Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
With this desperate saga mainly confined to pages 4 and 5 presently, I find it deeply concerning that some feel the madman is heading towards victory in Ukraine, and probably beyond.

I get the feeling that should Western powers fail to maintain funding, or even increase it, then we're in a spot of bother.

Furthermore, if Trump does manage a victory next year, then it's most likely that the US will reduce funding anyway.

Add this to the Gaza situation, Merry Christmas everyone.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67676029

The Royal Navy will transfer two of its minehunter ships to Ukraine in a bid to strengthen the country's sea abilities, the Ministry of Defence has said.
Defence Secretary Grant Shapps said the vessels would help to reopen "vital export routes" - limited since Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine.

"We believe that we simply can't have an outcome where an autocratic dictator walks into a neighbouring democratic country and then the West gets bored of it," he said.
"That is an unacceptable outcome. That is why the UK will keep reminding people that that can't happen."
The defence secretary earlier said that the bid to improve Ukraine's navy "marks the beginning of a new dedicated effort by the UK, Norway and our allies to strengthen Ukraine's maritime capabilities... enhancing their ability to operate in defending their sovereign waters and bolstering security in the Black Sea".

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
With this desperate saga mainly confined to pages 4 and 5 presently, I find it deeply concerning that some feel the madman is heading towards victory in Ukraine, and probably beyond.

I get the feeling that should Western powers fail to maintain funding, or even increase it, then we're in a spot of bother.

Furthermore, if Trump does manage a victory next year, then it's most likely that the US will reduce funding anyway.

Add this to the Gaza situation, Merry Christmas everyone.

My local paper detailed how the US still has 6 billion in already approved funding still available for Ukraine. US politics is largely about theatre and I'm hoping this 6 billion in already approved funding is the money that gets the US through the theatre part of the performance before new funding is approved next year.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
My local paper detailed how the US still has 6 billion in already approved funding still available for Ukraine. US politics is largely about theatre and I'm hoping this 6 billion in already approved funding is the money that gets the US through the theatre part of the performance before new funding is approved next year.
A lot of what we post on here is based on hope.

Here is how the BBC see it.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
It seems as if Guyana / Venezuela might also provide another distraction for the US. Meanwhile, Putin shocked the world last week in announcing he will be standing in Russia’s next “election” - is it first past the post or PR over there?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It seems as if Guyana / Venezuela might also provide another distraction for the US. Meanwhile, Putin shocked the world last week in announcing he will be standing in Russia’s next “election” - is it first past the post or PR over there?
Interesting debate isn't it whether it's been orchestrated by Russia or whether Venezuela is just taking the opportunity of a distracted world.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
PR. One man, one vote. And that man…

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Interesting debate isn't it whether it's been orchestrated by Russia or whether Venezuela is just taking the opportunity of a distracted world.
Does it benefit Russia? There's your answer.

Debating whether Russia was behind it is itself a distraction, and one which Russia will welcome. It gives Russia the opportunity to deny everything, accuse the west of paranoia and Russophobia, and flood social media with comments from false accounts purporting to come from locations worldwide.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Meanwhile, nothing is known of the whereabouts of Alexei Navalny................
Disappeared or moved to somewhere away from the media before the presidential election. Can't have any embarrassment during that, can we?

On which note, take a look at this:

'A new decree comes into force today giving some Russians five days to hand over their passports.

The Russian decree states authorities can impose a travel ban on conscripts, employees of the Federal Security Service (FSB), convicts, or people who have access to state secrets or "information of special importance," among others. Once notified, people have five days to surrender their documents.

After the travel ban is lifted, the passport could be returned upon completing an application, according to the government decree.'

- Sky News, 07:53am, 11/12/2023.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Disappeared or moved to somewhere away from the media before the presidential election. Can't have any embarrassment during that, can we?

On which note, take a look at this:

'A new decree comes into force today giving some Russians five days to hand over their passports.

The Russian decree states authorities can impose a travel ban on conscripts, employees of the Federal Security Service (FSB), convicts, or people who have access to state secrets or "information of special importance," among others. Once notified, people have five days to surrender their documents.

After the travel ban is lifted, the passport could be returned upon completing an application, according to the government decree.'

- Sky News, 07:53am, 11/12/2023.
I'm surprised they hadn't confiscated those passports before.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm surprised they hadn't confiscated those passports before.
I'm guessing that it is logistics, rather than an oversight or a decision to let them leave if they want to. Russia has long borders, and it is impossible to police them all.

On a recent Youtube video a conservative estimate of the number of young Russian males who have fled the country to avoid the draft, was 1.3 million.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Meanwhile, nothing is known of the whereabouts of Alexei Navalny................
Navalny may be an opponent of Putin, but from what I've read it's certainly not clear that he'd be a saviour for Ukraine if he were ever to become president of Russia (over his dead body probably).

Re Crimea (for example) he has made mixed statements:
- he condemned the invasion as it violated agreed international boundaries...
- but, he's also said that he believes Crimea is Russian and should not be returned to Ukraine

With Putin it's 100% clear what you get...with Navalny it isn't.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Navalny may be an opponent of Putin, but from what I've read it's certainly not clear that he'd be a saviour for Ukraine if he were ever to become president of Russia (over his dead body probably).

Re Crimea (for example) he has made mixed statements:
- he condemned the invasion as it violated agreed international boundaries...
- but, he's also said that he believes Crimea is Russian and should not be returned to Ukraine

With Putin it's 100% clear what you get...with Navalny it isn't.
Hmmm. I'd take my chances with Navalny

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
On a recent Youtube video a conservative estimate of the number of young Russian males who have fled the country to avoid the draft, was 1.3 million.
given how many 25-40 year old Russians were in Dubai a couple of weeks back I think they are all hiding there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here