Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sanchez handball/red card?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This was what they showed on the BBC. If this was the best VAR had - then not surprised it wasn't enough to penalise him.

1679240445318.png
Thanks for posting. I suppose what the rules state are what should drive the decision. If it's the case that a keeper can handle the ball in the box, and the box extends to the outer line, then you'd have to say that the officials collectively got that decision right.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think there is much serious dispute that Sanchez should according to the laws be sent off if he had handled that ball out of the area.

But I don't like the rule where a keeper is on the line or might be 1mm over, nobody really knows, and gets sent off. You're basically ruining a game for the sake of 1mm.

It's totally different to the situation with Pope where he's 10 yards out of his box.

I think if the keeper is making a genuine attempt to catch it and keep it in his box and the ref or VAR rules he's marginally out then just a yellow.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
There has been a few occasions when a player thought the ball was dead, picked it up with his hands and the opponents got awarded a penalty.

Picking the ball up with your hands is always (unless the keeper does it inside his penalty area) a deliberate handball, because he deliberately meant to use his hands to handle the ball. Deliberate handball. The laws of the game says nothing about "if the official reads the mind of the player and concludes he had a feverish dream of being in his bathtub handling his balls or in his penalty area handling the ball, its perfectly fine to just grab it with the hands wherever you want".

We have seen a lot of red cards given for keepers handling the ball outside the area over the years. If the goalkeeper in that situation walks up to the referee and says "I thought I was inside the area", they will say "well that is your problem and bad judgement, off you go".

The Willian incident was more dubious as he had likely no intention to get his ball on the hand (= not deliberately handling the ball with his hands). Rob Sanchez had no other intention than picking the ball up (deliberately handling the ball with his hands whether or not it was a foul and whether or not he intended to commit the foul).
I get it, but a red card for that? Seems totally over the top, compared to what Pope did which is fair enough.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why though ? Not like he couldn’t have kicked it if he wanted to.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't think there is much serious dispute that Sanchez should according to the laws be sent off if he had handled that ball out of the area.

But I don't like the rule where a keeper is on the line or might be 1mm over, nobody really knows, and gets sent off. You're basically ruining a game for the sake of 1mm.

It's totally different to the situation with Pope where he's 10 yards out of his box.

I think if the keeper is making a genuine attempt to catch it and keep it in his box and the ref or VAR rules he's marginally out then just a yellow.

I get it, but a red card for that? Seems totally over the top, compared to what Pope did which is fair enough.

Agree it would be harsh but it would be completely correct according to the laws of the game. Hence why they were checking with VAR to find out if it was outside the penalty area, which would have resulted in a red card.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I think that the rule that if a part of the ball was touching the line (or part of the line) saved us - it was pretty marginal though.. At the end of the day, the VAR didn't decide to do us over for once. Time to accept that, and move on.

Phew!
Can't help but wonder what if we were playing Utd, City etc. Maguire wouldn't have let that go until the ref changed his mind.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I dont get this. How are people looking at this image and seeing it all outside the box? That is the var image that was shown. We didnt get away with one, it was the correct decision, although it was close.
View attachment 158539
Inclined to agree… people still don’t get camera angles trickery - including Murray it seems BUT I can’t work out why the ball looks twice the size in that still - blurry image makes it look bigger?!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It feels quite weird to be clearly the richer and bigger club and have the reffing and VAR decisions go your way.

Liverpool and Man U fans must absolutely love VAR

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I was convinced it was outside, absolutely convinced, watching from upper west at the north end. I still can’t believe he got away with it, especially after VAR got involved!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Inclined to agree… people still don’t get camera angles trickery - including Murray it seems BUT I can’t work out why the ball looks twice the size in that still - blurry image makes it look bigger?!
What, that white thing between Bob’s legs? That’s the white line, not part of the ball,

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The angle from the side and behind him (viewing from about 5 o'clock angle) just isn't conclusive enough for a red card. Unless you're looking directly along the 18 yard line, impossible to tell whether all of the ball was outside all of the line. I'd be hacked off if VAR started getting involved in marginal calls when they haven't got a definitive view.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What, that white thing between Bob’s legs? That’s the white line, not part of the ball,
Ah I think I see that now although some much be the ball - in the photo his leg blocks out some of the ball but defo looks like some of it would be overlapping so was the correct decision. And certainly not clear and obvious there.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Sanchez gave us a couple of scary moments yesterday, as well as a couple of good reflex saves .. His judgment is too often at fault for me . I hope Steele plays at Wembley.
I do wonder whether he's suffered more from the post Potter leaving exodus than many other players. Weren't he and Ben Roberts particularly close?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for posting. I suppose what the rules state are what should drive the decision. If it's the case that a keeper can handle the ball in the box, and the box extends to the outer line, then you'd have to say that the officials collectively got that decision right.
Sums up VAR. Makes you wonder accurcy of offsides,

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
my seat was about level with edge of penalty area, looked just about level to naked eye, one of those where different angles will show different ways - needs a camera in the grass - or one by side of pitch level with the white line

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here