Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Hungary blocks €50bn EU cash for Ukraine

:mad:
The EU will either have to seek a deal with Hungary or move to change the rules so that no one member nation can veto decisions like this.

Assuming this will take time, I would expect Hungary to be marginalised or sidelined, at least for the short term.

There's no escaping that it is bad news for Ukraine and will give comfort to Putin.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
The EU will either have to seek a deal with Hungary or move to change the rules so that no one member nation can veto decisions like this.

Assuming this will take time, I would expect Hungary to be marginalised or sidelined, at least for the short term.

There's no escaping that it is bad news for Ukraine and will give comfort to Putin.
TBH since Russia's invasion it has been obvious where Hungary's sympathies have been & should have been 'persuaded' sooner to change.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

Problem is that any vote to remove veto power could surely itself be vetoed?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Problem is that any vote to remove veto power could surely itself be vetoed?
You may be right in theory, but if that were to happen in practice, then the EU would risk descending into stasis. I don't think that is likely, desirable or at all acceptable for the EU. Much more likely is that the EU would find a way round it.

I'm reminded of when Finland and Sweden were making noises of joining NATO. Turkey objected to their accession on the grounds that they were harbouring Kurdish separatists. Despite this impasse, Finland has since joined NATO, and following a US-Turkey defence deal, Turkey has agreed to Sweden joining as well.

The EU knows that Russia represents a lasting threat to peace in Europe, and that funding for Ukraine from the US cannot be relied upon. I am confident that a mixture of carrot and stick diplomacy, economic levers, and strong arm tactics by the EU, will see the release of funds to Ukraine. At the beginning of the war, all 27 finance ministers of the EU member states met to discuss how best to cripple Russia, a nuclear super-power, via sanctions. Don't underestimate the power of the EU.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

There’s always a deal to be done and that’s what Orban is playing for. Ever since he came to power he comes across as being pro Russia / anti Euro - and that’s not what the EU or the world currently needs. He’s simply blackmailing the EU - he can’t seriously believe the Hungary’s lot is better placed siding with Russia than the EU.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Individual EU countries can still give what they want to Ukraine. Orban can't stop that.

I reckon the EU now needs to halt all EU funding to Hungary until Orban stops being Putin's man.
Putin’s lapdog - or “bitch”, if you will.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Good thread on how Orban seized power and the corruption he has used to maintain it.

This isn't a democratic country, and it shouldn't be any wonder why Orban licks Putins arse or looks to him.

Putin has already got the total fascist Kleptocracy that frog face Orban seeks to emulate.

Last edited:

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Good thread on how Orban seized power and the corruption he has used to maintain it.

This isn't a democratic country, and it shouldn't be any wonder why Orban links Putins arse or looks to him.

Putin has already got the total fascist Kleptocracy that frog face Orban seeks to emulate.

Good summary by Fred Fella
Orban seems to have it all sewn up
Hungary isnt a democracy anymore

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

This isn't a democratic country, and it shouldn't be any wonder why Orban licks Putins arse or looks to him.

Very interesting thread thanks

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
What has happened to decent people in our world.
They've checked out because wankers keep on lying to them and just continue lying when their lies are exposed.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I lurk more than contribute but this is a cause I support. A mate and I recently purchased and deliverd a Shogun Sport to Ukraine so I know a little bit about how important these vehicles are to their effort. So if you agree please sign the petition at Change.Org, it may do a bit of good. I’ve tried to link it below, but not sure it worked - many thanks

HTTPS://chng.it/zYT47CF5gQ
Mate. Well done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here