Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Love the way the locals have taken to wearing the saudi ghutra or headdress to the match, some with a thobe or converted white sheet. I bet the Saudi's will just love it. A quick search shows a few juicy snippets about wearing it:

The ghutra and thobe are also an important part of Islamic culture as they enable the wearer to dress modestly.

Most Saudis and Emiratis wear their national dress with pride. The thobe is typically well ironed and clean when donned. With the concept of ‘honour’ playing a key role in Middle Eastern culture, to wear a thobe with even the smallest stain would impact the reputation of the wearer.

If you are an expat relocating to the Middle East, (in particular Saudi Arabia or the UAE) then be aware that locals are very proud of their national dress.

Wearing it as a joke, or laughing as you put it on, would be perceived very negatively and damage your reputation.

No matter. I'm sure if they are Newcastle fans taking the p1ss with the headgear while clutching a bottle of Newcastle Brown on the way to a match or singing football chants inside the ground, the Saudi's will set aside their actions on human rights issues and applaud the sensitivity and understanding of their new bedmates on the football stage. What can possibly go wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure Baz thoroughly enjoyed writing this tweet:-

[tweet]1449817430411390977[/tweet]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Love the way the locals have taken to wearing the saudi ghutra or headdress to the match, some with a thobe or converted white sheet. I bet the Saudi's will just love it. A quick search shows a few juicy snippets about wearing it:

The ghutra and thobe are also an important part of Islamic culture as they enable the wearer to dress modestly.

Most Saudis and Emiratis wear their national dress with pride. The thobe is typically well ironed and clean when donned. With the concept of ‘honour’ playing a key role in Middle Eastern culture, to wear a thobe with even the smallest stain would impact the reputation of the wearer.

If you are an expat relocating to the Middle East, (in particular Saudi Arabia or the UAE) then be aware that locals are very proud of their national dress.

Wearing it as a joke, or laughing as you put it on, would be perceived very negatively and damage your reputation.

No matter. I'm sure if they are Newcastle fans taking the p1ss with the headgear while clutching a bottle of Newcastle Brown on the way to a match or singing football chants inside the ground, the Saudi's will set aside their actions on human rights issues and applaud the sensitivity and understanding of their new bedmates on the football stage. What can possibly go wrong.

These hilarious characters have been doing it for ten years.

7920B32F-92C1-4267-B7C2-F6358BBBB063.png

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Luckily, those ever-lovable Geordies are taking great pains to ensure they don't upset the sensitivities of their new friends....

0_Newcastle-United-v-Tottenham-Hotspur-Premier-League.jpg

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’ve nothing but contempt for Newcastle and it’s fans after today’s scenes. They truly disgust me, epitomising how money makes fools of us all.

The Goon army.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Perhaps I’m being unduly cynical but I can’t help but feel the ‘No Room For Racism’ sentiment at the start of each match rings slightly hollow when your club is bankrolled by a regime that has misogyny running through it like a stick of rock.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps I’m being unduly cynical but I can’t help but feel the ‘No Room For Racism’ sentiment at the start of each match rings slightly hollow when your club is bankrolled by a regime that has misogyny running through it like a stick of rock.

Or when those who insist on the No Room For Racism (fast becoming a gimmick) rollout the red carpet for racist, misogynistic, homophobes, just because they've got loadsamoney.

The Horse Punchers are behaving appallingly but don't forget who started it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

These Saudi govt investors are not going to give a shit. They have more power and influence in England than your whole population has. Wouldnt surprise me if Boris was cleaning their boots after the game yesterday. They wont be offended by what some ants are up to.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
These Saudi govt investors are not going to give a shit. They have more power and influence in England than your whole population has. Wouldnt surprise me if Boris was cleaning their boots after the game yesterday. They wont be offended by what some ants are up to.

What about Dec?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Indeed. As I have said before, I believe it's a conscious choice whether or not to take offence at things.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Maybe it's only me, but I thought the body language of the Staveley woman looked a little like a pretentious 5 year-old at her birthday party. It didn't look like someone considering very carefully the onerous task of throwing someone else's money at a basket case football club.

I dislike intensely the Saudi regime and any suggestion of sports washing, and I want this whole circus to fall so flat on its face that foreign investors will be deterred from such lunacy in future.
I also respect entirely the opinion that I'd no doubt be morally outraged if I knew the full details of how Abramovich really made his money, and some of the other monsters who own big football clubs these days.

But I really hope the new regime at Newcastle haven't a clue what they are doing, and that we quickly hear the commentators, pundits and fans who all think this is so wonderful, waking up to the realisation that it was never what it seemed.

PIF is worth north of 300 billion they tell me - I cannot imagine they are sitting round in their gilded palace in Riyadh debating whether to chuck it at Mourinho, or Mbappe, or Neymar or whoever - much more likely to be debating which dissident to assassinate next. I just find the whole thing completely odious.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Indeed. They won't be thinking "This is cultural appropriation! We're deeply deeply offended!" Rather they'll be smirking and saying "All going to plan so far!"

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Will Staveley stick around? I always thought she was the deal broker, probably gets some structure in place and then presumably walks off with a big pile of cash?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Will Staveley stick around? I always thought she was the deal broker, probably gets some structure in place and then presumably walks off with a big pile of cash?

I reckon PIF will want a British face to front it.

She's the obvious choice

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

She's well in with the Saudi Royals - she'll do whatever they want her to do, because of the money involved. Probably enough other deals in their empire to get involved in to keep her going forever :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here