Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
:wozza:

America should put the Chinese flag on US military aircraft and then "bomb the s---' out of Russia", Donald Trump has told Republican donors.

The former US president told his audience in New Orleans added: "[Then] we say – China did it, we didn’t do, China did it, and then they start fighting with each other and we sit back and watch.”

His suggestion of mounting a false flag operation with US F-22 fighter jets was greeted with laughter by an audience of approximately 250 major donors in New Orleans.

Mr Trump, who was a fierce critic of Nato while in office, then rounded on the alliance’s response to the crisis describing it as a “paper tiger”.

Hopefully laughing at him, not with him. Yeah I know.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
I believe that this was the place that was the subject of an Athletic article recently. The place is very poor but the football team is full of highly paid superstars that subsequently qualified for Europe or some such thing

It’s where the team Sheriff are based. In the Champions League this season and I maybe wrong but beat Real Madrid . Sheriff are a company that have a monopoly of shops , garages etc in transnistra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looks like something out of Star Wars.

Excellent news that the Russians are protesting, more bravery

5B47A7BC-47D2-4F07-868B-8E31EA6F69C7.jpeg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60640204

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Evgeny Lebedev, who was made a Lord by Johnson and has never spoken in the upper house since, bought The Evening Standard for a quid because his father loved it when stationed in London with The KGB I read today. Lovely stuff.

also own the Independent. Lebedev senior runs a paper with Gorbachev, and one time opposition to Putin.
how much of a security risk is someone who has taken the title for the vanity and not made political moves?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Transnistria.
Until this week, I'd never even heard of it. I doubt if I'm the only one...

Officially it is part of the Republic of Moldova but is not controlled by them. It is very much an artificial creation, originally by the Communists in 1924 when it carved out a few areas on the eastern bank of the Dniester River and called it the Moldavia ASSR (an autonomous unit within the USSR) in order to encourage those who lived across the river to join it. The current territory of Moldova inhabits the historical province of Bessarabia and was part of the medieval principality of Moldavia until subjugated by the Ottoman Empire in the 16th century. They in turn lost it to the Russians in 1812 who controlled it until the end of the First World War when the Romanians moved in. Bessarabia was also part of Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and returned to Soviet rule in 1939 though lost to the Romanians again between 1941-44. After the Second World War the 1924 creation was bolted onto the historic province to dilute the Romanian speaking population with ethnic Slavs - much the same happened with Estonia, Latvia and to a lesser extent Lithuania - in order to ensure any local national inclinations were undermined by those loyal to the regime through ethnicity. Hence, when the USSR dissolved in 1991 fighting broke out almost immediately resulting in a Russian 'peace keeping' force being sent in and ceasefire agreement in 1992. The main fear of those in Transnistra is Moldova rejoining Romania.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Officially it is part of the Republic of Moldova but is not controlled by them. It is very much an artificial creation, originally by the Communists in 1924 when it carved out a few areas on the eastern bank of the Dniester River and called it the Moldavia ASSR (an autonomous unit within the USSR) in order to encourage those who lived across the river to join it. The current territory of Moldova inhabits the historical province of Bessarabia and was part of the medieval principality of Moldavia until subjugated by the Ottoman Empire in the 16th century. They in turn lost it to the Russians in 1812 who controlled it until the end of the First World War when the Romanians moved in. Bessarabia was also part of Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and returned to Soviet rule in 1939 though lost to the Romanians again between 1941-44. After the Second World War the 1924 creation was bolted onto the historic province to dilute the Romanian speaking population with ethnic Slavs - much the same happened with Estonia, Latvia and to a lesser extent Lithuania - in order to ensure any local national inclinations were undermined by those loyal to the regime through ethnicity. Hence, when the USSR dissolved in 1991 fighting broke out almost immediately resulting in a Russian 'peace keeping' force being sent in and ceasefire agreement in 1992. The main fear of those in Transnistra is Moldova rejoining Romania.

Thankyou.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks like something out of Star Wars.

Excellent news that the Russians are protesting, more bravery

View attachment 145814

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60640204

Incredibly brave for anyone to indulge in peaceful protest on the streets of Russia these days, the " Police " are effectively state thugs, Eventually though, even they will crack if enough stand against them peacefully. Invariably there will be a tipping point as those thugs hiding behind their paramilitary gear are people too, difficult to maintain the thuggery when they see its their mothers, sisters and brothers doing the protesting and you stop getting paid.

