Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Well, I'm glad you've dismissed that with undisputable linked evidence and an unbreakable, reasoned argument and not just added your own unverifiable nonsense.

I work for a Romanian company and one of my colleagues had to go home early to calm his wife down on the day the war started as she was hysterical with worry. That neither means that Romanians are about to start a run on their own banks, nor that her worry is unfounded. It's a natural, human response to what could be Putin's greatest humiliation or could be Nuclear World War 3.
I'm sure lots of people are worried. Romanian guy I work with has been tapped up by the army and told he needs to be on standby imagine how that feels.

But I know lots of people in Poland and theres even a few polish posters on here that could debunk the fake news re runs on the banks there.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Apologies,
BBC

In his interview with the BBC's Sunday Morning show, the defence chief painted a picture of Russian forces suffering from heavy losses and low morale, with kit failings and a massive military convoy stalled outside the capital, Kyiv.
The Kremlin has lost more troops in a week than the UK did in 20 years in Afghanistan, he said, and some "lead elements of Russian forces" have been decimated.
He described stories of soldiers whose morale had been so knocked they had abandoned the convoy destined for Kyiv to camp in the forest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60637185

Doesn’t sound like it’s many unfortunately.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Thanks. I knew they were fairly old as my uncle was an aircraft engineer in the RAF and his and my auntie’s house was always covered in military paraphernalia. He used to tell me all sorts about all types of plane including the old MiGs; I wished I’d listened more looking back as it would no doubt interest me a lot now.

I digress, but being attacked by your own planes must be somewhat humiliating for Russia, no?

Indeed but in reference to a post above, I suspect that Russia has most of the Ukraine covered by their S-400 Triumf SAM systems.

In essence, Ukrainian aircraft are very vulnerable to ground missile attack and don’t seem to be doing a lot of sorties.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Also edit: MiG’s and Sukhoi’s are Soviet / Russian made planes. How come Poland, a NATO country, has those types of aircraft to hand over to Ukraine?

You buy aircraft on a long term basis, hence some US B52's are now well over 60 years old.

In addition once the Iron Curtain fell in 1989 I'm sure the Russian Aerospace Industry was happy to sell aircraft to whoever, as long as they paid up?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I don’t understand why they would lie to me, maybe the sister lives close to the border, and locals seeing the desperation and fear, feel more threatened.

Believe it or not, I trust them.
I checked with a couple of people and there is a limit at most banks now as to how much can be taken out. So, utter nonsense a tad harsh.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1500225329595617286[/tweet]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Indeed but in reference to a post above, I suspect that Russia has most of the Ukraine covered by their S-400 Triumf SAM systems.

In essence, Ukrainian aircraft are very vulnerable to ground missile attack and don’t seem to be doing a lot of sorties.

as are the Russian, not a lot of either in the sky. this sale of fighter is a little disingenous, apparently Ukraine airforce took modest hits first day while have a few victories and loses each day - indicating they are flying. as you say its about the air defense. also operational airbases, take out the runway and 40 delivered MIG-29 are going to sit out the war. why they want NATO to do the air cover, take off and land in Poland/Romania.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
as are the Russian, not a lot of either in the sky. this sale of fighter is a little disingenous, apparently Ukraine airforce took modest hits first day while have a few victories and loses each day - indicating they are flying. as you say its about the air defense. also operational airbases, take out the runway and 40 delivered MIG-29 are going to sit out the war. why they want NATO to do the air cover, take off and land in Poland/Romania.

The Polish/Romanian airforce runways would be targeted by Russian cruise missiles very quickly if this was to happen. That would be a slippery slope to WW3 (with the Nukes not happening straight away but rather when Russia was about to lose, if Hitler would have had a button in his Berlin bunker, he’d have hit it).

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
It's a very old - and essentially honourable - tradition. It's called 'Women and children first' - although I'm a little surprised to find it still being exercised in these anti-traditional times.

Well obviously you are a man of little brain and compassion then sitting in your comfortable home in the UK and I am sure if you saw this pointless regulation yourself first hand then you might very well change your mind.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Putin has unleashed hell on Earth in some cities in Ukraine's east.

If that reaches Kyiv do we just sit back and watch a thousand Srebrenicas on our TVs ? Just tutting and shaking our heads.

