Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sammy Lee - joining Southampton FC (NOT assistant manager at the Albion)

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Have often wondered .....how crucial is an Assistant Manager in the scheme of things?
In some ways a good coach I can appreciate....but how much did Tanno and Jones contribute in recent years?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I personally blame BERK for this, how many more COCK ups do we have to ENDURE before this IDIOT is SACKED ?

That's an interesting new slant there Ernest.

Sammy Lee and David Burke have both worked for Les Reed currently the Head of Football at Southampton.
Reed was Technical Director at England when Lee coached for the country and Reed has been Burke's mentor and boss at both Fulham and Southampton.

It may have something to do with Sammy having more respect for Reed, that he chose Southampton. Reed is recognised as being one of the top talent spotters and coaches in the country, while Burke? who knows.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
we should renege on the friendly and play someone else, otherwise there will be one big unfriendly atmosphere at The Amex if little Porky Lee fronts.........

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
What a ****!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Loving the 'Dodged a bullet' claims. Textbook.

How so? He has certainly thrown his integrity into the equation as, let's be honest, he or his agent had almost certainly been in discussions with Soton at the time he verbally agreed to join us. Who knows what was then said to change his mind although the obvious one would be money!

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
How so? He has certainly thrown his integrity into the equation as, let's be honest, he or his agent had almost certainly been in discussions with Soton at the time he verbally agreed to join us. Who knows what was then said to change his mind although the obvious one would be money!

Or it just could be the quality of staff he would be working with, he felt he had a better chance of success at Southampton. We are all judged on the results we achieve and given that choice, I think I would have chosen the same in his position.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Or it just could be the quality of staff he would be working with, he felt he had a better chance of success at Southampton. We are all judged on the results we achieve and given that choice, I think I would have chosen the same in his position.

fair point, but he had already made his decision......cancel the friendly, I say !!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

It's not nice that he's changed his mind but it's a missed opportunity (through no fault of our own), not a bullet dodged.

I think I'm allowed to say it, given my earlier posts in this thread.

He's a fat shìt dinosaur with a less than sparkling CV as far as I'm concerned.

You seem to be blinkered when looking at his coaching (not manager) CV. A line of liverpool managers had him in their staff, then England, then Sam Allerdyce, now 8th place Premiership Southampton under Koeman jumped at him when they saw he was available.

Potentially he was a great appointment.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think I'm allowed to say it, given my earlier posts in this thread.

He's a fat shìt dinosaur with a less than sparkling CV as far as I'm concerned.

Surely a guy with two European Cups and three league titles to his name was going to command more respect than Nathan Jones?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
haven't you read a thing here. we could have forced him to work his notice. on the club website and sky sports. he was employed, got a better offer and renegraded.

If this is a true statement from the club that we had a signed contract, why are we not asking for compensation from Southampton?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Maybe we are. I doubt the club would be telling us about it if they were though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If this is a true statement from the club that we had a signed contract, why are we not asking for compensation from Southampton?

Because unlike Mr Lee and Southampton we are a club of honour, and taking the higher ground on things like this is the right thing for Tony and the Club to do.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I think the fact that Sami wanted him is all that is important here. So from that point of view it's disappointing.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Because unlike Mr Lee and Southampton we are a club of honour, and taking the higher ground on things like this is the right thing for Tony and the Club to do.

absolutely. although, who says we haven't received anything! the club don't have to tell us everything

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Did anyone see Sami on SSN this evening saying how disappointed he was about the Sammy Lee 'change of mind'? Very different from OG's style. He certainly didn't hold back. Not one to mess with!

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
He's fat ,he's round, he bounces on the ground Sammy Lee, Sammy Lee........Boil in the bag t*sser!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here