Votes: 73 59.8%
  • yes once

Votes: 23 18.9%

• Total voters

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Wow, what a thread. 90 percent are so pure they have never nicked anything. I am guessing most of you were prefects or wannabe prefects. Why do some people seemingly equate following all the rules as being morally superior as opposed to being creeping snivelling little tell tells. I have no problem with people taking from large corporations.

If you are lucky enough to walk past an open bank and do not take the bag of cash on the window sill, more fool you. If you walk past a residence and nick a wallet then you are out of order. IMHO

Now I know this being NSC, there will all sorts of scenarios that will now come up, but my point is, that society is structured in such a way that the ruling elite have all the laws on their side. They can screw you because that is how capitalism works. On another thread recently people where defending companies using small print to rip off customers because its legal. That I find morally repugnant and would not do. But if I had no money and either I or my family needed food, I would steal it.

This reads that you are a habitual opportunist thief and expect everyone else to be as well. Shame on you.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I was always brought up to respect others property regardless of whether its Mrs Miggins life savings or that of an 'evil' conglomerate! If it isn't yours you don't take it... If you find it you hand it in etc.

Its a sad reflection on society that people try and justify their views by reeling off some nonsense about it being Ok to steal from large companies because they believe their practices are a little suspect (misleading promotions etc). What utter tripe! Stealing from anyone is wrong, full stop!
I dont think many people are advocating stealing, I'm certainly not, they are just pointing out a lack of sympathy for corporations that they view as having ripped people off in their day to day activities , however its the authorities job to protect the public , not the public's right to gain recompense by stealing, what myself and other people are highlighting is the sneaky , snidey, tell tale outlook of the original, and other posters.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
I wonder how many of the posters on here, who seem pissed off with "big corporations" actually go and support their local grocers, and don't go to tescos, sainsburys etc....

None of you I bet!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Out of curiosity, why did you feel the need to tell the security? I know it's breaking the law blah blah but it didn't have nothing to do with you and wouldn't effect you whatsoever? If I saw someone doing it in likes of Waitrose, ASDA, Sainsbury's etc then it wouldn't bother me one jot, different if it was something like your local shop, that's when I'd expect people to say something.

Waitrose won't be losing out a shed load of money will they.. :shrug:
Bit deluded are'nt you....who do you think pays for the shoplifter....you do because they put the prices up to cover the losses....I'd have no problem reporting shoplifters.....pay like every one else does!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Have you ever done this? I saw some one in Waitrose today shop lifting and told the security guard. The man who was caught was unhappy with me for pointing out what he was doing.

My missus works in the town centre and their place has been lifted quite a few times, she's only been there 4 months as well. Full of thieving pikeys, it is.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I was always brought up to respect others property regardless of whether its Mrs Miggins life savings or that of an 'evil' conglomerate! If it isn't yours you don't take it... If you find it you hand it in etc.

Its a sad reflection on society that people try and justify their views by reeling off some nonsense about it being Ok to steal from large companies because they believe their practices are a little suspect (misleading promotions etc). What utter tripe! Stealing from anyone is wrong, full stop!

There practises are more than a little suspect. They are robbing people blind on a daily and hourly basis. This includes their customers and their suppliers. The villain in this piece works within the law.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I wonder how many of the posters on here, who seem pissed off with "big corporations" actually go and support their local grocers, and don't go to tescos, sainsburys etc....

None of you I bet!

This is because they hardly exsist any more because the big supermarkets have put them out of business.

If they do exsist they sell the fruit and veg that the supermarkets turn their nose up at.

However in answer to your question i buy as little as i can from the big supermarkets but it is nigh on impossible to get everything i need without lining their pockets. (except of course that i nick everything i have to get from them so it is all good :thumbsup:)

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
There practises are more than a little suspect. They are robbing people blind on a daily and hourly basis. This includes their customers and their suppliers. The villain in this piece works within the law.

Correct.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Out of curiosity, why did you feel the need to tell the security? I know it's breaking the law blah blah but it didn't have nothing to do with you and wouldn't effect you whatsoever? If I saw someone doing it in likes of Waitrose, ASDA, Sainsbury's etc then it wouldn't bother me one jot, different if it was something like your local shop, that's when I'd expect people to say something.

Waitrose won't be losing out a shed load of money will they.. :shrug:

Why on earth should I turn a blind eye to someone stealing, when I'm paying full price for my shopping?!

If more and more people decided to shoplift in supermarkets, the prices would keep rising...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People are really struggling to understand this aren't they.

Not one person has condoned stealing on this thread. Stealing is bad in any situation and personally I wouldn't do it, I nicked a few sweets when I was a kid but that's it.

If I saw someone being robbed I would help (and have done on a train once), if I saw someone burgling a house I would call the OB, If I saw someone nicking from a small shop then I would do something (not call the OB though) - all of these crimes have an immediate and indentifiable victim.

