Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sanchez handball/red card?

Holoflux

Dec 27, 2021
I thought it was handball live. I’ve now looked at replays (with admittedly shit camera angles) It looks like his right foot was outside the box when he touches the ball, the ball was in front of his right foot. We got away with that one!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed I was pretty level and in real time it looked like he was over. Dunk was giving him some shit before , for that weird control on the ‘back pass’

I don’t think VAR was conclusive so they stuck with the on field decision

I was genuinely shocked that he wasn't sent off. I'd be absolutely fuming if I was a Grimsby fan.
I took one as my guest and his cover was blown when this happened 😂

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Very, very lucky boy. I was in line with it and was sure he was going to go. The replays don’t really do him any favours either. He definitely got away with one there.

That rule to me has always seemed unecessarily harsh but as it is the rule, he was definitely very lucky.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So please clarify the law. Sanchez picked the ball up outside the box but both feet were inside it. What should happen?

I saw this on the replay before the VAR decision and confess I am not up to speed with the laws of the game on this.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'm pretty much in line with the edge of the box and we all thought he was going to walk. Definitely looked outside the box, haven't seen any stills or replays though.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This was what they showed on the BBC. If this was the best VAR had - then not surprised it wasn't enough to penalise him.

1679240445318.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It looked like the VAR angle was from a few yards behind the penalty box perimeter, so wasn't able to provide a conclusive view, meaning Sanchez got the benefit of the doubt.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I’m going to have to have another look at the half-time replays. They showed the replay from the camera in line with the box, and it looked like the ball was just over.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
So please clarify the law. Sanchez picked the ball up outside the box but both feet were inside it. What should happen?

I saw this on the replay before the VAR decision
Law is clear, doesn’t matter what his feet are doing. The offence is given at the point the hand touches the ball. If it was given, it would have been a straight red for DGSO- denial of goalscoring opportunity.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This was what they showed on the BBC. If this was the best VAR had - then not surprised it wasn't enough to penalise him.

1679240445318.png
Based on that, some of the ball looks above the line, some over, so no handball. Not a great image though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

1679240445318.png
Law is clear, doesn’t matter what his feet are doing. The offence is given at the point the hand touches the ball. If it was given, it would have been a straight red for DGSO- denial of goalscoring opportunity.
He 100% picked the ball up outside the box, maybe a smidgen was on the line, it may not have been on the ground when he did so. The replay I saw did not freeze frame though, it was in real time.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

I saw this on the replay before the VAR decision and confess I am not up to speed with the laws of the game on this.
As far as I am aware the position of his feet is irrelevant.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He 100% picked the ball up outside the box, it may not have been on the ground when he did so though
It’s very hard to judge which is why VAR didn’t give it. A ball is very hard to judge going over a line hence the use of Hawkeye for goal line decisions and in other sports.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Too close to tell. Camara angles I’ve seen prove nothing. Whole ball over whole line and not 1mm overlapping is what you’d need to prove - and so often people don’t get the rule. Close one for sure though.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

1679240445318.png
Not the same angle as on my yankee stream (dont know if they have a different feed). I think on that picture he has already done half a second of pulling it in towards the penalty area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here