I think Putin could be in serious trouble at home the longer this goes on and the sanctions bite.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
It’s where the team Sheriff are based. In the Champions League this season and I maybe wrong but beat Real Madrid . Sheriff are a company that have a monopoly of shops , garages etc in transnistra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their manager is the one who has been in the news, gone back to fight for Ukraine

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
its a highly dubious claim, EU froze more with one bank than counted there. i suspect the UK number is counting indirect assets, i.e. all assts of VTB bank.

Apologies, I responded to this earlier with a misunderstanding of your post.

franks brother

Reports from St Petersburg radio station: "For last 20 years, Ukraine has been making a nuclear weapon. It is now ready, but has been moved to Lviv, away from our troops. Schoolchildren throughout Russia are writing letters of thanks to the Motherland's soldiers for their heroism"

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1500503401548898312[/tweet]

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
French president Emmanuel Macron spoke again to Russian president Vladimir Putin today. Was a 1hr45min call made by Macron. Putin reiterated his demands for:

1. The "de-Nazification" of Ukraine

2. The "neutralisation" of Ukraine (ie no joining Nato and no weapons).

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Incredibly brave for anyone to indulge in peaceful protest on the streets of Russia these days, the " Police " are effectively state thugs, Eventually though, even they will crack if enough stand against them peacefully. Invariably there will be a tipping point as those thugs hiding behind their paramilitary gear are people too, difficult to maintain the thuggery when they see its their mothers, sisters and brothers doing the protesting and you stop getting paid.

I think Putin could be in serious trouble at home the longer this goes on and the sanctions bite.

I hope you are right. Ironic the future of world peace is in the hands of the Russian people and not its leaders. The issue is how to communicate this to them all and convince them the their leader is a latter day Hitler and this is a war against the rest of the world.
The only communications Putin can’t control is a paper drop to his people and his troops. You’d have thought that millions of bits of recyclable paper could be dropped high enough outside of Russia to land there, and also dropped on those holed up in Ukraine. It’s a thought.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Latest sit rep from my friend in Kyiv Sun am local time on 6 Mar.

Hi All,
Today in the Ukrainian Orthodox Religion is a day of forgiveness. Forgiveness gave out at 1225 local when fire exchanges began with Russians trying to break through, I assume, to Broovary and then Kyiv.

According to the Ukrainian government website a downed Russian pilot had on him documents that show Putin's intention is to totally destroy Ukraine as a political entity. In a warehouse in the north of Kyiv, a complete collection of Russian parade uniforms was discovered. It appears the Russian intention was to hold a victory parade once Kyiv was taken. Some of the vehicles captured from the long convoy to the north of Kyiv contained loads of complete sets of riot control gear including gas, batons, face masks, and helmets. The latest Russian dead according to this website is in excess of 11000. The Ukrainians are expecting the Russians to start carpet shelling and bombing of Odessa in the next couple of days.

When Zelenski speaks to the Ukrainian people every night at the end of his address he moves his broadcast microphone from one side of him to the other. This is because Ukrainians have analyzed Putin's speeches to select groups of military and civilian people and have discovered they are staged. Putin is alone speaking from a bunker. The groups he is supposedly addressing are at other locations. They have analyzed the eyesight direction of people in the various groups and other telltales such as microphone placement. Hence the theatrical movement of the microphone by president Zelenski. Hello Putin I am actually here.

Israel's prime minister achieved nothing on his visit to Putin yesterday. Putin told him that when Kyivs government capitulates he will order the Russian army to stop fighting. Effectively the same message he gave Macron of France.

A retired Royal Marine arrived to fight the Russians yesterday it was a great morale booster for Ukraine. I wonder if special free flights were laid on by different airlines to fly fighters into Poland for transit to Ukraine and the army fighting the Russians would it be overbooked? I think so.

I wish Biden and NATO leaders would stop saying we will not send troops to fight in Ukraine. We all know this. To continuously repeat it makes Putin think everybody is scared of him and further emboldens him.

It has gone quiet.

So will I for the moment.

Slava Ukraini

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fair enough.

I think Johnson’s past actions do inform my judgement on his current/future actions because his mistakes, lies and cover-ups are so consistent and indeed persistent, that he’s blown any faith I could ever have in him.

I have reserved judgment somewhat on recent events, simply because we don’t have all the behind the scenes information. But I am sceptical about a PM that has so many ties to Russia, receives £1.8m of donations form Russians, spends weekends at Russian politician’s mansions etc.

Anyway, I’ve made my point. I’ll drop it now.

Sadly, this.

It’s unrealistic to expect people to treat every new challenge for this government as a fresh start, and to not have their judgement influenced / clouded / informed by previous experience. If the people making the calls are the same people who have proven untrustworthy, uncaring or incompetent, repeatedly over the last two years, it stands to reason that at the very least you might view their latest efforts through a lens of some scepticism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here