Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
A few years back we lost a fan at a young age,having such a small fanbase the lad was known to many.A few of his mates had t shirts printed in his memory .At an away game at Burton 1 of the t shirts got in to the hands of the players .We scored in front of the away end and the players produced the said t shirt from the bench and held it aloft in front of the away end ,which was a touching tribute.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In practice it seems a good idea, however what if the ref had to send one of the players off. Also a lot of clubs up and down the country have personal losses that involve the club, so potentially you could have players playing with different names on their shirts most weeks and where do you draw the line? Black armbands and a minutes silence are happening tonight and I have no doubt the club will arrange something for the next home game. Maybe the players could wear the names under their shirts and lift them up when they score.

I really think the referee would cope. They did book people long before players names were on the backs of shirts. Our players are capable of saying their own name, and he'd be aware in any case. I have a vague recollection of different names being on a team's shirt recently so think there is a precedent, although perhaps that was only in the warm-up - which is another option.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I actually emailed Mr Barber after I heard he had visited the grieving relatives. I was really touched that he had done that so soon, so thought he deserved a compliment. Nice reply too.

Same here.

I have to say, the dealings I've had with Paul Barber, he has always been the same ... a credit to the club, and someone I'm proud to have at the helm of our club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[tweet]636137161662836736[/tweet]

[tweet]636137332505223168[/tweet]

[tweet]636139139805630464[/tweet]

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Air show crash

I really think the referee would cope. They did book people long before players names were on the backs of shirts. Our players are capable of saying their own name, and he'd be aware in any case. I have a vague recollection of different names being on a team's shirt recently so think there is a precedent, although perhaps that was only in the warm-up - which is another option.

Its not about the ref, it's about giving a player the responsibility of wearing that shirt. If said player gets sent off in the first ten minutes or injured and has to go off, how do you think people will react? Like I said in principle it sounds good, but where do you draw the line?there are still people to be named and could yet turn out to have connections to the club, and it could be sometime before they are named. I would like the club to honour all those that have lost their life's as this has happened in the community around the club.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Its not about the ref, it's about giving a player the responsibility of wearing that shirt. If said player gets sent off in the first ten minutes or injured and has to go off, how do you think people will react? Like I said in principle it sounds good, but where do you draw the line?

I appreciate what you're saying but I wouldn't think anyone would bat an eyelid personally. They would understand the sentiment behind the gesture of wearing the shirt. As for drawing the line, I think most clubs could understand the difference between an unprecedented Sussex tragedy of national significance like this and the normal course of events. But there you go. Just a suggestion. If it were my place to do so, I would ask the question of the FA/League regardless of regulations as the circumstances are clearly exceptional. As part of the 'football family' that they're so keen to promote, it would not seem an unreasonable approach and 'don't ask, don't get' tends to be my view on things. I'm sure whatever the club does will be respectful and appropriate in any case.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Work day for me :(
9759e7b41a2dd29ec3e4c91aa45a293b.jpg

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Worthing FC are at home tonight so guess there will be a minutes silence there too. With it being so local that will be a pretty emotional match.

I realise it would be difficult to arrange , but an Albion 11 v Worthing 11 game as a memorial to all who lost their lives at Shoreham on Saturday. It would be a way we could show our support and respect, with all proceeds going towards the families of those affected..

Whether it be at Worthing or the Amex, it is something I would very much like to attend.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I realise it would be difficult to arrange , but an Albion 11 v Worthing 11 game as a memorial to all who lost their lives at Shoreham on Saturday. It would be a way we could show our support and respect, with all proceeds going towards the families of those affected..

Whether it be at Worthing or the Amex, it is something I would very much like to attend.

Far too soon, we don't even know most of those who perished yet.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The out pour of support and respect shown from the whole of England but in particular the football community really does make me feel proud to be a part of such a big family..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The out pour of support and respect shown from the whole of England but in particular the football community really does make me feel proud to be a part of such a big family..

Agreed.
And then you get the flipside - some of the ghoulish accounts of witnesses who were there (which I will not reproduce here), which are splashed across some of the papers. These people are utterly, utterly sickening.

Something like this really does bring out the best, and worst in some people.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The family of a chauffeur killed in the crash as he drove to collect a bride-to-be have paid tribute to the “well-respected and loved father and husband”.

The 76-year-old, from Brighton, served with the Grenadier Guards and Parachute Regiment worked for the UN in Cyprus and Bahrain. He also served as a police officer with Hampshire Police.

Another tragic loss of life, cruel in its sheer stupid randomness. The wedding car aspect just turns the knife. And one further footnote (apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere, I've not seen it) that adds to the sense of 'we are a small community': the couple who the bride-to-be car was intended for, and who were unaware of the circumstances until their wedding ceremony was under way, were Raj and his missus Rebecca, a lovely couple who until a few months back ran the newsagents shop at the bottom of Preston Drove. So very sad.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Agreed.
And then you get the flipside - some of the ghoulish accounts of witnesses who were there (which I will not reproduce here), which are splashed across some of the papers. These people are utterly, utterly sickening.

Something like this really does bring out the best, and worst in some people.

While admittedly I haven't read those accounts, I only agree with this to an extent. I think some people would talk about this to newspapers and the media if approached, without fully realising how it can then come across in print. Words written down and perhaps given a bit of 'spin' to highlight the most dramatic aspects may seem very different to what were actually just responses to questions they'd been asked. Obviously if there's any monetary gain or ulterior motive like that, then no time for them whatsoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here