I added it up recently and without disclosing the figure, it's full time wages for a fair majority of workers!

I appreciate that when you do work hard, and pay large sums of tax, it can seem galling to hear of other people getting financial assistance from Welfare. But one day, you may find yourself in the same boat, and if it is on offer you're gonna take it for sure!

<goes off to find out where I can get a carpet allowance from>

Having been involved (in a very minor way) in the provision of services to refugees from East Africa who have been flown into the UK with government sponsorship, all I will say is that there are some real horror stories that lie behind some of the resettlement programmes.

Don't assume that the refugees who are getting support through the local authorities in Sussex are feckless scroungers who've blagged their way into the country illegally.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Having been involved (in a very minor way) in the provision of services to refugees from East Africa who have been flown into the UK with government sponsorship, all I will say is that there are some real horror stories that lie behind some of the resettlement programmes.

Don't assume that the refugees who are getting support through the local authorities in Sussex are feckless scroungers who've blagged their way into the country illegally.

Yes. But me for example. I live here becuase there is no way for me to offored to live in the UK let alone Brighton. Would i get this sort of help? Maybe help with rent. I worked in Currys and i serverd people who had the whole works bought for them. Cookers, fridge etc.

I know the storys are sad. And i apresiate that asylem seekers are that, seeking asylem due to persicution. But (in a non BNP sort of way) what about BRITISH born people. That includes white/black/chinese/Indian people.

I can see why we except people into our country. But do they really need every thing bought for them?

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My mate owns a local carpet firm and he went out on three seperate quotes the other day.

Sorry times.............

Sorry Harty but I don't believe that actually happened. Sounds like complete bollocks on many levels.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Look on the net before you go to Redhill, resettlement allowance? what about removing expenses to find a new job:lolol:

:lol:

All joking aside, I have just looked on the direct.gov website. It doesn't mention grants for carpet etc, but it does mention loans that are available to low income claimants to be used for purchase of furniture etc. Repayments are made direct from benefits.

It may be that the single mothier isn't actually getting her carpet paid for by the state, she is only being loaned the money. This loan would also be available to the pensioner if she was on low income too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here