There is no victim in taking food from the supermarket, the "putting the prices up" argument is bullshit. I've seen the theory, but nobody can show me an actual mechanism that exists to link product prices to theft. It's buried under the umbrella of wastage, and they probably throw as much food in the bin through over ordering as they have stolen from stores. They charge as much as they can get away with while paying their supplier as little as possible, anyone that thinks shopping would cost less if theft were eradicated is living in cloud cuckoo land, their profit would just be a fraction of a % higher.

Some of you need to add some balance to your thinking, morality is not as simple as black and white, good and bad. Being vindictive towards someone that i've never met and potentially ruining their life for the sake of a tiny fraction of a days takings just doen't sit well with me. If they get caught by security or CCTV then more fool them, but I wouldn't want it on my conscience.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Not one person has condoned stealing on this thread. Stealing is bad in any situation and personally I wouldn't do it, I nicked a few sweets when I was a kid but that's it.

If I saw someone being robbed I would help (and have done on a train once), if I saw someone burgling a house I would call the OB, If I saw someone nicking from a small shop then I would do something (not call the OB though) - all of these crimes have an immediate and indentifiable victim.

There is no victim in taking food from the supermarket, the "putting the prices up" argument is bullshit. I've seen the theory, but nobody can show me an actual mechanism that exists to link product prices to theft. It's buried under the umbrella of wastage, and they probably throw as much food in the bin through over ordering as they have stolen from stores. They charge as much as they can get away with while paying their supplier as little as possible, anyone that thinks shopping would cost less if theft were eradicated is living in cloud cuckoo land, their profit would just be a fraction of a % higher.

Some of you need to add some balance to your thinking, morality is not as simple as black and white, good and bad. Being vindictive towards someone that i've never met and potentially ruining their life for the sake of a tiny fraction of a days takings just doen't sit well with me. If they get caught by security or CCTV then more fool them, but I wouldn't want it on my conscience.
Top post.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

:thumbsup:

Also, if all shoplifting was eradicated do you think that the supermarkets would drop the massive price increases of essentials they have inflicted on us? Bollox would they!

Also they employ thieves according to earlier figures posted on here the cost of shoplifting and stealing by employees was virtually neck and neck.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
This reads that you are a habitual opportunist thief and expect everyone else to be as well. Shame on you.

Thanks a lot. i presume that if were were living in your ideal culture where thieves have their hands cut off, I could have your tongue cut out for your libelous statement.

people who are making the point that theft puts up prices may have a point. However how many of these virtuous citizens can claim that nothing they do in there life affects anyone else in a negative way. Do you all attend and work for every minute that you are paid for? Ever printed out a personal email etc on the office printer. Stolen a few minutes on NSC. How about returned a library book late, or spent 2 minutes extra in a parking bay. The list is pretty much endless.

If anyione can categorically state that none of their actions have resulted in either extra costs, or reduced revenue for someone, then I will be amazed and suggest that person looks more in detail at their daily life, because, i reckon they are missing something.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks a lot. i presume that if were were living in your ideal culture where thieves have their hands cut off, I could have your tongue cut out for your libelous statement.

people who are making the point that theft puts up prices may have a point. However how many of these virtuous citizens can claim that nothing they do in there life affects anyone else in a negative way. Do you all attend and work for every minute that you are paid for? Ever printed out a personal email etc on the office printer. Stolen a few minutes on NSC. How about returned a library book late, or spent 2 minutes extra in a parking bay. The list is pretty much endless.

If anyione can categorically state that none of their actions have resulted in either extra costs, or reduced revenue for someone, then I will be amazed and suggest that person looks more in detail at their daily life, because, i reckon they are missing something.

I work every minute that I'm paid for as I work flexi time, I ask if I can print off a personal email and the other examples you give are not criminal offences.
Stealing is a criminal offence no matter how much you try to justify it.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

Great post Billy the Fish :thumbsup:

It's funny, I was just thinking along these very lines, but from the completely opposite perspective. Justifying stealing (which, let's be clear, is a criminal offence - unlike spending 10 minutes on NSC during working hours) by saying 'but the supermarkets act immorally so it's okay' is rubbish, IMHO, because the supermarket are just doing what any of us would do in the same situation (ever haggled over the price, or charged someone more than you absolutely needed to, either in your professional or personal life?). The supermarkets might be difficult buggers to do business with but unless you can point me in the direction of clearly illegal activities there's no way I'm going to support 'the little man' doing something which is clearly illegal.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I work every minute that I'm paid for as I work flexi time, I ask if I can print off a personal email and the other examples you give are not criminal offences.
Stealing is a criminal offence no matter how much you try to justify it.
Really ?? Does your boss look at you pityingly and say " just print the f***ing thing and dont bother me with crap like this again"?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
At the supermarket I used to work at on London Road, the security guard said it was company policy not to stop someone fourteen or under from stealing...

Maybe they have changed their policy to not stop anyone under 100 with the slaps on the wrist people get these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here