Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sammy Lee - joining Southampton FC (NOT assistant manager at the Albion)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It leaves us a little red faced tbh, but it doesn't exactly shine Sammy Lee in a great light either does it?

Personally I was underwhelmed by his appointment anyway so lets hole the next guy we get in has a bit more integrity.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I will express my disappointment through the medium of verse:

"Sami sought an assistant
Jan Lichte was in the hunt
Sammy Lee then signed, next day resigned
The money-grabbing kvnt."

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wonder if it was anything to do with the £55M in transfer fees that Southampton received last week that changed Sammy Lee's mind ?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sod him. Would have been great to have him here, but there's other fish in the sea.

Can't blame the club. The guy has reneged on an agreement. Classless.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Sammy Lee was a good appointment.

Sammy Lee has done the dirty on us, and especially on SH.

We move on, there are other people who'll do a great job for us.
What was it about him that made you think he was a good appointment? Not having a dig, just interested.

I thought there'd be a bit of a meltdown on here when he was announced and was surprised and pleased that the appointment was welcomed. Surprised because I was unimpressed and pleased because it said to me that there must be something about the guy for his appointment to be so welcomed.

So what was it?

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
This doesn't reflect well on Sammy Lee's integrity. However for me it raises questions about the quality of our management. He clearly had agreed a contract but not signed it. Surely we announced it too early?

I have the feeling we're also not sharp enough with signings - what happened with Lewis Grabban for example. We seem to be missing out a bit too often

haven't you read a thing here. we could have forced him to work his notice. on the club website and sky sports. he was employed, got a better offer and renegraded.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If there's been anything tinpot about this business it's the way Southampton have acted. Hijacking deals for players is one thing - how they play is all there on film every week - but how carefully have Southampton considered what Lee can give them and how he'll fit in, and how much research has Lee done about Koeman and the set-up at Saints?

They are at a pivotal point in their history with £75 million of transfer income to come in. If they get it right they could cement a spot in the Prem for the next decade, so this doesn't seem like part of a carefully considered gameplan, more like a desperate measure.

It's also a very shit way to conduct your business.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
To be fair what has SL achieved in management to deserve three clubs to all actively be involved in him at the same time? The answer is very little, so as frustrating as it must be for SH I feel it's a huge pie eating midget of a dodged bullet swerved.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
However don't forget we thought he was the right man for the job and appointed him, within two days we have found out that he is a complete weasel. Doesn't say much for our due diligence or choice in personnel. For me it is extremely embarrassing and the club look tin pot

You are surely a palace fan undercover. Good choice of username.

It is not embarrassing or tinpot, unless you are a delicate sensitive little flower, or are palace making mischief.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If I had not accepted the first job offer I would certainly feel able to accept a later offer from someone else, and indeed have done so twice in my career. If I had accepted the first offer, I would not accept a second offer.

In fact, once I had accepted the first offer, I would withdraw from negotiations with any other party.

It is a very similar situation, morally, to gazumping, which most people despise. Legally, it isn't similar, because in gazumping no contract exists (in England and Wales), unlike this situation where the club have indicated in the strongest possible terms that a contract did exist.

I was going to give this a thumbs-up, but it deserves more than that. I was going to post something similar. If offered a job while I still had other irons in the fire, I would do entirely as you indicate - in fact, I have done in the past.

And although it is not entirely similar, as chair of governors at a local school once, we offered a post to someone, who reacted by saying that he had another interview the following week and would let us know after that. The offer was withdrawn and the post offered to and accepted by the person who was second choice, who went on to do very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here