[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I reckon PIF will want a British face to front it.

She's the obvious choice

But what's her role? And shes not a football person. The problem I see they have is seemingly no plan, they have no structure in place on the football side. How are they going to hire a manager? Can you imagine the interview process with a bunch of finance people running it

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
But what's her role? And shes not a football person. The problem I see they have is seemingly no plan, they have no structure in place on the football side. How are they going to hire a manager? Can you imagine the interview process with a bunch of finance people running it

The role is mouthpiece of the owners I suspect. I'm certain she won't actually be making any decisions herself, but she is a buffer so that the actual owners themselves don't have to be interviewed and potentially answer awkward questions. Either that or they will get someone else in this position, but the fact that she is a woman fits well with the sportswashing aspect

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Rubbish. Saw her on telly yesterday wearing a scarf, and celebrating a goal. Lifelong footy fan and dyed-in-the-wool Geordie

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The role is mouthpiece of the owners I suspect. I'm certain she won't actually be making any decisions herself, but she is a buffer so that the actual owners themselves don't have to be interviewed and potentially answer awkward questions. Either that or they will get someone else in this position, but the fact that she is a woman fits well with the sportswashing aspect

Indeed. I remember a few years ago we were setting up some channels with new partners in the Middle East. Lots of pleasant conversations over email and we went to visit them in Qatar, inviting my Regional lead who happened to be a woman. Much awkwardness (we had expected it was possible) when we arrived and the business leads at our new partner refused to have a meeting with our VP because she was a female, instead someone in a more junior role had to conduct the meeting on her behalf....

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Unfortunately, they will compete near the top eventually. Money talks, better players make better teams more often than not.

Even Solskjaer and Lampard delivered top 4 finishes!

I have a feeling it won’t be as straightforward as they are assuming. World class players won’t join until it is a world class team. For now they are going to have to compete in the same market as Everton, West Ham and maybe even BHA. That’s without having any of the infrastructure to do it but instead a shed load of money. Their stepping stone managerial appointment is going to have to be a good one and their fans are going to have to back him even when he doesn’t deliver instant results. Neither are likely.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have a feeling it won’t be as straightforward as they are assuming. World class players won’t join until it is a world class team. For now they are going to have to compete in the same market as Everton, West Ham and maybe even BHA. That’s without having any of the infrastructure to do it but instead a shed load of money. Their stepping stone managerial appointment is going to have to be a good one and their fans are going to have to back him even when he doesn’t deliver instant results. Neither are likely.

I think you’re right initially, they’ll probably get through a couple of managers and mistakenly buy lazy mercenary ‘names’ (Pogba types, but not quite that level).

A vastly expensive player rebuilding required, to me Wilson and Saint-Maximin seem the only the cert’s to survive.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It might be sensible for them to keep Steve Bruce in for another month whilst they put in the proper structures behind the scenes. Protect the new manager from having to lose a lot of games with that squad.

They can appoint the new manager around the start of December, that gives him a month to work out what he needs straight away (an entire back line, an entire central midfield and a striker without glass knees).

Bruce's job for the next month or so would be just to grind out dull draws and keep them in touching distance. They'll sign 8 first team players in January in my view and will be fine

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think you’re right initially, they’ll probably get through a couple of managers and mistakenly buy lazy mercenary ‘names’ (Pogba types, but not quite that level).

A vastly expensive player rebuilding required, to me Wilson and Saint-Maximin seem the only the cert’s to survive.

Yeh. Every selling club will be quoting ludicrous money

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

BHA seem to track players for a year or two before signing. We can’t be the only ones. There will occasionally be opportunistic signings like Lamptey but these are the exception. Newcastle have to organize this from nothing. I’m sure you are right in the very long term but the short term may last a lot longer than the fancy dress wearing Geordies are hoping for.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Will Staveley stick around? I always thought she was the deal broker, probably gets some structure in place and then presumably walks off with a big pile of cash?

I reckon PIF will want a British face to front it.

She's the obvious choice

Only about 70% of her face is British. The rest came from Turkey after some "holidays".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BHA seem to track players for a year or two before signing. We can’t be the only ones. There will occasionally be opportunistic signings like Lamptey but these are the exception. Newcastle have to organize this from nothing. I’m sure you are right in the very long term but the short term may last a lot longer than the fancy dress wearing Geordies are hoping for.

Yet the Geordie way has finished above the Albion way in every single season...

...ever.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think they're in a very awkward situation..........clearly getting a new manager at some point, but as yet no strategy in place so no idea what type of players they would want. Logically, you would think appointing a Director of Football/Technical Director should be the first move, then a manager, then some players. Also seems to be a succession of managers ruling themselves out at the moment, but fans will demand a 'big name' and any players they buy, particularly in January, are going to be at a huge premium. Agree with [MENTION=42429]Nobby Cybergoat[/MENTION] - logic would be to keep Bruce until they've got things a bit clearer - but one problem there is the fans want him out. Can see some 'interim manager' being appointed - probably some currently out-of-work dinosaur with a record of scraping PL survival who is happy to take the cash from almost any source perhaps.............................I don't see them competing anywhere near the top for at least 2-3 seasons, maybe a lot more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1978/79, 1979/80 ….

I knew I was leaving the door open for that but the point still stands

Not too sure how a team that always bettered the Albion can be put down because it's recruitment.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
City pre-Sheikh:
2006/07 - 42pts 14th
2007/08 - 55pts 9th

City post Sheikh (took over after 2008 summer transfer window):
2008/09 - 50pts 10th
2009/10 - 67pts 5th
2010/11 - 71 pts 3rd (FA Cup winners)
2011/12 - 89 pts 1st

First transfer window in Jan 2009, they bought in Robinho, Bridge, Bellamy, De Jong, Given. The Summer 2009, Tevez, Adebayor, Toure, plus others. The transformation was pretty immediate. From relegation battle 2007 to competing at the top by 2010. Champions within 3 full seasons of taking ownership.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports