Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I hope you are right. Ironic the future of world peace is in the hands of the Russian people and not its leaders. The issue is how to communicate this to them all and convince them the their leader is a latter day Hitler and this is a war against the rest of the world.
The only communications Putin can’t control is a paper drop to his people and his troops. You’d have thought that millions of bits of recyclable paper could be dropped high enough outside of Russia to land there, and also dropped on those holed up in Ukraine. It’s a thought.

Yes it seems so simplistic. However, in conjunction with the Russian people we need their billionaire oligarchs around the world to start feeling the pinch and then it could be the end for Putin. However, that plan is a long one and in the interim Ukraine gets battered and thousands die.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sadly, this.

It’s unrealistic to expect people to treat every new challenge for this government as a fresh start, and to not have their judgement influenced ‘ clouded ‘ informed by previous experience. If the people making the calls are the same people who have proven untrustworthy, uncaring or incompetent, repeatedly over the last two years, it stands to reason that at the very least you might view their latest efforts through a lens of some scepticism.

But whatabout Blair?

No, seriously, the present lot are off the scale, with the blond pied piper and his coterie of shameless rats.

Blair did want things to be better and did try (and hugely succeeded). Some are upset he wasn't red in tooth and claw, while others are upset that he got rich. FFS. Careful what you wish away. Innit.

The oaf Johnson doesn't even pretend he gives a shit. His bank balance, his ego and his cock. That's it :shrug:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Looks like something out of Star Wars.

Excellent news that the Russians are protesting, more bravery

View attachment 145814

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60640204

It's worth highlighting a few things from that report.

Nearly 4000 people arrested on Sunday.
In the last 11 days, more than 10,000 have been arrested.
Detentions took place in 53 cities, even in Siberian cities.

More and more people are becoming aware of the reality of the war, beyond what they are fed on state run TV.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are we allowed to judge Johnson’s government yet?

[emoji38]ol:
No, of course not. You have to remember that he's doing his best and be more understanding. .. best also to try to forget that the scenes on the streets of Moscow could be repeated HERE if he gets his new policing Bill through ...

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Reports from St Petersburg radio station: "For last 20 years, Ukraine has been making a nuclear weapon. It is now ready, but has been moved to Lviv, away from our troops. Schoolchildren throughout Russia are writing letters of thanks to the Motherland's soldiers for their heroism"

It's really disturbing. This type of thing and the shutting down of access to social media

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Speaking to another parent originally from Poland today, and he told me his sister still lives in Poland and has worked for a bank for 11years.
She has been told not to go to work Monday as they have no cash left, it’s been nothing but withdrawals as Polish people are preparing for war, his family all think war is inevitable with Russia.

Let's hope not for the millions that live in Europe. Is Putin that much of a madman, probably. Hopefully his inner circle will turn b4 this happens

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wonder what's going through the minds of those in the UK who have been wanting to change our system because they don't get the government they want? These include those who regret their beloved Greens or Liberals don't get a sniff, and want PR to fix this (as if) and the Farrage gang who are so far from electability they have given up democracy completely, and advocate disenfranchising all the 'awkward' elements of the electorate (blacks, Jews, women, the 'triple enemy') and stoking a hooligan uprising. That is, when they can be bothered to drag themselves away from the tit of easy money (writing careless newspaper diatribes, pontificating on GB News, etc.).

No. Rather than bleat about changing our system we need to hold our elected representatives to account. Parliament should not be a playround for rich people to direct public money into the bank accounts of themselves and their chums, nor should it be a platform for trade unionists to filch public money to promote whatever it is they think is in their interest. The latter, of course, is very small beer. Craft, I would imagine. But I include it for balance and fairness. I'm very fair, me.

Wake up folks. The Johnson gang is already busy attempting to enact legislation to protect themselves from scrutiny, and riding roughshod over us all.

So, please, let's park 'changing the system' for a bit, and work towards stopping our present HMG from ****ing us up the **** with it. Eh?

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Poland are doing a lot of the heavy lifting here but hats off the USA for their latest plan.

Apparently, the Polish have a number of Mig fighters and other flying things that Ukraine pilots are trained to fly. It seems that the states will upgrade the Polish with US fighters for each one they hand over to the Ukrainian Air Force. Should be good to go fairly quickly, that convoy might not make it after all.

