Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rowett leaves Birmingham

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If that was the case:
a) let Norwich pay for him
b) keep the backroom staff for a while so that the team can play properly until a new manager comes in. Possibly just suspend the manager for doing something wrong, get the team to feel they've been ditched and they need to prove their exiting manager wrong.

You are assuming that the backroom staff have more loyalty to their club than Colin Calderwood...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If the owners wanted to drag it out maybe, but we are reaching a critical stage of the season, so a manager with an eye elsewhere is hardly ideal on the back of a couple of thrashings :shrug:
If that was the case, suspend him. Norwich would still need to pay you for him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Mirror saying that Rowett is being targeted by Norwich and that's why he has been sacked. Would make more sense .....

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk
He must have been driving around the M25 at some point I guess.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You are assuming that the backroom staff have more loyalty to their club than Colin Calderwood...
Colin went because he had an offer he wanted - that's life (we got compensation). And the backroom staff could all go to Norwich if Rowett went there, but until then why wouldn't they carry on doing their job?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If the owners wanted to drag it out maybe, but we are reaching a critical stage of the season, so a manager with an eye elsewhere is hardly ideal on the back of a couple of thrashings :shrug:

All supposition anyway

There's no way it was anything to do with Rowett whoring himself around IMO. It just doesn't fit in with his persona, he's got a good rapport with the players and fans there and had that club on an upward curve.

The defining factor here is that the Trazillion Billion Shiney Trophies Group (or whatever they're called), completed their purchase of BCFC at the end of October. Three new directors joined the board this week. So what happened is what nearly nearly ALWAYS happens - they sack the incumbent manager, as they want to install their own man and "make a statement".

Whats unusual this time is fact that they've binned off a well liked and respected manager, who may not have been a "big name", but who knows the division, knows the club inside out, and had been steering that club on an upward curve for the last couple of years. Its a decision born out of ignorance and vanity, and I hope and expect it to end in abject disaster.

Starting Saturday.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Colin went because he had an offer he wanted - that's life (we got compensation). And the backroom staff could all go to Norwich if Rowett went there, but until then why wouldn't they carry on doing their job?

I am not going to try and second guess the thinking of Oriental owners of second tier British football clubs anymore :smile:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am not going to try and second guess the thinking of Oriental owners of second tier British football clubs anymore :smile:
Indeed, we don't know. But if it's because Norwich want him, I think it's particularly dumb to just sack him. If it's because they've got Zola, I think it's particularly dumb for different reasons.

At the moment, my money is on dumb.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Is there ANYONE outside of this Trillion Trophy shower who thinks Brum will now finish the season in a better league position than they currently have?

(Obviously they'll win on Saturday)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Looking at the the games before Ipswich they had lost 3-0 to Barnsley and 4-0 to Newcastle. Maybe it was this that did it?

They have averaged 1.4 points a game over the last 10 games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Only when they are struggling in the lower half of the table. To lose a manager and the backroom staff who has got the team flying will be a blow to the players.

Exactly.
OK, they got a bit of a clump at Newcastle and a surprise coupon-busting stuffing at home to Barnsley last week, but they were back to winning ways last night and are serious contenders for top 6. Rowett had them punching well above their weight this season, so those players are really going to feel like they've just had the rug pulled from under them.

Whatever happens now, even if the new man has his feet under the table tomorrow, they are in complete and utter chaos for Saturday.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Zola is in Birmingham to finalise the deal. Good appointment on the basis of Watford a few years back.

I work in Birmingham. After the initial shock they've reacted quite well in the office. Given they've potentially got money to spend it is being viewed positively.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I work in Birmingham. After the initial shock they've reacted quite well in the office. Given they've potentially got money to spend it is being viewed positively.
They sound like ****ers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Zola is in Birmingham to finalise the deal. Good appointment on the basis of Watford a few years back.

Really ?

Watford was playoffs in his first season, but lower midtable halfway through the next, and he's failed abjectly in 2 more jobs in Italy and Qatar (!!) since then. Personally, I'd be (1) absolutely STEAMING at the sacking of Rowett, and (2) gutted and underwhelmed if the replacement is indeed Zola.

Typical clueless Chinese owners strike again.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So Zola will be up all night watching videos of Birmingham so he can pick his team, and videos of us so he can plan his tactics.

And then training tomorrow.

I'm guessing one of the two teams will be slightly better prepared for the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here