Ryan Harley

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peterrhodes

Aug 18, 2009
London
For me he's very average, wasn't poor today which is an improvement. What gets at me though is that when he loses the ball, there's no reaction, no attempt to get it back.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
I really do take exception to a lot of these comments I thought the midfield was good today - admittedly not exceptional but not weak either.

Bridcutt was his usual self - good tracking back, strong tackles and even won some headers. Can't believe he doesn't have his own song by the way not that I am lyrically gifted to develop one.

Harley was fairly effective I thought. There was commitment and more importantly effort on his part today so well played.

Navarro I thoughts was great 1st half although was a bit anonymous in the 2nd. He was always trying to get involved making himself available for the pass or trying to win the ball. I thought given his lack of much practice it was a good performance and would back him if he continued like this to cover Dicker's position.

D

Deleted member 18477

He did a Lampard yesterday. Play complete dogshit BUT score! That will do for me. Wins a win!

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
I think we are a bit unbalanced, all are attacks are down the left, this means Noone (who was class) is knacked by 60 mins, I'd like see us play with 2 wingers and Navs & Bridcutt in the middle to add the steel. I would drop Harley and bring in Lua Lua. Decent performance though, just what we needed to give us a bit of confidence going into tougher games.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I think a few people will be surprised about his influence on the game when you see the highlights.

Saw some brilliant comments in player ratings thread from one poster in particular who gave Harley a 6 for not tracking back and navs a 6 for not getting forward. If you don't understand the role of an attacking/defensive midfielder you shouldn't be allowed to voice your opinion on them. They then went on go give noone a 9. As much as I like Craig noone he created very little today. Taking on one too many players far too often and misplacing passes does not warrant a 9 for a winger.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm a critic of him. Recognising that many are saying he's competent or better I've come to watching him off the ball and yesterday what I saw was a fella "running" after the ball but never really looking like he was actually trying to get to it .. almost like he didn't want it. He did make some good space for himself a few times but then never really made out he wanted the killer ball to set things up. At one point I was thinking to myself that if you looked at the full 90 minutes on Tele you would see Harley in the frame more than anyone else, but without actually having the ball.

I've got no axe to grind at all, I want each and every one of players to be hugely successful and Harley is no exception. But I sense he doesn't really know what to do and he just looks out of place. Maybe at Exeter he was the top dude and feeds off the fact that he knows everything will go through him .. I really don't know, but he's in such a pivotal position that he needs to make more of an impression and impose himself. Not bothered about his tackling (particularly when we have Bridcutt/Nav's) but he needs to be getting on the ball and making things happen much more I think.

Hope he does come good but I've not seen a great deal that inspires me.

Trying to be constructive and not just moan as I genuinely want him (as indeed all the others) to be a real talent

D

Deleted member 18477

I think a few people will be surprised about his influence on the game when you see the highlights.

Saw some brilliant comments in player ratings thread from one poster in particular who gave Harley a 6 for not tracking back and navs a 6 for not getting forward. If you don't understand the role of an attacking/defensive midfielder you shouldn't be allowed to voice your opinion on them. They then went on go give noone a 9. As much as I like Craig noone he created very little today. Taking on one too many players far too often and misplacing passes does not warrant a 9 for a winger.

Agree. Noone was average yesterday. Mainly because our attacks are so predictable because we only have 1 winger. Were so unbalanced across the midfield it's ridiculous at times. But we got the win yesterday so let's not moan too much. We aren't Barcelona remember...

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

We all have differening opinions, but yours is pretty close to mine.

Thought both Navarro and Harley had much better performances than of late...............but still believe that neither will make the 1st team when other players are fit again.

Craig Noone is such an entertaining player to watch, but the number and quality of his crosses into the box are simply awful lately.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I'm a critic of him. Recognising that many are saying he's competent or better I've come to watching him off the ball and yesterday what I saw was a fella "running" after the ball but never really looking like he was actually trying to get to it .. almost like he didn't want it. He did make some good space for himself a few times but then never really made out he wanted the killer ball to set things up. At one point I was thinking to myself that if you looked at the full 90 minutes on Tele you would see Harley in the frame more than anyone else, but without actually having the ball.

I've got no axe to grind at all, I want each and every one of players to be hugely successful and Harley is no exception. But I sense he doesn't really know what to do and he just looks out of place. Maybe at Exeter he was the top dude and feeds off the fact that he knows everything will go through him .. I really don't know, but he's in such a pivotal position that he needs to make more of an impression and impose himself. Not bothered about his tackling (particularly when we have Bridcutt/Nav's) but he needs to be getting on the ball and making things happen much more I think.

Hope he does come good but I've not seen a great deal that inspires me.

Trying to be constructive and not just moan as I genuinely want him (as indeed all the others) to be a real talent

That is a fair enough opinion which I agree with. However like Nooney, once Gus has worked on him I truly believe that he'll come good! Just give him time people.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Better than Watford or millwall so it's a start

Thought Navarro made a massive difference yesterday, teams have worked out everything goes through Bridcutt and he often finds himself with two players tracking him.... Navarro also plays that role well and found himself acres of space at times. He could have done better on a few occasions but that will come with matches.

With Bridcutt and Navs I'd rather see us play with Buckley rather than Harley but he was much improved yesterday so maybe he might get a run in the team

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought Harley had his best game for the Albion yesterday. Because he does not put a foot in all the time, he will be criticised. He was the one player (apart from Tano, who was perfect) who looked like he could unlock the defence yesterday, he was always able to get others involved, and constantly looking for gaps in the Barnsley defence.

Not perfect, but promising.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Did much better..i think some of the ''look at me'' has been knocked out of him..played for the team and was a useful player yesterday

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Played well yesterday. Seemed to be getting further forward (as evidenced for being on the spot for the goal and had a good chance in the first half) and was the link between midfield and attack we have been lacking. This was helped by Navarro and Bridcutt being very solid in the middle. Not brilliant by any means, but definitely a better role for him.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
That is a fair enough opinion which I agree with. However like Nooney, once Gus has worked on him I truly believe that he'll come good! Just give him time people.

Agreed. Last season Noone was alright, a few little runs and tricks here and there. Didn't think he'd make the step up but he has! Give Harley time.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Navarro was dedent today, Harley was improved but his work rate still needs to be upped. We looked like we lacked shape in general today. Defence was all at sea. A better team would have beaten us imo.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Navarro was dedent today, Harley was improved but his work rate still needs to be upped. We looked like we lacked shape in general today. Defence was all at sea. A better team would have beaten us imo.

i actually thought we had more shape ...opposition in this league wil always hav chances...we did cut out some of the silly mistakes yesterday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports