Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
In times of adversity is when you find out who the strong people are. This last year has seen a lot of sad news around the club with loyal supporters and now staff as well impacted. They've handled themselves superbly and by calmly showing their respects and making their facilities available they have demonstrated that real community ethos.

Makes losing a few football matches seem such a small thing. But as others have said, even that side is now being handled in a more calm, dignified manner too

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm not sure if it's been suggested but I think it would be a great touch if the club could ask the Football League for permission for our keeper to have Grimstone as the name on his shirt and Schilt on one of the outfield players at the Hull game. If the families approve, of course.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
I'm not sure if it's been suggested but I think it would be a great touch if the club could ask the Football League for permission for our keeper to have Grimstone as the name on his shirt and Schilt on one of the outfield players at the Hull game. If the families approve, of course.
Lovely idea

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Best not turn this thread into a binfest about Paul Barber's faults or qualities.

theboybilly

That really would be something special. A great idea

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Air show crash

In practice it seems a good idea, however what if the ref had to send one of the players off. Also a lot of clubs up and down the country have personal losses that involve the club, so potentially you could have players playing with different names on their shirts most weeks and where do you draw the line? Black armbands and a minutes silence are happening tonight and I have no doubt the club will arrange something for the next home game. Maybe the players could wear the names under their shirts and lift them up when they score.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
May have been mentioned but I see CPFC are giving a minutes silence to remember victims v Shrewsbury this eve, nice touch from them.

ALL Capital One cup games tonight will have a minutes silence. FL made the statement yesterday

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
May have been mentioned but I see CPFC are giving a minutes silence to remember victims v Shrewsbury this eve, nice touch from them.

Not just Palace - it's all Capital One Cup games - although with the REMF connection they possibly would have done it anyway.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In practice it seems a good idea, however what if the ref had to send one of the players off. Also a lot of clubs up and down the country have personal losses that involve the club, so potentially you could have players playing with different names on their shirts most weeks and where do you draw the line? Black armbands and a minutes silence are happening tonight and I have no doubt the club will arrange something for the next home game. Maybe the players could wear the names under their shirts and lift them up when they score.

Have to agree with this. A relative or ours is closely involved with Rushden and Diamonds and they lost a young player and out of respect, they wanted to retire the No.1 shirt. FA refused to sanction it but after a long battle they eventually relented. Black armbands and a minutes silence are, in my view, the traditional and best way to honour them.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The way the club have handled this tragedy has been immense. But it's not just that. There are so many things about the Albion lately that deserve a huge amount of credit. The community work they do: they were talking about receiving a grant this week which will enable them to set up teams for visually impaired & hearing impaired people, as well as those with other disabilities. The thread from T Soprano about how they treated his Dad at what's sadly likely to be his last ever football match. The stuff they do to engage kids and families at matches and further afield. The tributes they've paid to the likes of Sarah Watts, Don Lock, Tony Langridge and more.

And, in an ultimately more shallow but equally as satisfying fashion, the way they've handled themselves in respect of on-field matters too, at last. The transfer dealings this summer have been far, far better than the previous season. Tonight's news about Dunk is just the icing on the cake.

Who knows what lies ahead, or when the on-pitch bubble might burst. In playing terms, it's very, very early days But right now, looking at the bigger picture, I'm about as proud as I've ever been to be an Albion fan.

100% this.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
ALL Capital One cup games tonight will have a minutes silence. FL made the statement yesterday

Worthing FC are at home tonight so guess there will be a minutes silence there too. With it being so local that will be a pretty emotional match.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We started out from Somerset on Saturday morning intending to arrive in time to run our dogs up at Devils Dyke before parking up at the uni as usual. We normally get there around 1.30.
We intended cutting across country via Salisbury then M27/A27 but there was a minor shunt on the M5 southbound when we set out so elected instead to go north and then M4/M25/M23. We were cursing when the M25 proved to be a day trippers' car park and our normal 3-4 hour trip turned into a near 6 hour nightmare but then we heard the news.
Don't think I've ever felt so fortunate.
When we finally arrived some of the stewards who had seen and heard events unfold via the training ground CCTV feed were visibly shaken. They clearly had a greater indication of the extent of the tragedy speaking of 2 cyclists and at least 4 cars being involved.
As events have unfolded the conduct of the club has been admirable, reflecting the community response in the area of our training ground. It says something of the power of football that I was stopped countless times yesterday as I had my bhafc shirt on, by people wanting to comment on the tragedy which, I presume because two young local footballers were involved, they identified with our club. It's at times like this that you realise that we are a true community club both locally and within the greater football family. Tonight's minute's silence will be a time for especially poignant reflection. Fittingly we can be sure that whether at Walsall or at any of the other games up and down the country, it will be impeccably respected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here