Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
I rarely post on NSC and haven't really got anything to add to what has already been said. Thoughts with all the family and friends of the victims - a real tragedy

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Took the time to visit the Toll Bridge after work tonight ...and saw the many flowers and lovely tributes paid to those that have lost there lives..there is a palpable sense of sadness in my town of Shoreham...but also a gratitude for all the work our emergency services have and are doing along with all the other services/people involved in sorting out this tragedy

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I feel exactly the same and the second half of your first sentence there in particular I can certainly relate to. I also travelled through that route to the game, like many, between 1.10-1.15 so have been thinking about that a lot. It's hard not to. You and I have never met but as I am local and planning a visit to the Bridge in the next couple of days, if you want any company then just let me know. Appreciate though it may be something you want to do alone or with loved ones. The offer is there though.

Thanks for the offer, we are planning to go as a family on Thursday

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I shall be walking along to the bridge, probably tomorrow, depending on the weather. Tried to buy some flowers in Shoreham today but there were none.

Blimey.

I originally intended to do just that but some daft work issue got in the way, so decided to wait for another day. I did wonder about the availability of flowers, guess somewhere a little more distant might be stopped at en route tomorrow.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Blimey.

I originally intended to do just that but some daft work issue got in the way, so decided to wait for another day. I did wonder about the availability of flowers, guess somewhere a little more distant might be stopped at en route tomorrow.

Holmbush ..tescos/m&s were okay..some lovely tributes were there tonight

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
As you can see I started this thread not long after the tragic event occurred, I was at the airshow with my 11 year old son, my girlfriend, her 9 year old and 14 year old daughters, we all witnessed the impact from the show ground,and then the eerie silence from the crowds, then the crying and hysteria, the kids didn't sleep at all on Saturday night, the kids are still upset now and still can't sleep even though we've tried to shield them from the enormity of the tragedy. Our hearts go out to those that have lost their lives and the families of those affected, as residents of Shoreham and of Sussex and BHAFC supporters it is amazing how as a community everybody has pulled together and shown support for what was and is a very sad tragedy.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I have avoided this thread for fear of saying the wrong thing but it is wong I think for the authorites, after very little investigation to be suggesting it was probably 'pilot error' which I have heard said. The poor chap is not in a position to defend him self and nor is his family If that is eventually found to be the case can they not just put it down to an accident with no blame attached.

It's not the time to be making judgements. When that time comes, then it's only fair on the families to have the truth, doesn't matter how hard that is for some.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As you can see I started this thread not long after the tragic event occurred, I was at the airshow with my 11 year old son, my girlfriend, her 9 year old and 14 year old daughters, we all witnessed the impact from the show ground,and then the eerie silence from the crowds, then the crying and hysteria, the kids didn't sleep at all on Saturday night, the kids are still upset now and still can't sleep even though we've tried to shield them from the enormity of the tragedy. Our hearts go out to those that have lost their lives and the families of those affected, as residents of Shoreham and of Sussex and BHAFC supporters it is amazing how as a community everybody has pulled together and shown support for what was and is a very sad tragedy.

Jesus that's awful. The lady that lived next door to us for six years was there with her nine year old and five year old. I know you IRL (I'm Jason from Family), send me a Facebook IM if you need to talk or anything. Not sure if it's been on this thread or the other one but this evening I have been discussing a REMF memorial walk on Sat 12 Sept with people that knew Snoobs. May be cathartic or may be too much to cope with but I'm going.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Jesus that's awful. The lady that lived next door to us for six years was there with her nine year old and five year old. I know you IRL (I'm Jason from Family), send me a Facebook IM if you need to talk or anything. Not sure if it's been on this thread or the other one but I have been discussing a REMF memorial walk on Sat 12 Sept with people that knew Snoobs this evening. May be cathartic or may be too much to cope with but I'm going.

I will go on the walk as a sub for Mini since he is going to an open day at Norwich Uni and played in the last REMF game

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Jesus that's awful. The lady that lived next door to us for six years was there with her nine year old and five year old. I know you IRL (I'm Jason from Family), send me a Facebook IM if you need to talk or anything. Not sure if it's been on this thread or the other one but this evening I have been discussing a REMF memorial walk on Sat 12 Sept with people that knew Snoobs. May be cathartic or may be too much to cope with but I'm going.

Cheers JT, we've laid flowers at the bridge and will be putting candles down at the other bridge on saturday evening like somebody said, #together is such a simple expression that means so much !

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He could have phrased it better but how else can it be described if that is what you believe?

Or maybe the fact that the loop was not initiated over a built up area anyway! As for BensGrandad's comments, I haven't seen any authorities describe the pilot as he suggests. There will be so called experts plucked out by the media for their opinions but nobody with authority will be stupid enough to second guess an investigation.

This is a very sensitive subject but I don't think that precludes people from making comments as to the possible cause based on video evidence available, provided it is done with common sense. I can't speak for others but if it were a member of my family that had died, I would be grieving and looking for answers/reasons.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Or maybe the fact that the loop was not initiated over a built up area anyway! As for BensGrandad's comments, I haven't seen any authorities describe the pilot as he suggests. There will be so called experts plucked out by the media for their opinions but nobody with authority will be stupid enough to second guess an investigation.

This is a very sensitive subject but I don't think that precludes people from making comments as to the possible cause based on video evidence available, provided it is done with common sense. I can't speak for others but if it were a member of my family that had died, I would be grieving and looking for answers/reasons.

It was on a radio news not sure who said it but on the next one a chap who knows him well said he didnt think it would be pilot error as he was a very experienced pilot.
who had flown something like 20000 hours I think it was.

Just wish all speculation would be avoided until definite evidence is available.to protect everybody concerned.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It's not about where it was initiated, it is about where the most critical and extreme point of the maneuver was.

https://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1676/Rule 5 amended 1 April 2005a.pdf

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
And we nothing at all about that in this case, nothing at all so.........

We can all form an opinion, but I don't want to get into a debate about what we do or don't know. The guidlines are pretty clear though.

Rule 5 of the UK Rules of the Air 1996

(2) The low flying prohibitions

(a) An aircraft shall not be flown below such height as would enable it, in the event of a power unit failure, to make an emergency landing without causing danger to persons or property on the surface.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here