Votes: 73 59.8%
  • yes once

Votes: 23 18.9%

• Total voters

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
But if I had no money and either I or my family needed food, I would steal it.

Only because you know the penalties are so relaxed you see no deterrent not to.
If on the other hand more draconian methods were still in place, steal and you lose a hand, would you still risk it?

Last edited:

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Supermarkets have a budget, which will cover unknown loss, which obviously includes theft, obviously if this is particularly high, they, of course can find out which area it is in and add extra cameras, improve security tagging etc, to keep them within their budget.

Working in a supermarket, it is very common for any shoplifters to be pointed out by customers as obviously, they tend to nick the stuff when there are no staff around! It is also common for customers to help stop shoplifts, physically, to help the staff, security guards or whoever. How anybody can say this is a negative thing is very strange!

You'll also find that most people tend to shop in the same store and become very familiar with that shop and do not want to see people stealing, committing a crime in the store and if there is anything they can do to help, why wouldn't they!?

Also.....the comment about special offers not being through on the till, I read it as suggesting this is some sort of scam!? The big retail companies we are talking about here, would not want, or be able to do that. It is ridiculous I'm afraid, I'm pretty sure Tescos don't think "I know how to make more money, lets charge full price to vulnerable pensioners for offers, they won't check their receipt!!"

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Do you condone thieving Bushy?
No I dont, but neither do I condone the deliberately misleading marketing methods of supermarkets either , there obviously have to deterrents against it, we would live in chaos otherwise, but there are those, such as the big supermarket chains, that can afford it more than others, such as independent shops, or individuals in private houses, I despise domestic burglars for example, but there are more deserving targets for the " sir, sir look what jones has done sir " types on here.

Benson

Jan 31, 2012
near water
I once grassed up some guy who was stealing rolls of the stuff from Homebase and then taking it across the road to B&Q.
I spoke to a security guard about what i'd seen and he just said it was part of the turf war.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
By not reporting someone who is shoplifting are you not being an accessory / aiding & abetting?

Just a thought like.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
My heart goes out to the supermarkets giants they are one of the most honest and community minded industries there is these days. And we should look after them, you can buy your meat at one counter, fish at another and fruit at another nearby its almost like a community.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Supermarkets have a budget, which will cover unknown loss, which obviously includes theft, obviously if this is particularly high, they, of course can find out which area it is in and add extra cameras, improve security tagging etc, to keep them within their budget.

Working in a supermarket, it is very common for any shoplifters to be pointed out by customers as obviously, they tend to nick the stuff when there are no staff around! It is also common for customers to help stop shoplifts, physically, to help the staff, security guards or whoever. How anybody can say this is a negative thing is very strange!

You'll also find that most people tend to shop in the same store and become very familiar with that shop and do not want to see people stealing, committing a crime in the store and if there is anything they can do to help, why wouldn't they!?

Also.....the comment about special offers not being through on the till, I read it as suggesting this is some sort of scam!? The big retail companies we are talking about here, would not want, or be able to do that. It is ridiculous I'm afraid, I'm pretty sure Tescos don't think "I know how to make more money, lets charge full price to vulnerable pensioners for offers, they won't check their receipt!!"

Yup, at Tesco their "unknown loss" is called Shrink, and they have databases and and statistics to tell them which department suffers from it most. Oddly, it seemed when I worked for them, it was mainly chilled items - a lot of people would nick cheese, bacon and ham, as it has a fairly reasonable re-sale value in pubs and door to door (or that's what we were told - have any of YOU had some dodgy scrote knock on your door with a holdall full of cheese?? No, me neither!!)

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
No I dont, but neither do I condone the deliberately misleading marketing methods of supermarkets either , there obviously have to deterrents against it, we would live in chaos otherwise, but there are those, such as the big supermarket chains, that can afford it more than others, such as independent shops, or individuals in private houses, I despise domestic burglars for example, but there are more deserving targets for the " sir, sir look what jones has done sir " types on here.

this post, quite literally, makes no sense whatsoever. So.....are you FOR deterrents, or against??

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
People with opinions like that ruin this country. I'd have given the thriving twat a slap first and then told security
You'd have given him a slap ? why, whats he ever done to you ? I reckon you're basing this bravado on him being a scrawny junkie , what if he'd been 6 ft 5 and looked like he could really have a row ?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wow, what a thread. 90 percent are so pure they have never nicked anything. I am guessing most of you were prefects or wannabe prefects. Why do some people seemingly equate following all the rules as being morally superior as opposed to being creeping snivelling little tell tells. I have no problem with people taking from large corporations.

If you are lucky enough to walk past an open bank and do not take the bag of cash on the window sill, more fool you. If you walk past a residence and nick a wallet then you are out of order. IMHO

Now I know this being NSC, there will all sorts of scenarios that will now come up, but my point is, that society is structured in such a way that the ruling elite have all the laws on their side. They can screw you because that is how capitalism works. On another thread recently people where defending companies using small print to rip off customers because its legal. That I find morally repugnant and would not do. But if I had no money and either I or my family needed food, I would steal it.

This! I entirely agree.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you are lucky enough to walk past an open bank and do not take the bag of cash on the window sill, more fool you. If you walk past a residence and nick a wallet then you are out of order. IMHO

A number of people in the recent London riots did exactly this - saw a broken store window, reached in and took stuff. Some even found it in the street after being stolen by someone else. Most of them ended up in jail and losing their jobs !

I'm all pushing the rules but I fail to see how breaking the law by stealing can be a trivial matter.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It has something to do with everyone, because the losses shops make through stealing, means prices are increased to cover it.

Exactly the same as everyone paying more can insurance, to cover the expense of drivers with out insurance.

Just what i was going to say.........

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I was always brought up to respect others property regardless of whether its Mrs Miggins life savings or that of an 'evil' conglomerate! If it isn't yours you don't take it... If you find it you hand it in etc.

Its a sad reflection on society that people try and justify their views by reeling off some nonsense about it being Ok to steal from large companies because they believe their practices are a little suspect (misleading promotions etc). What utter tripe! Stealing from anyone is wrong, full stop!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here