Edit: Ukraine will get 23x multi-role MiG 29s & 18x Sukhoi Su-22 fighter bombers. Poland will be compensated with F-16s & F-35s.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Let's hope not for the millions that live in Europe. Is Putin that much of a madman, probably. Hopefully his inner circle will turn b4 this happens

The best thing that can happen is for Putin to get bumped off and the only way that will happen is if those that he has made rich over decades see it disappearing. It will happen internally - the West can't get to him.

This is exactly why sanctions are more powerful than a no fly zone in the overall scheme of things, It doesn't help the poor people trapped in Ukrainian cities unfortunately but we are now looking at the toss up between hundreds of thousands dying and tens of millions.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Speaking to another parent originally from Poland today, and he told me his sister still lives in Poland and has worked for a bank for 11years.
She has been told not to go to work Monday as they have no cash left, it’s been nothing but withdrawals as Polish people are preparing for war, his family all think war is inevitable with Russia.
You've been had !

Utter nonsense

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Poland are doing a lot of the heavy lifting here but hats off the USA for their latest plan.

Apparently, the Polish have a number of Mig fighters and other flying things that Ukraine pilots are trained to fly. It seems that the states will upgrade the Polish with US fighters for each one they hand over to the Ukrainian Air Force. Should be good to go fairly quickly, that convoy might not make it after all.

Edit: Ukraine will get 23 x Mulit role MiG 29s & 18 Sukhoi Su-22 fighter bombers. Poland will be compensated with F-16s & F-35s.

Issue is the Russians have their S400 anti aircraft batteries which appear to be quite effective taking out fighter planes. These need to be neutralised but would guess most are based over the border

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Edit: Ukraine will get 23x multi-role MiG 29s & 18x Sukhoi Su-22 fighter bombers. Poland will be compensated with F-16s & F-35s.

Win-Win !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You've been had !

Utter nonsense

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Well, I'm glad you've dismissed that with undisputable linked evidence and an unbreakable, reasoned argument and not just added your own unverifiable nonsense.

I work for a Romanian company and one of my colleagues had to go home early to calm his wife down on the day the war started as she was hysterical with worry. That neither means that Romanians are about to start a run on their own banks, nor that her worry is unfounded. It's a natural, human response to what could be Putin's greatest humiliation or could be Nuclear World War 3.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Where is the line between NATO countries handing over fighter jets to the Ukrainian airforce and NATO military interference? It seems a very fine one to me.

Also edit: MiG’s and Sukhoi’s are Soviet / Russian made planes. How come Poland, a NATO country, has those types of aircraft to hand over to Ukraine?

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Reports that Russian soldiers have abandoned the convoy and are camping in the woods and waiting this out. Effectively refusing to soldier.
It doesn’t say how many or of it’s a significant number but may be why the convoy isn’t moving anywhere.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Where is the line between NATO countries handing over fighter jets to the Ukrainian airforce and NATO military interference? It seems a very fine one to me.

Also edit: MiG’s and Sukhoi’s are Soviet / Russian made planes. How come Poland, a NATO country, has those types of aircraft to hand over to Ukraine?

The USA & Soviet Union/Russia have always supplied arms to the others enemy be it Syria, the Afghan mujahideen or Vietnam.

Also - the MiG 29 first flew in 1977. Think they were ‘hand-me-downs’ from the Soviet era.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Reports that Russian soldiers have abandoned the convoy and are camping in the woods and waiting this out. Effectively refusing to soldier.
It doesn’t say how many or of it’s a significant number but may be why the convoy isn’t moving anywhere.

I heard that in General Sir Tony Radakin's interview with Sophie Raworth this morning. He said the reports of low morale, at least in the convoy, were absolutely true.

He also said that the Russian military was weaker than it was 10 days ago. Obvious when you think about it.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Those MiG 29s first flew in 1977. Think they were ‘hand-me-downs’ from the Soviet era.

Thanks. I knew they were fairly old as my uncle was an aircraft engineer in the RAF and his and my auntie’s house was always covered in military paraphernalia. He used to tell me all sorts about all types of plane including the old MiGs; I wished I’d listened more looking back as it would no doubt interest me a lot now.

I digress, but being attacked by your own planes must be somewhat humiliating for Russia, no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here