I think inaction becomes unsustainable at that point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Putin has unleashed hell on Earth in some cities in Ukraine's east.

If that reaches Kyiv do we just sit back and watch a thousand Srebrenicas on our TVs ? Just tutting and shaking our heads.

I think inaction becomes unsustainable at that point.

Unsustainable and unjustifiable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sadly, this.

It’s unrealistic to expect people to treat every new challenge for this government as a fresh start, and to not have their judgement influenced / clouded / informed by previous experience. If the people making the calls are the same people who have proven untrustworthy, uncaring or incompetent, repeatedly over the last two years, it stands to reason that at the very least you might view their latest efforts through a lens of some scepticism.

Very much this. And given the way his government have acted during this war your points have even further credence.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A couple of days ago: "Look, some European countries have stopped a few expensive boats sailing off. When are our shit government going to act?"

Now, it's been stated that the UK have frozen more assets than any other nation, and some try to claim that is only because there is more cash here than elsewhere.

Blimey - tough crowd.

Let's be clear, nobody was moaning about 'a few expensive boats' but lots of posters have moaned about the speed with which Britain is introducing sanctions. Liz Truss gave a headline which I can't find anywhere but The Daily Telegraph which because of the Telegraph's paywall, I haven't been able to read or quote.

That headline that you have quoted was actually 'Britain freezes more Russian bank assets than any other country in the world' and then you go on to say that 'some try to claim'. Well it seems there may well be a factual basis to what 'some try to claim'.

Liz Truss Confirms A Full Asset Freeze On All Russian Banks Will Be Announced "In Days"

Truss announced that two new pieces of sanctions legislation will be added to the UK’s wider package of economic deterrents. The first is the introduction of new powers to prevent Russian banks from clearing payments in sterling. More than 50% of Russia’s trade is denominated in pounds or sterling and the measure is being introduced in conjunction with the USA.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/liz-truss-confirms-a-full-asset-freeze-on-all-russian-banks-will-be-announced-in-days

I really can't imagine after the last two years of lies, misinterpretations, cover ups, dishonesty, breaking UK parliamentary law, International law, blatantly giving Government contracts and Sovereign honours to friends and associates, why the 'The Crowd' maybe a little tough ???

And, don't get me wrong, I (and I'm sure everyone else) backs this move by Truss completely and utterly.

It's just that when people simply leap on and quote headlines released by this Government without any thought or investigation, I find it really depressing :(

But there are more important things to concentrate on just now, like ensuring all of the West (and elsewhere) introduce maximum sanctions as soon as possible in order to save lives.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Let's be clear, nobody was moaning about 'a few expensive boats' but lots of posters have moaned about the speed with which Britain is introducing sanctions. Liz Truss gave a headline which I can't find anywhere but The Daily Telegraph which because of the Telegraph's paywall, I haven't been able to read or quote.

That headline that you have quoted was actually 'Britain freezes more Russian bank assets than any other country in the world' and then you go on to say that 'some try to claim'. Well it seems there may well be a factual basis to what 'some try to claim'.

Liz Truss Confirms A Full Asset Freeze On All Russian Banks Will Be Announced "In Days"

Truss announced that two new pieces of sanctions legislation will be added to the UK’s wider package of economic deterrents. The first is the introduction of new powers to prevent Russian banks from clearing payments in sterling. More than 50% of Russia’s trade is denominated in pounds or sterling and the measure is being introduced in conjunction with the USA.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/liz-truss-confirms-a-full-asset-freeze-on-all-russian-banks-will-be-announced-in-days

Now I back this move completely and utterly but after the last two years of lies, misinterpretations, cover ups, dishonesty, breaking UK parliamentary law, International law, blatantly giving Government contracts and Sovereign honours to friends and associates, I can see why the 'The Crowd' maybe a little tough ???

And, don't get me wrong, I (and I'm sure everyone else) backs this move by Truss completely and utterly.

It's just that when people simply leap on and quote headlines released by this Government without any thought or investigation, I find it really depressing :(

But there are more important things to concentrate on just now, like ensuring all of the West (and elsewhere) introduce maximum sanctions as soon as possible in order to save lives.

I posted an extract from the original article - here’s the link to it (which I didn’t post) https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/05/britain-freezes-russian-bank-assets-country-world/

May still be paywalled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here