Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ukraine now struggling with supplies because of reduced funding.
What has happened to decent people in our world.
They’re ignored because Putin has spent the last decade or so building up his lapdogs in Europe and the US to help weaken their response (Trump, Farage, Orban, Le Pen, the Republicans, the Tories, every far fight party in Europe), slowly softening them up and weakening them so when he struck they wouldn’t stick with it. It’s working like a charm from his perspective.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
They’re ignored because Putin has spent the last decade or so building up his lapdogs in Europe and the US to help weaken their response (Trump, Farage, Orban, Le Pen, the Republicans, the Tories, every far fight party in Europe), slowly softening them up and weakening them so when he struck they wouldn’t stick with it. It’s working like a charm from his perspective.
Not sure how you can include Tories on this list, UK Tory Government has been at the forefront providing weapons & support?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I lurk more than contribute but this is a cause I support. A mate and I recently purchased and deliverd a Shogun Sport to Ukraine so I know a little bit about how important these vehicles are to their effort. So if you agree please sign the petition at Change.Org, it may do a bit of good. I’ve tried to link it below, but not sure it worked - many thanks

HTTPS://chng.it/zYT47CF5gQ
That's brilliant! Well done 🙏🙏🙏

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not sure how you can include Tories on this list, UK Tory Government has been at the forefront providing weapons & support?
Nowadays the Tories wouldn’t but pre-2022 they were very cosy bedfellows.

Unlike the GOP, they have at least had the gumption (and bravery) to back away from the Kremlin.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Putin has done this. And the thought that makes me ill is that all along he knew, the west would get distracted, the west can be bought, the west will get bored, the west is weak.

He calculated all of this correctly in my view. He now knows, as do his successors and other prospective autocrats, that you can, invade, break international law and commit mass atrocities. You'll get away with it.

I don't particularly blame, Le Pen, Orban, Trump et al. They've never hid what they are. It's the people who vote for them who I despise.

Sorry for the unduly negative post

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed. Not sure I can remember Farage coming out in support of Putin and the invasion of Ukraine either. Trump - oh yes, he's an absolute menace to Ukraine and the world.

Reactions: cjd

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is nonsense, it's just a lazy trope that gets trotted out on left wing/anti-Tory twitter accounts/media.

Macron and Schultz were bad as anyone at the start of the war for appeasing putin.

Yes there was a lot of dirty russian money in London and of course that attracts snouts to the trough, but its the same in every other big European capital. Look at how far into bed the Germans were with their energy supplies. Schroeder walking straight into Gazprom. UKG has been training Ukrainian troops for the last decade, the French wouldn't have gone anywhere near that for fear of upsetting their business interests.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
This is nonsense, it's just a lazy trope that gets trotted out on left wing/anti-Tory twitter accounts/media.

Macron and Schultz were bad as anyone at the start of the war for appeasing putin.

Yes there was a lot of dirty russian money in London and of course that attracts snouts to the trough, but its the same in every other big European capital. Look at how far into bed the Germans were with their energy supplies. Schroeder walking straight into Gazprom. UKG has been training Ukrainian troops for the last decade, the French wouldn't have gone anywhere near that for fear of upsetting their business interests.
The french and Germans still buying Russian gas. Also the french seem extremely reluctant to hand over any arms and are one of the smallest contributors.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
Arrived back from Hurghada this morning where one of the entertainment team was from Ukraine. She's gone there before the war and planned to back to her family after a year. They live in Dnipro & although buses still run there, her family told her not to travel as there are attacks on the buses by Russian soldiers and not everyone ends up making it.
On my first time speaking with her I said Slava Ukraina & that we in the UK are all behind them & wished Putin a trip to hell. She really choked up & I had a wee frog in my throat too. For her to smile each day and make people happy must take real courage. If only we could do more. Its very sad...

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Arrived back from Hurghada this morning where one of the entertainment team was from Ukraine. She's gone there before the war and planned to back to her family after a year. They live in Dnipro & although buses still run there, her family told her not to travel as there are attacks on the buses by Russian soldiers and not everyone ends up making it.
On my first time speaking with her I said Slava Ukraina & that we in the UK are all behind them & wished Putin a trip to hell. She really choked up & I had a wee frog in my throat too. For her to smile each day and make people happy must take real courage. If only we could do more. Its very sad...
Good that she is able to do something positive each day and that you were able to give her words of support 👍👍.

I imagine her parents were referring to possible Russian drone attacks on InterCity buses.
There are also random, untargetted shelling and drone attacks of Dnipro-petrovsk city.

Just for interest, the usual route for Ukrainians returning for a visit is a flight (or train) to Poland, followed by a night train direct to Ukrainian cities - these routes have been operated safely for a while now as far as we know.

Hope you had a decent pre Xmas holiday 🎅😎. UTA.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A former TV journalist who announced she would challenge President Putin in Russia's spring election has been barred from standing.

Independent politician Yekaterina Duntsova wanted to run on a platform to end the war with Ukraine.

But the electoral commission voted unanimously to reject her candidacy three days after her application, citing 100 "mistakes" on her form.

papachris

A former TV journalist who announced she would challenge President Putin in Russia's spring election has been barred from standing.

Independent politician Yekaterina Duntsova wanted to run on a platform to end the war with Ukraine.

But the electoral commission voted unanimously to reject her candidacy three days after her application, citing 100 "mistakes" on her form.
Brave lady! Hope she doesn't 'disappear ' now

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
It seems that there might have been an anti war candidate (Ekaterina Duntsova) standing against Putin in Russia’s imminent election. Surprisingly 🤦‍♂️she’s been banned from standing as she made errors in her application form

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Exactly 100?

No wonder she didn't get a look in.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Exactly 100?

No wonder she didn't get a look in.
Indeed.

It is interesting that Putin is not maintaining any semblance of fairness in the process.
I'm wondering if he deliberately chose (possibly through misplaced confidence) the round figure of 100 to send a message of defiance to the rest of the world.

After all, the iron curtain is falling once again. Is there any point in maintaining any pretence to the outside world?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here